Very Big (and Shocking) Contradiction in the Gospels

by DeWandelaar 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

I was visiting a website in order to prove to people that the bible can be seen as a very extremist book.

However... the site also showed some contradictions and although I am aware of most of them I came to one contradiction that was actually very shocking: the part that Satan tries to temp Jesus Christ

Most of the Gospels mention this and the timeframe shows that it happened directly AFTER the baptism of Jesus. However... look at what happens in John!

The Wedding at Cana

John 2

2 On hthe third day (this is the third day AFTER the baptism) there was a wedding at iCana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. 2 Jesus also was invited to the wedding with jhis disciples. 3 When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine.” 4 And Jesus said to her, k“Woman, lwhat does this have to do with me? mMy hour has not yet come.” 5 His mother said to the servants, “Dowhatever he tells you.”

3 days AFTER the wedding Jesus is at a wedding... o wait a minute... he was in the desert... where the hell was he?

• designs
    designs

They held the reception in the middle of the desert

• mgmelkat
    mgmelkat

Which part do you mean? All the gospels I checked says Jesus went into the wilderness and fasted for 40days After he was baptised?

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

uhhhh you might want to re-read John 1 and 2. The first part is basically a prologue and then John TALKS about Jesus, whom he previously baptized. The baptism itself is not in John at all. In John1:29, when Jesus talks to him, he had already been baptized.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

Each gospel says that except John... John states that the day after the baptism Jesus started to call his disciples and three days after the baptism goes to the wedding. This in big contrast to going to the desert for 40 days in the other gospels!

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

They held the reception in the middle of the desert

At Sandals.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

De: Where does it actually indicate how much time elapsed since the baptism? I just read chapter one and the first part of 2. As mentioned, when the story picks up after the epilogue, Jesus baptism in mentioned in passing as something John did a while ago.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

@Barrold... it seems you are right.... yet one might also think why a person like John who was loved by Jesus did not note anything about that important situation (he also do not talk about the sacrements of the last supper which is also strange).

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

john's gospel is kinda weird. he doesn't cover a lot of stuff the other 3 mention. at the same time he has stuff in there not in the other 3.

whatever.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Concerning John's gospel account omitting the institution of the Lord's Evening Meal (which the Synoptics include), but including the discussion in the latter half of John chapter six (about 'eating his flesh and drinking his blood'), see my post # 428 on this thread for possible motives on John's part.

The BECNT-John commentary has an interesting diagram of the first twelve chapters of John's gospel account which also revolves around 7 major signs performed by Jesus. The commentary uses the table to try to help make sense of the way John has the account of Jesus ministry outlined:

Transitional

sections:

First week,

sign

(1:19-2:11)

Final week

sign,

(11:1-12:50)

Major

literary units

or cycles:

Start of

public ministry

(1:19-51)

Ministry cycle

(chaps. 2-4):

Various responses,

elusive language

Festival cycle

(chaps. 5-10):

Increased hostility,

elusive movements

Conclusion of

public ministry

(chaps 11-12):

Jesus withdraws

(11:53-54)

Inclusion

markers

(related

to signs):

The Baptist

(1:19-34)

Cana sign

(2:1-11)

Judean sign

(2:12-22)

Cana sign

(4:46-54)

Judean sign

(5:1-15)

Galilean and

Judean signs

(chaps. 6, 9)

The Baptist

(10:40-42)

Judean sign

(11:1-44;

12:1-2, 9-11,

17-18)

Ending

(12:37-50)

Midpoint

crisis:

Moments of

major crisis

(6:60-71)

(My first real attempt at a table. It appears that either some of the table features don't work, or I don't. Probably the latter.)

Take Care

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit