New Homo erectus Skull Shakes up Palaeontology

by cofty 192 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

A fantastic Homo erectus skull has been found in Georgia - no not our former colony, the one in Asia.

It is one of 5 that have been found at a site in Dmanisi, it's the first Homo erectus to be found outside of Africa and it is in excellent condition. The fossils are dated at 1.8 million years ago and comparisions of the specimens have thrown doubt over the details of human evolution.

It is possible that species previously named as H rudolfensis , H gautengensis , H ergaster and possibly H habilis were actually all H erectus. The natural variation withing the species may be greater than thought previously.

The "lumpers" and the "splitters" are going to have plenty to argue about for years to come.

NOTE TO CREATIONISTS - Please read the article carefully. There is nothing here to comfort you. Sorry.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

What I love about this story is how scientists react to new information -- they rethink things and adjust their ideas to the evidence. Unlike certain other groups who, when faced with evidence contrary to their beliefs, put their fingers in their ears and sing lalalalala I can't hear you! Scientists can say, "I was wrong." A fabulous quality.

• cofty
    cofty

That's very true.

Science is about questions that require answers. Religion is answers that can't be questioned.

You can be sure there will be some robust arguments among palaentologists over this. Nobody who discovered a new species will give it up easily.

I wonder how many current species will survive?

• bytheirworks
    bytheirworks

so evolutionists get "new light???"

can't trust anyone who gets new light

cofty - I disagree. Religion is actually Science 2.0

• KateWild
    KateWild

Well I still believe in God, cant we believe in both? I am new here though.

• Comatose
    Comatose

My wife believes Kate. She thinks someone up there started life but that then it evolved. I don't argue. The important thing is to accept the evidence that man has been here for a long long time.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Cofty that article is astounding. The skull is so complete. Amazing features. I love the fact that science can reevaluate things and adjust As well.

Thanks for sharing. Now I cant decide whether to email this to my sister or not....

• cofty
    cofty

I hesitated to post it because creationists tend to jump on things like this without understanding them.

To illustrate the significance of the discovery - Imagine you were researching your family tree and you had really solid evidence going back many generations. Then one day you find a document that shows that some facts that you thought were connected to 2 or 3 of your ancestors were actually referring to the same person. It would be a major step in understanding your ancestry but you would have to adjust to "losing" a few ancestors. Of course it's too soon to be certain yet, more fossils and other parts of the skeletons would be helpful.

Rememer too that this is about the Homo genus. The australopithecenes were an earlier hominid genus who evolved in east Africa about 4 million years ago.

• cofty
    cofty

Well I still believe in God, cant we believe in both? - KateWild

Yes many christians accept the fact of human evolution form earlier life forms.

I'm not entirely sure how they deal with the whole "fall into sin" doctrines but I'm sure there is a way.

Evolution doesn't make god impossible it just makes him redundant.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"Analysis of the skull and other remains at Dmanisi suggests that scientists have been too ready to name separate species of human ancestors in Africa. Many of those species may now have to be wiped from the textbooks."

Wow, could this be a transitional fossil?

Thanks Ismael

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit