Poster country flags and privacy

by Simon 263 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

hamsterbait: you have made your views clear but you don't get to decide what others will or won't or should or shouldn't do. You'd do better to just focus on what *you* want to post or not.

traumatiXed (sorry I am now very worried over spelling issues too!)

Seriously?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I think Simon decided that making this site look cool, defeating the horde of Nigerian Scammers and posers is much more important than defending the anonymity of those current and potential members still "in" who risk being exposed. Bottom line, that's what this is. If I recall correctly, some similar reasoning was behind the inexcusable breach that happened on AAWA's Facebook last year, which indeed resulted in a few people getting exposed and in serious trouble.

I'm not the one to judge you, Simon, but I didn't sign for this. While it's my decision if I carry on posting here once that feature is activated, I worry what may happen if my past posts will be associated with my country's flag. And what sort of responsibility are you willing to take if I'm exposed through the association of the flag with my posts, I wonder?

Eden

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I object to the "activist" label being applied to me simply because I do not want my nationality identified here AGAINST MY WILL.

Implying that because I continue to object, I am an activist, as opposed to asserting my right to consent or otherwise is unfair.  I have not sought to seek support for my view , like an activist, merely continued to maintain my side of the argument.

if this is a majority viewpoint issue, it should be decided by the majority who can be bothered to argue the point reasonably, like an election, where those who cannot even be bothered to vote are not counted.

• Simon
    Simon

Thank you to all those who have expressed their views in a reasonable and respectful manner. Contrary to what some have tried to suggest, the point of this topic was to get feedback. If my intention was to just implement something without listening then, well - everyone would have flags now. 

Even though I still believe the privacy concerns are rather overblown and rely on contrived examples to be the problem some suggest, the fact that it's perceived as such a big issue to some means I won't implement it without some form of opt-in or opt-out. That doesn't mean that all new accounts forever more will always have the option though and it doesn't mean that I accept that country in any way ever constitutes personally identifiable information - if the country you post from is so secret then it is your responsibility to protect knowledge of it, no one else's.

This topic is now locked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit