Why does the doomsday cult of Jehovah's Witnesses cause psychosis and grief

by Watchtower-Free 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-24642553

25 October 2013

Colin Hambrook is a poet and visual artist with mental health difficulties and ME. He runs Disability Arts Online (DAO) a web portal for disabled artists which reviews and showcases their work.

In Hambrook's latest autobiographical project, Knitting Time, he recalls being brought up by a Jehovah's Witness mother who was mentally ill. She, Hambrook and the other Jehovah's Witnesses they knew, believed that the world was due to end in 1975. This collection of illustrated poetry, and the accompanying art exhibition, explore the psychosis and grief he experienced as a result.

Why did you call it Knitting Time?

Knitting time is an allegory for psychosis. What that does to you is bring you to a place where time is distended. Brain functions, like memory and cognition, can get distorted and it becomes very difficult to believe what's going on in your head. The idea of Knitting Time was to try and encapsulate that sense of bringing yourself back into reality.

The story that unfolds through the poetry and artwork is that of my mother”

What's it about?

The story that unfolds through the poetry and artwork is that of my mother. She was sectioned in the late 60s, early 70s and knitting was one of the key activities that "mental patients" were given to keep their hands busy. Once they had finished, the knitting was ripped apart and the wool re-used.

My mother's psychosis got worse as time went on and knitting became a key part of her world. She was knitting new universes, places of safety we could go to when the world ended.

What was it like to believe that the world would end before you'd reached adulthood?

I was a very serious little boy and took the Jehovah's Witnesses seriously. It was frightening to be brought up in this belief and to realise I had to do my best to be perfect, so that I'd be among the chosen ones when the end came.

Everything went wrong quite a few years before 1975 though. When my mother was sectioned, we were thrown out of the faith. We were led to believe that only families who had a strong patriarch at their helm were eligible to be chosen but dad refused to have anything to do with the Jehovah's Witnesses, So we felt we were damned anyway.

You were 16 in 1975. Did you still believe the end was imminent?

By 1975, I had largely come to realise that it was all rubbish. All about money, power and religious oppression. But there was still a part of me that was keyed in to those beliefs.

How did you feel when the end never came?

My feelings were mixed. What had happened to my mother in the mental health system left me very depressed, so a big part of me was looking forward to it all ending. I didn't move forward easily. I became very lost and pretty mentally ill and stayed in that state for most of my twenties.

There's part of me that's never quite come to terms with the fact that the world didn't end in 1975.

Knitting Time's main theme is psychosis. What's your personal experience of this?

I don't think psychosis is necessarily a bad thing. It's common for toddlers to have imaginary friends and night visions, to see things that aren't there.

I had that facility to a greater degree than most. I remember vividly seeing things at night time like a lion treading up the stairs or a man dressed in an archetypal burglar outfit, swag-bag on back.

Did your psychotic episodes change when you became an adult?

This capacity for hallucination has come and gone throughout my life. A large part of me realised early on that it was my mind playing tricks.

If I haven't slept and my nervous system is distended, it is likely that the psychotic episode will be unpleasant. But if I can relax into it and find space to let it be, then it can be interesting. When I was nine or 10, an angel exuding white light stayed with me all night. That was very beautiful.

“Start Quote

People's prejudice around psychosis is down to a fear of those kinds of experiences”

What was your motivation for producing work about psychosis?

People's prejudice around psychosis is down to a fear of those kinds of experiences, because people don't understand it and people don't talk about it. One of my main motivations for doing this project was to try and have a conversation about something people see as very dark and very difficult.

The other big theme of Knitting Time is grief. Why?

After my mum had electric shock therapy, she temporarily lost all memory of her children. It was like she'd died, the person we knew before never came back. During my pre-teen and teenage years, I went through a process of mourning. A lot of my psychosis was in response to the grief I felt.

I read a book by Joan Didion about the years following her husband's death, when she went through a psychosis related to her grief. It brought home to me my own experiences as a child. The poetry I wrote for Knitting Time is a reflection on that part of my life and how, like Joan, I came through it with the help of family and friends.

Knitting time is published by Waterloo Press. The art exhibition which accompanies the book is at the Pallant House Gallery until 3 November. Read more about the project on Colin Hambrook's blog, or listen to the creative audio description tracks for ten of the paintings on show. All images above by Colin Hambrook.

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Anyone have thought on this?

• flipper
    flipper

WATCHTOWER-FREE- Very interesting thread. Thanks for posting it. Although I don't suffer from psychosis ( allegedly , depends who you ask ) still in all seriousness it IS a very common experience I believe of people like Colin which could be repeated thousands of times from current Jehovah's Witnesses or ex-JW's in how just existing in that mind control cult for a lenghty period of time can screw a persons brain up in a very real way.

Personally the longer I have been out of the JW cult ( 10 years now ) the more crazy the JW's look to me. In fact- most of em are bat $hit crazy as loons. They just don't realize it due to the mind control. I feel a lot of compassion for folks like Colin as the things all of us had to put up with as a JW NOBODY should ever have to put up with. It's a miracle that a lot of us finally escaped to freedom of mind. I count my blessings every day. Here's a toast to freedom of mind . Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Great post. Food for thought...

• zeb
    zeb

WF. What a beautiful sad but liberating letter. "Thy faith has made thee well"..

and a big hug from

Zeb.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Very interesting article. Glad that guy is doing well despite his setbacks. A real survivor.

• gorgia2
    gorgia2

This artist seems to have fully accepted his illness, and is using his acceptance to help others. There is no sense of shame or guilt, which is wonderful. I'm sure this didn't happen overnight, but it is an inspiration to a lot of us who have experienced mental/emotion pain due to a JW upbringing. I wish him all the best with his book and exhibition.

gorgia

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Thanks Watchtower-free. I've looked at the paintings on the Pallant House Gallery website, they're amazing. Also read Colin's blog. I like the point he makes that psychiatrists say his mental health problems are all about brain chemistry and genetics but the model of the psychologist Rufus May suggests that having no place to discuss his grief and loss may be responsible. So true, no-one in the West ever wants to talk about grief and loss, they would prefer to sweep it all under the carpet.

Rufus May was diagnosed with schizophrenia as a teenager and was hospitalised but went on to train as a clinical psychologist. He has a strong belief in not pumping mentally ill people full of drugs but letting them talk. He did a program on UK TV called 'The doctor who hears Voices' where he helped a student doctor recover from this mental health problem and return to work. Of course they couldn't show her face or reveal her identity because she would have lost her job.

Very interesting, thanks.

• kjg132
    kjg132

Bump

• steve2
    steve2

Some of the most creative minds have differed from the norm and battled huge odds to reach their goals. If your claim that the organization causes "psychosis" and "grief" is correct, ought we not praise the religion for "helping" creative people become even more creative? It is not ease and contentment that lead to the most stunning art, but suffering and isolation.

Seriously, though, untold numbers of JWs were already experiencing significant mental health issues well before their involvement with the organization. Besides, you could persuasively argue it is not the religion in itself that "causes" "psychosis", but its minority status as a despised group mistreated by secular society. Look at the waves of persecution the witnesses suffered in western countries during World War 2 and in many, many other countries right up until the present. From the Witnesses sincere perspective, it is the world that oppresses and mistreats them, not the Watchtower Society.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no sound research-basis for the claim that the organization "causes" mental health problems.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit