Boeings "Dreamliner" starting to look like a nightmare.

by Glander 19 Replies latest social current

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

The technology discovered during the 787 build has been useful to Boeing. The 747 dash 8 has seen redesigned wings that have a similar profile to those on the 787, but much bigger of course.

• dog is god
    dog is god

The Boeing that created this plane is in name only. McDonnald bought Boeing. McDonnald is very famous for it's hatred for organized labour. I think you could trace every problem for this plane is it dispersement (outsourcing) of it's parts. Oops the wings don't fit. It was their way to minimize costs....but at what cost? The generations of Boeing workers had a pride of results, they were vested in the sucess of their products. Outsourcing to other cheaper deals to people who don't really care about the success of the product but live for the temporary jobs outsourced to them abrigates the quality of the product. In time this aircraft will be fixed, however if they had chosen to get it right the first time it would have saved billions of dollars in grounding and refitting to remanufacturing. I've been a Flight Attendant for 35 years and I will not step on this plane for a long time. The amount of politics, lobbying, the FAA being controlled by special interests, is no help in building quality aircraft.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

<p>McDonnald [sic] bought Boeing</p>

<p>Other way around, actually. Boeing bought McDonnell-Douglas. It was a bad deal IMO, at least for commercial aircraft (military contracts may be the reason Boeing made that deal). The DC10/MD11 and DC9/MD80 were dated and uneconomical designs, and there were no viable replacements in the pipeline. I agree in part with your criticisms re. outsourcing, but there are good non-technical, non-financial reasons for doing it. Foreign content helps to close deals for foreign sales. All else being equal, a national (government controlled) airline is more likely to buy aircraft from a company would buys airplane parts from their factories than one that doesn't. If Airbus buys from them and Boeing doesn't, none of the order will be built in Everett--because Boeing isn't going to get the business. Since there are more international sales opportunities than domestic these days, Boeing really can't afford to not outsource work to qualified foreign suppliers.</p>

• Glander
    Glander

IKEA is bringing out a jumbo jet.

Tools required:

screwdriver (phillips and flat)

pliers

hammer

hacksaw

plumbers tape

• prologos
    prologos

does it have a propeller?

some planes have an wind milling auxiliary generator that pivots into the airstream to make electricity in case of a total power failure, fuel loss or battery fire. so,

why do little airplanes have the propeller in the front?

to keep the pilot cool. how do we know?

have the front prop come to a halt in flight and

watch the pilot break out in sweat.

Hope Boeing&Mc Donald's suppliers fix the heat of those lithium batteries,

burned two models and almost the house with those powerful but temperature tempramental units.

• friendaroonie
    friendaroonie

Are there any good articles you can link for us not up on the subject?

• Glander
    Glander

Google - Dreamliner glitches

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Ok a bit off topic, but has anyone here seen the childrens movie Planes? if not, it is a must see for anyone with any real airplane experience. Delightful movie.

My BIL does not want to fly the 787 for a while. he is not an "ealy adopter". He flies the 767 currently, about to go to international flight, which he was not wanting but the way the company is organizing he was fored to do that or go way back to a much smaller plane ( and salary).

BYW The healthcare mess is messing with these pilots big time. Pretty major expeneive changes.

• prologos
    prologos

one startling feature of the plane is the dihedral of the wings.

The pilots should have no problem turning this ship without use of ailerons, rudder only, or getting banking by one engine thrust.

let Airbus not have schadenfreude over Boeings' travaille.(labor, birthing pains)

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

I always thought Dai Hedral was a Welshman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit