Modesty in Dress and Grooming - May KM

by expatbrit 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

You gotta love it! It is mind boggling how these folks can't put two and two together. You'd think that they could read something like what Reborn just posted and think, hey, wait a minute here..??!! It is amazing how obvious this stuff is...yet they just don't get it. ...Or probably more like they don't want to get it. Oh well, to each his own.

Nice dissection, Detective!!

Bona Dea of the "wear whateva I wanna" class

"Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them."
    -Walter Kerr

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Leander,

Can you beleive I'm assigned to handle that article next month on the service meeting?
    So what are you going to say? Will you parrot what the puppet-masters say or will you talk to the congregation about something spiritual? Like read the Bible to them and explain it? Boy, wouldn't that make a change!

Good luck with your talk. DA next month, perhaps?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• Sabine
    Sabine

In my experience (35+ years in the jw clan), it was about either what the elder's wives compained about, or if you "stood out" for some reason. I was counseled in the early 70's when "midi" (long skirts) were in style...drew too much attention. I was repeatedly counseled about my hair, which is "ethnic". I had to wear it in a bun, because if I wore it down, it looked like "rock band" hair. In the 80's when I wanted to either braid or lock my "ethnic" hair, that was also not considered "modest".

Several elderettes complained that my clothes were too "fitted", of course the fact that they wore 3X size clothes and I wear a size 4 didn't have anything to do with it...basically, if you had a beautiful head of hair and a model's body, you upset the old sisters and you had to hide whatever made them jealous.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    ...basically, if you had a beautiful head of hair and a model's body, you upset the old sisters and you had to hide whatever made them jealous.

I was counselled several times for wearing "worldly" clothing. Once wearing a skirt that came right above my knee and another time wearing a very classy pantsuit. Oh the agony of sitting in that backroom. I was truly flabbergasted that I offended the elderettes! Truly - I had no idea that I would cause such a ruckus! Nothing was low-cut or baring too much skin at all. But looking back it was because I was a size 2 and had a cute figure (I was 18) and all the elderettes were jealous, since all they could fit into were muumuus. Haha!

Andi

PS: I really don't get the thing about pantsuits. They cover MORE body than skirts. Isn't that what they want??? [8>]

• Sabine
    Sabine

Hey Andi, you still have that cute figure girl!!

Even under heavy indoctrination, I still used to laugh at all the detailed information in the KM about baptizm outfits...CAUTION - WHITE BATHING SUITS BECOME SHEER WHEN WET!! Well, the brothers wear white T-shirts to perform the baptizm, and some of them had bigger boobs than I do, haha. Almost felt I should have slipped a $20 in their trunks to express my appreciation for the show.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

SABINE!

That last post of yours was a riot!

Andee

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

lol@Sabine!!! You are too funny girl!

Well, the brothers wear white T-shirts to perform the baptizm, and some of them had bigger boobs than I do, haha.
    In my case, it doesn't take much to have bigger boobs than me! Hahaha!

Andi

• SYN
    SYN

Ah yes, the infamous "MAN TITS". *ROFMAO*

I don't even remember the guy who baptized me. I was too busy trying to have a "spiritual experience"! But he was most certainly not an, uh, well-endowed man!

Every religion is the One True Religion.

• Xander
    Xander

he was most certainly not an, uh, well-endowed man!

Whew...you women are BRUTAL...I just KNEW that's what you talked about when left to your own devices...

the infamous "MAN TITS".

'Man Bewbs'

all they could fit into were muumuus

I know EXACTLY the sisters you are talking about (we had em in my hall, too). OMG...it's AMAZING the human body can survive being that overweight for any amount of time. Just shocking. It's a good thing they wear so much perfume, cause I doubt they smell good...

(PS., I think you'll find a lot of the time it was other single sisters in the hall complaining, too. The more spiritual ones get POed when the brothers start looking at someone else for reasons other than, well, anything, I guess. We had a lot of that going on at our hall)

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• Dino
    Dino

What other group of people has members that own seven suits, four sports coats, five pairs of dress slacks, twenty three ties and washes windows for a living?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit