What is "theocratic warfare?" Is this official doctrine of JW's?

by Faithful Witness 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I have never heard of "theocratic warfare," until I started reading blogs from, and interacting with ex-JW's online.

Are there any articles that mention this practice? I never once heard of it while we were studying.

Now I'm wondering how many times it's been used on me.

Is this a "skill" they learn in the ministry school, or do they all use it? How prevalent is it?

• Scully
    Scully

Theocratic Warfare™ or Theocratic War Strategy™ is centred around the belief that "While malicious lying is definitely condemned in the Bible, this does not mean that a person is under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it." - Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 2, pages 244, 245.

The citing offers examples, such as Jesus giving evasive answers when he was accused of being "King of the Jews", and of Rahab misdirecting the people looking for the Israelite spies she was concealing. The rationale is that such behaviours kept God's people from coming to harm at the hands of opposers.

if you're wondering if the tactic has ever been used on you, the answer is, without any shadow of a doubt, YES.

During your Studies™ with them, did you ever ask them a question, only to be put off with the promise that it will be covered in a later lesson? Why do you suppose you had to wait to be taught that JWs have to give up celebrations like Chistmas or birthdays? Or that you'd be expected to refuse a blood transfusion? Why do you think the Bible Teach book says you are not getting baptized into an organization, but when you present yourself for baptism you must agree that your "baptism identifies you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with his spirit-directed organization"?

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

"Theocratic warfare" is also used on newly interested ones to give evasive answers to any questions about wacky JW's beliefs until the hook of the "bait & switch" Watchtower religious scam is set. This "skill" is taught in the Theocratic Ministry School & Service Meetings.

• Suraj Khan
    Suraj Khan

I'll just leave this here:

"So, you can't control somebody without telling them a bunch of lies." - L. Ron Hubbard

• cha ching
    cha ching

Dear Faithful Witnesss..... Here it is... WT style... long, wordy, but very revealling...

I highlighted the main points, so you can get to the heart of it, but even the rest of the article is interesting..

cha ching

w78 8/15 pp. 24-26 Her Faith Was Lifesaving ***

RAHAB

WAS DIFFERENT

But what about the woman of Jericho who spoke to the Israelite spies? Who was she? Did she, too, harden her heart? The woman was Rahab, a harlot whose house was situated atop the wall of Jericho. Based on what she had heard about Jehovah’s dealings, she was prompted to acknowledge the superiority of the true God. Rahab told the spies: "I do know that Jehovah will certainly give you the land. . . . Jehovah your God is God in the heavens above and on the earth beneath."—Josh. 2:9-11.

Her faith was not a mere expression of words. Rahab had already acted in harmony with it. How so? First of all, she received the spies into her house, knowing that they were Israelites. In those times, a harlot’s house often served also as an inn, but, even so, Rahab was under no obligation to receive the spies. Since she knew full wellthat the inhabitants of Jericho hated the Israelites, it took faith for Rahab to receive the men into her house.

Later, when the king of Jericho heard that the Israelite spies had gone to Rahab’s house, he sent messengers there, demanding: "Bring out the men that came to you, that have come into your house, for it is to search out all the land that they have come." (Josh. 2:2, 3) This gave Rahab the opportunity to prove her faith. At the time, the spies were on the roof, hidden underneath stalks of flax. (Josh. 2:6) What would Rahab do now? Would she yield to the order of the king? Or, would she side with Jehovah’s people?

To protect the Israelite spies, Rahab used a weapon at her immediate disposalher tongue. She misdirectedthe king’s messengers, saying: "Yes, the men did come to me, and I did not know from where they were. And it came about at the closing of the gate by dark that the men went out. I just do not know where the men have gone. Chase after them quickly, for you will overtake them." (Josh. 2:4, 5) So, besides misdirecting the messengers, Rahab feigned total ignorance and gave not the slightest hint that her sympathies were with the Israelites. The subterfugeevidently also served to discourage any search of her house. Certainly, it took firm faith in Jehovah’s granting success to Israel for Rahab to take a stand against the king of Jericho. Such action, if discovered, could doubtless have cost Rahab her life.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

How interesting that the JW hold up people stading up for what they believe in, not hiding away from thier faith, yet in a story like this the woman denied her faith. Hmmm You stand up for your faith by lying?

The Saints did not lie, which is why they are Saints. They were persecuted for their beliefs that they refused to lie about. Why should this woman or any others be held to a different standard and praised by the JW for having so much faith they lied to get out of being persecuted.

• KariOtt
    KariOtt

I found a disertation on www.silentlambs.org/theobergman.htm that explains theocratic warfare. Its very imformative.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Thanks for the insights. It is ironic, that they lie to your face, while calling you an "honest-hearted one," hoping to recruit you. They are clearly not looking for honest people... We found that out.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I may not be recallling correctly but I believe the term started when Rutherford and others were being prosecuted for sedition or some unAmerican activity during a world war. America and all countries tend to forget about commitment to civil liberties and rights during military struggles. Courts become deferential. The government lawyer cross-examined Rutherford or a key aide if he would lie under oath to protect the WTBTS. The Witness freely admitted that he would lie b/c it was theocratic warfare. It was a provocative statement to the court. Most judges feel witnesses under oath should be truthful.

Many Witnesses thought theocratic warfare was a good reply. It heightens the tension between the Witness and worldly authorities. I don't recall a study of theocratic warfare at the KH during my time but other Witnesses would mention it. It seemed to be part of a culture ofanything to promote the Society with no respect for other people.

Rutherford went looking for trouble and found it. Some people love unnecessary persecution. To be fair, though, the government probably would be unable to make a similar case today under Supreme Court rulings.

I agree that newcomers are not told many doctrines at the start. There is selective revelation of the hard doctrines. Many people might flee if they found out certain beliefs at the beginning. Time and making KH friendships tend to make people less assertive.

Of course, others will understand it more than I do.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Very amazing. The Watchtower was build on lie. Up to this time, I do not understand how Peter denied Jesus and he is stil held up a model example for christian. What a mockery to our intelligence!

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit