Brooklyn Eagle Article: WT Tunnels - Mysterious, Lingering Remnants Ministerial Heights Presence

by AndersonsInfo 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Street repairs, remove the tunnels and sewer repairs, sounds pricey

• blondie
    blondie

I work in an older government building that was once connected by tunnels to many others years ago. They just shut them down with grates. The local univ also has tunnels, used by students in the Dungeons and Dragons heyday. Closed down, no road work necessary.

As to Brooklyn Bethel, Bethelites would walk down the sidewalks 4 abreast and the locals complained. The WTS decided to take as many Bethelites off the streets as they could. It was safer unless there were dangerous Bethel brothers roaming the tunnels.

The Bethel boys also hogged all the basketball courts and the locals complained (rightly so). There were a couple of indoor courts built to keep the boys off the courts. Are any of these Bethel stories true; there is a ring of truth.

As to the crime, Brooklyn Hts was on the way to being gentrified and as one cop said, the thieves go where the money is.

Mugger money in your shoe...or get beat up.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Thanks for mentioning the safety issue- I had not thought of that.

• steve2
    steve2

I worked/lived in the city-state of Singapore for a number of years. Tunnels linking building complexes were commomplace and were even required by law. There was nothing creepy or suspicious about their presence. Indeed, as complexes changed ownership over the years, some tunnels were closed off but could be re-opened if need be in the future.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There is an extensive tunnel system at Columbia. It is situated near the very cold winds off the Hudson

A university Id grants access, a blessing in bad weather. You lose the Ivy League drama but the trade off was good. The tunnels played s major role in the student riots. We assumed we knew all the locations. Wrong assumption.

I expect many bldgs in cities have tunnels

After 9/11, I was permitted to use one in a high profile bldg and saw monitoring equipt.

Hospitals often have tunnels for their grungy things.

Perhaps they are time-related

• steve2
    steve2

I've been thinking about those Watchtower tunnels and, given that modern-day Watchtowers are fixtures of the state penitentiary, imagined that the tunnels were desperate attempts by the Bethel "inmates" to escape. They clearly did not have much faith in quietly fading....

• steve2
    steve2

Double post.

• L3G
    L3G

Is it true that Bethelites take a vow of poverty?

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, for IRS tax considerations they do, not the bible or even WTS rules.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/106721/1/Bethel-Vow-of-Poverty-documents-scanned#.UmpRZV8o5LM

• Calebs Airplane

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit