Thanksgiving?

by freeflyingfaerie 15 Replies latest jw friends

• clarity
    clarity

Must be hard for 'born in's' to really get the holiday celebrations!

Without the sense of being familiar with the feeling of the day ...

it would be like speaking without being able to hear...

Start your own family rituals, and soon you will really look

forward to the enjoyment of them. Humans need ritual to

break-up the stretches of time ..I think!

Wishing all a happy thanksgiving!

clarity

• mind blown
    mind blown

"...and then the natives were slaughtered and driven out of the lands in the coming years"

I haven't participated in the holiday for years because of that very reason. Call me crazy. But this year I am going to dinner with a friend and have a nice yummy turkey dinner......

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

rebel~ It does seem like it has evolved into being simply a harvest family dinner...or whatever you want to make of it...of course that goes with just about anything, I guess. We create our own ways and styles of living and being

skeeter~ yeah, I did actually watch it..you're right, it didn't end well. Maybe not Alaska alone. A girl can dream of the tropics or some wild and exotic escape, cant she? :)

Here's the sad part (poor me): If togetherness is the truest stuff of life...well then I'm screwed.

The last few years I was a stray taken in by some great friends on Thanksgiving. It was just about being warm and together, and I didn't give much thought to the history of it. It was just a new experience. I've since moved and the social life is well...still taking form. Holiday or any other day of the year, it's true to say that sharing your life with people you love and like makes life rich. Ok, enough of that.

"melting of traditions"...I like that

Gopher~ ha ha! thank you WT for helping to create a monster!....now I am still ultra sensitive about certain things, and though my reasons may be different now, there's still a strong reaction at times when certain subjects are brought up. I'll spontaneously go into deep thought and get lost there

clarity~ "like speaking without being able to hear"...interesting

mind blown~ you're crazy :)

enjoy your dinner with your friend!

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

Obsessing again..

..About the 'melting' of traditions (Skeeter :) )..

This sounds beautiful at first, as if there is some peaceful cultural quilt being created or a braid of colours from various peoples. But, I think maybe the melting has become a diluting in this case.

When I walk through a store and see the advertisements and products that are for the holidays, it seems to me that the people who have created the holiday rituals for today are those in the commercial element. Regarding Thanksgiving, I don't really sense a feeling of honour and love for the natural world (that many Native American traditionsare based on). I see something else.

Again, I go back to my cave..

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

We are going to have a nice meal here at home with daughter and her daughter. Grandkid asked if we were going to celebrate this holiday. She is 14 and has never celebrated anything, but she's out of the cult now and ready to enjoy all the good stuff Americans are free to do!!! i am so happy to be alive to see these holidays, this year!

-Marina

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

So today is not about history. I won't ever celebrate a Thanksgiving for its real meaning (just don't buy it).

It'll be about being with friends. More specifically~ my ex's uncle's ex and her family. Wow, how did that happen.

Maybe it's the JW background, maybe it's my inherent personality? But I'm just not very traditional. Enjoying time with great people, however is good stuff, and since times like these are when people seem to come together, count me in.

Cheers to all~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit