A child that DIDN'T want to die ... a blood experience you won't read in Awake! or on JW.ORG

by wannabefree 78 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

There are several things in play here before you accept or dismiss this story:

- The story has no names, places, locations... it's hard to verify, a nice anecdote but nothing you can use in either direction

- The child COULD be declared emancipated, the child COULD have been taken away by CPS. Legally, that's a prickly situation though and can only be done IF the behavior towards the child brings "imminent danger". If the child is not in "imminent danger", these proceedings can take months especially if the parents fight it and the WTBTS throws their weight around with their lawyers.

- The child MAY have had his private reservations yet never shared those with his/her parents or nurse/doctors because of fear. The same fear that made you sign your 'blood card' even though you had your reservations. I remember when I was a kid, I had my doubts about the JW faith, several issues people regularly raise here about god and the bible story I figured out when I was 12, but they were thorougly beaten out of me by my JW parents. Even though I remained a JW for 10 more years after I left home, I never signed my blood card again because I had my doubts even though I had one in my wallet just for show.

- To this date only 80-something percent of medical facilities have a protocol to deal with faith-based objections to medical treatments. That means that in the other 20%, the administrators and legal departments of the facilities have to figure something out when this happens and if there are some lazy administrators or a scared legal department, nothing may happen.

• rebel8
  • rebel8
    rebel8

Healthcare providers do indeed have some authority to assess if a minor is mature . I've worked in healthcare for many yrs--we do it all the time.

The forum gods keep deleting my link. Maybe 3rd time's a charm.

http://www.osma.org/faq/?type=Treating%20Minors#faq-91

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Most states do not allow a minor the right to deny life saving medical treatment. When it's an "advanced minor", I remember that there are only about 5 states that allow advanced minors the right to "independently" (I say that loosely) die by not accepting medical treatment. The reason for judges to rule this way is obvious. A minor has been coccooooooned by his parent's religion. He has had no opportunity to seek out alternatives to his belief system. Therefore, his belief system is not developed, no matter how hard the WTS would argue it is.

Skeeter

• rebel8
    rebel8

I think what we're saying skeeter1 is a minor deemed mature by a physician can accept medical care his parents haven't consented to. Kinda the opposite of the refusal scenario.

We have minors in my facility all the time whose parents either aren't around to consent, blow us off, are too drugged out/mentally ill to understand, or even sometimes because of their religious beliefs do not consent. If the kid wants treatment and they are deemed mature by the physician, we treat. And these are mentally ill kids even, whose judgement could be viewed by some as even less clear.

• adamah
    adamah

Adam said-

By suggesting these children were trying to convince medical staff not to administer blood product, you implied it was the medical staff's decision, if only the treating doctors could be convinced that they were mature. Wrong. In most cases, it's not up to the treating doctors to decide.

Justitia said-

I must disagree Adamah. If a pediatric provider determines that a minor is a "mature minor," s/he can make the decision to 'respect' the child's decision making by not seeking a court order. As BOTR noted, I posted regarding just such a controversial JW case, a case that was discussed as a recent bioethics conference.

In the video case you cited, the treating doc obtained a bioethics consult, which was the entire POINT of the video, and exactly what I said above.

You cherry-picked from what I wrote above:

Adamah said-

By suggesting these children were trying to convince medical staff not to administer blood product, you implied it was the medical staff's decision, if only the treating doctors could be convinced that they were mature. Wrong. In most cases, it's not up to the treating doctors to decide.

That's what you posted (and note, the "In most cases" bit). However, I continued with another sentence, which you may have missed?

Adamah said-

In most cases, a judge has to be convinced (or at the very least, a hospital panel of bioethicists are consulted, and are generally NOT the same people involved in providing care to the patient, precisely to avoid any appearance of impropriety or conflict of interest).

In the video, the WA bioethics committee was consulted (and it recommended a blood transfusion), but disregarding their recommendations, the attending physician consulted with "five other senior oncologists", and all unanimously agreed NOT to transfuse the pt, i.e. they informally granted him 'mature minor' status AGAINST the advice of the bioethics panel and despite the fact that WA state hasn't recognized the doctrine of 'mature minors' (as the JD pointed out in the video).

The treating physician's anomalous decision was discovered AFTER a supervisor from Child Protective Services (an arm of the State) checked on his welfare after being tipped off by someone in the hospital, and they escalated the situation to a County judge, who ruled that 'comfort (palliative) care' should proceed (i.e. the judge didn't force a transfusion). The child died a few hours later, I believe (and the young man repeatedly threatened that he'd resist a BT with "every ounce of strength he had" i.e. ripping the lines out, etc).

The treating physician who made the determination of a 'mature minor' even AFTER seeking an 'independent' bioethics consult was going out on a limb, making a determination while being directly involved in the patient's care. It's questionable behavior which likely brought him up on the radar of the WA State medical board to investigate, and even possibly censure him (and he at least had the forethought to obtain the opinions of other oncologists, to seek a sort of consensus opinion).

As said in the video, healthcare providers are not policemen or judges, and aren't expected to act in that role. The judge who heard the case consented with the young man's wishes, but it comes back to, "you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot force them to drink". As the speaker said, "there's a moral and ethical side to it, and then there's the practical side to it", i.e. were the nurses going to call hospital security to strap down the young man, etc?

And sure, we can cite how Dr Kevorkian played "mercy killer" by making ethical decisions on his own, but his act of going beyond what State law allowed him to do as a licensed physician didn't represent anything but his personal choice to practice beyond what the scope of his State laws allowed (and playing God doesn't fly). Providers are licensed by the State, and can only act within the limits that the State allows or risk exceeding therapeutic/surgical limits. As a retired physician, I'm fully aware of doctors who may at times exceed their authorized scope of care, but it doesn't mean they're not playing with their own livelihood by pushing limits of their authority, and risk losing their license by doing so.

And honestly, as someone who understands how 'natural selection' operates, I see this as ultimately a self-correcting problem: if a fringe group decides to tell their own to commit hari-kari in a deluded belief that it'll assure some reward that the rest of us will die in a painful death to acheive, the problem will fix itself, given enough time. Frankly, I wish MORE dogmatic thinkers had similar anachronistic and dangerous beliefs that were so resiliant to ALL challenges from counter-evidence, since the problem of dogmatism would go away (if only the selection pressure were a bit stronger).

Adam

• adamah
    adamah

Rebel said-

Healthcare providers do indeed have some authority to assess if a minor is mature . I've worked in healthcare for many yrs--we do it all the time.

It would also depend on if the decision involves a matter of life or death; I'd imagine you probably are involved in an outpatient setting (eg birth control clinic, urgent care medi-stop clinic, optometrist's office, etc) where it's not as strictly enforced.

Various States have different laws pertaining to the rights of physicians to make such determinations, and that's why I said, "In most cases". As the link you provided pointed out, minors in Ohio under 15 need a judge to back up the practitioner's determination.

Adam

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

In most cases, a judge has to be convinced (or at the very least, a hospital panel of bioethicists are consulted, and are generally NOT the same people involved in providing care to the patient, precisely to avoid any appearance of impropriety or conflict of interest).

I didn't miss the above sentence Adamah; I just didn't think it was especially relevant.

Actually, one of the disturbing issues associated with this case is that the treating physician's decision to respect the minor's decision would never have been reviewed under normal circumstances.

The treating physician's anomalous decision was discovered AFTER a supervisor from Child Protective Services (an arm of the State) checked on his welfare after being tipped off by someone in the hospital, and they escalated the situation to a County judge, who ruled that 'comfort (palliative) care' should proceed (i.e. the judge didn't force a transfusion).

The above is totally incorrect.

The hospital itself ended up making the CPS referral two days before the young man died. Throughout the case, the hospital's legal department supported the doctor's decision, and while a 'concerned citizen' (likely the minor's teacher) reported the case to Child Protective Services (CPS), CPS sat on the case for a while (I believe several weeks) because no one there was especially concerned. It seems the hospital worker report suffered the same fate.

The only reason the case ever went before a judge is that the hospital administrator wanted more legal protection. In fact, the hospital social worker actually orally testified that he never would have made the CPS referral absent being ordered to by the administrator, and the judge noted that the only reason he was hearing the case was to provide the hospital legal protection.

The boy was in dependent care after all, and so his natural parents conceivably could have brought a claim against the hospital. However, if the boy and his natural parents' decisions had been united, the administrator would not really have had to worry about a claim, so s/he likely would not have asked the hospital social worker to make the CPS referral.

And if that had been the case, no one would have ever known about this highly controversial case. Therefore, I don't know that anyone case assert what happens in most cases because we would never hear about the cases where no outside referral is made. Though I do hope you are right, and that most cases are reviewed.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My cousin had leukemia and there was a blood issue. He was supposed to get a bone marrow transplant but his parents refused and by the time it got to the court it was too late. Blood is also used not to cure but to alleviate the symptoms (they gave it to my dad who had lung cancer to strenthen his system, not to cure him-he was very weak but nothing was going to 'save' him from the cancer). I think my aunt and uncle were pressured by the elders in this and I think it went to court just so that they could say that they fought it. My cousin, poor little guy, died. He was 6, I think. I actually think that the doctors respected them too long and they pretended to fight too long. I am speculating some, but I think they THOUGHT the doctors would intervene sooner and I think the doctors tried to 'respect' their beliefs thinking the parents would decide to do the right thing on their own (which I understand quite a few did, which is why the JWs now have such diligent hospital liason workers).

The JW liason workers are scary. They stalk you before, during and after surgery to make sure you exercise your "conscience".

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

No child wants to die. This situation would have happened many times. I hate this WTS blood policy. Murderers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit