Prejudice

by Elders_Kid 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Elders_Kid
    Elders_Kid

It would seem to me that an organization that preaches so strongly about brotherly love could be so prejudice.
    I have been D/F for just about seven years, and it wasn't until a couple of years ago that this occured to me. Remember how we couldn't spend time with people from school because they were "bad association"? Or you werent supposed to spend too much time with "worldly" relatives because they might be a bad influence?
    Now that I have been D/F my own parents have nothing to do with me. I went to my brother's wedding a few months ago at the Kingdom Hall (big mistake) and was just stared at like there was something seriously wrong with me. My extended family members would introduce themselves to my wife and not say a thing to me... they tried like crazy to avoid eye contact with me!!! My father asked me to wait outside until the ceremony started, and once it did, I had to sit in the very last row.
    Oh but wait, this gets better. I was at a family member's home (not a Witness) the day before Easter, there were several members there from out of town (I had to drive accross the state to get there), including one aunt, who I hadn't seen in almost 12 years, who came from accross the country. My JW aunt took me aside and asked if we could talk. I thought that she was going to say "hi" and see how I was doing, but NO, she wanted to ask why I was there. She said that since I was D/F that she couldn't be there with me, and she wanted me to leave!!!! She made a huge scene in front of everyone!
    Now all this rambling brings me back to my original statement: How can an organization that teaches about brotherly love be so prejudice? Do they honestly think that making an "outsider" feel so uncomfortable will encourage them to want to come back?

If anybody else has a similar story, feel free to share it with me. I just found this site a couple of days ago, and it's nice to know that I am not the only one that has to deal with this.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Hi and Welcome!

I'm not DF, but I have experienced shunning nontheless. You make a good point about the JW and their so called 'love'.

Anyway, well done for putting up with it!

Sirona

** http://www.religioustolerance.org **

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

Elders_Kid,

I was never a JW. From my point of view, it is a very hypocritical organization. I can sort of relate to what you went through: A JW girl that I "befriended" (and talked to for over a year) tells me that I am just an acquaintance, not a friend because she cannot have friends outside her religion.

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Hey Elders_kid, I'm glad that you found us and you are totally not alone.

Slipnslidemaster:"Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the darkside."
    -Emperor Palpatine

Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America

• mouthy
    mouthy

Welcome to the board elderskid. They have conditional love- but Jesus has UNconditional love- dont matter what you have done ,did,will do he loves you-We just have to relize they are under mind control( just as we were)Have you read Crises of Conscience? If not I suggest you might like to. Also "Combatting Mind Control" These helped me- when I was kicked out- because I couldnt believe Jesus came invisably in 1914
    I was baptized in 1965 kicked out in 1987 after over 20 yrs faithful service to the organization. Now I am free to use my brains- I have never been happier. maybe this site will help you
    http://www.jwinfoline.com/Page/audio.htm

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Hi , i was an elder's daughter , LOL. Sounds kinda like preachers daughter , and yeah I tried to live it down too.

That is so sad the way your family is treating , you . My dad doesnt speak to me ,because I just stopped going, he doesnt even know why.
    He doesnt care.
    The fact of the matter is that JW do not have true love , they cant even love their own. I speak from true life experience, I have done nothing to my father, personally, I have bent over backwards to try and be the good JW daughter. I choose to not go back and that's it , I am dead in his eyes. That is not love, and I swear I will never do that to any of my chidren, just because they choose a different path than I think they should.

I guess it goes to show they are not Jesus true disciples. Look at the fruits they produce. In fact they are fruits!!! LOL Anyway , you will find comfort here, new friends, and FAMILY. :)

• ThatSucks
    ThatSucks

I have been 'shunned' before, while never having been one of their fold.

I think some of them thrive on the prejudice they are 'permitted' to display. I guess it feeds their badly bruised egos.

I love to remind them how 'loving' they are. You can tell that it urks them to have an outsider that knows many of their 'tricks'

heh.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi EK and welcome!

I hope you realize that you are no longer oblicated to let the JWs run your life - and that includes your Aunt. I hope you held your ground and told her that SHE could leave but that you were staying.

Isn't it crazy that they want you to make their shunning easier for them?

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Hi Elders_kid,

First off welcome to the board! Secondly, I'm sure that any "worldly" family members there would see your crazy aunt's behavior and realize she's the one in the wrong. My non-JW family sees that it's my parents shunning me that puts the rift in our relationship...it's not me NOT being a JW. My non-JW family feels sorry for me I think. I'm just thankful that they see the truth - that my parents are the ones lost, not me.

Andi

• SYN
    SYN

Welcome to what we in the "industry" like to call double-think. They are supposedly "loving Christians" and yet they treat DFd people like they have leprosy or something. Hopefully you're not still in the BORG after seeing stuff like this! May the force be with you...

During a code review, when I asked why there was not a comment in 240,000 lines of code which was getting handed to me for maintenance, the programmer replied, "I'm terse."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit