The new bible did NOT remove the previously [bracked inserted words], it only removed the brackets, so it's even more deceptive..

by EndofMysteries 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

EndofMysteries:

I checked the Hebrew at those places you mentioned and this is what I found:

Ex 18:11, "than all the gods", with the article before elohim (mikkol-ha'elohim).

Ex 18:12, "and sacrifices to God", with preposition before elohim (uzavachim le'lohim).

Ex 18:12b "before the God", with art. (liphne ha'elohim).

Ex 18:16, "statutes of the God", with the article before elohim ('eth-chuqqe ha'elohim).

As noted, both the NWT, Watts, and the Concordant Literal Bible acknowledge the significance of the article in those places where it appears, by adding "true," "the One True," "the One, Elohim," respectively.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Simply put, they have not removed their interpolations, but that have removed any evidence of them.

Previously, a reader of the NWT was reminded of interpolated text/words by the brackets. But now that the brackets have been removed, anyone reading the rNWT would NOT know of any interpolations unless they did a word for word comparison with the old NWT.

Call it what you will, it stinks.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Oubliette:

You can add the NWT to the list of other versions doing the same for years. I, however, don't hear much complaints when other versions do the same thing. Why?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Wonderment,

You probably don't hear any complaints because 99% of other religions encourage REAL bible study, the study of Hebrew and Greek, and allow questions and differences of opinion where the bible is unclear. It's not a big deal for members to have multiple translations. Not so with the WTBTS. Since they allow no dissent or questioning of doctrine, the wording of their translations becomes more important that someone else's. Since the penalty is virtual death now, and eternal death later for "apostasy", I would say the complaints are justified. Also, just try filling your book bag with many different translations and openly reading them at the KH, you would be suprised at all the looks you will receive.

If the WTBTS would stop their self-righteous actions, admit that they do not have " THE TRUTH ", and quit policing their members very thoughts, then I am sure the complaints would stop. When religious leaders have a theory or an "idea" that they love, that's one thing. When they are an authoritarian, high-control group or cult that spiritually executes members for not loving the same "ideas", that's another matter. One that rightly brings any of their publications under scrutiny, IMO.

DD

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

DATA-DOG:

I agree with your assesment for the most part. Well put!

However, my observation about not bracketing added words to the text still stands. If it's wrong for the NWT to do so, then it is equally wrong for other bible translators to do so as well.

I am not condoning the NWT new practice, but some here are quick to condemn the NWT when others do the same thing, or worse, and get away with it, just because there a feeling among ex-JWs that the WTS has to be wrong, and everyone else must be right. I am looking at the "fairness" issue with this comment.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Wonderment,

I follow you. Translating old texts into a modern language cannot be easy. If the original thought is there, then I would not consider that as "adding to" or "taking away" from the Bible. I am sure that other translation committees make mistakes, and I have read a few comments where they admit that their translation can never be perfect. So all translations probably have some issues. When the mistakes are intentionally done to skew the original meaning because the translators don't want the reader to know that Jesus created all things...that's a problem for me.

DD

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

They have now decimated any possibilty of the NWT being a work of sound scholarship. (If it ever was)

HB

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

wonderment - is there an online interlinear you use? The one I used I linked but if you checked it didn't show the differences as what you stated showed. It seemed to show better details for the hebrew into english letters.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

EndofMysteries:

Try the Interlinear at biblehub.com, or The NIV Interlinear Hebrew-English Old Testament for a start.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Dear Wonderment, I am sure that, like me, most posters on here would condemn as very dishonest the interpoltion of words if the motive is obviously one of wishing to support., or not destroy a particular belief of the translators.

This is what the RNWT blatantly does, actually change the teaching of the original language text.

I am aware when other translations have done this in certain instances, but those translations have not done so in other verses where I would have thought they would have seized the opportunity to do so, leading me to think that the instances I have come across are examples of bad translation in places, but not a policy of doing so throughout.

Do you know of a Translation, (not a paraphrase) that blatantly does this throughout, as an obvious policy ? I would be interested to know of one or more, for I think such should be avoided, as I avoid the NWT, it is not to be trusted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit