My husband is stepping down tomorrow night . . .

by Prisila 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Prisila
    Prisila

I'm extatic . . . my husband is stepping down as an elder tomorrow. How do you guys think that will go? Any personal experience? Elders? Elder's wife? Pioneer? etc.?

• VitoJW
    VitoJW

.......That will help in determining what he will f\need to be prepared to face.... and you too...

• LDH
    LDH

LOL Prisila, he's not *stepping down*---he's stepping *aside.* [8>]

I'm so glad for you two. Will you start the ~~~slow fade~~~ now?

Lisa

• maxwell
    maxwell

My dad stepped down when I was a teenager. However, he had no plans to fade away. He still believes strongly, but according to him he needed a rest. I was in high school at the time so that was about 7 or 8 years ago I think. He called us kids to tell us the night before they annouced it. He told us it wasn't because of anything we had done. They annouced it, and that was it. I sure there was some strange or different feeling, because my dad had been an elder for as long as I could remember, but nothing so notable that I specifically remember. We got used to him just being a regular brother. I noticed that some still talked to him for comfort as if he was an elder. So he retained much of the respect. That could be good or bad if you're planning to fade away?

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Prisila,

You will gain a husband back into your life!

No more elder's meetings

No more "helping others" when your own family needs attention

No more secret phone calls

No more sitting by yourself at meetings (but, hey, why go, start skipping them by being "busy")

You will have someone to talk to about your concerns in life

You will have someone to really help with the kids

You will look everyone else in the eye and smile knowing that the organizational hierchy is not worth the freedom you are gaining.

Hugs,
    j2bf

• og
    og

When I first tried to step down as a MS, after confessing that I was having a hard time believing the party line, I was asked not to resign while they tried to work things out. They were so insistent on it that I acquiesced, with misgivings. Later, I came to feel that they had some direction from the GB, and were trying to keep the removal option open. I finally wrote a letter and resigned definitely. Your husband should be prepared to do this as well.

I don't think they like resignations...

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

No, they're bleeding elders and MS's now. Years ago people talked about how hard it was in places like Mexico, etc where there would be 1 elder per congo, now the USA is becoming the same way. All the elders and MS's are burning out.

• Mulan
    Mulan

My husband did it in 1996, stating that he needed to give attention to his wife's spirituality, because I was obviously having a problem. They all knew it too. They understood, but tried to talk him out of it..........the Circuit overseer was there too, and didn't stop him, saying my husband knew his situation, and if he thought he should quit, they should let him. Then we gradually withdrew. He had been the WT overseer too.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yippee!

Congratulations to the man!

But if he is well thought of, or they are shorthanded, he must expect a lot of pressure to make him stay on the body, even if only "temporarily". He must be resolute.

The C/o only acquiessed to me when I piled it on a bit thick about having a secret love of "Heavy Metal Music", which is true ,although not the extremes that he was probably thinking of. Anyway he then dropped me like a hot brick and gladly accepted my resignation

• metatron
    metatron

If he is resigning, put it in writing!

Just say depression is the reason.

Keep in mind that elders are NOT ALLOWED to resign! The Society
    has said, in its letter to elders on the subject, that elders
    must obtain permission from the rest of the body to resign.

It would be great if he could announce his own resignation
    in a meeting part. That would be final!

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit