Speaking in tongues

by Marilyn 20 Replies latest jw friends

• og
    og

Speaking in tongues, aka glossolalia, occurs in contexts other than fundy Christian meetings. It appears to be just one more of the funny things that people do occasionally, and that get co-opted as 'proof' that some religion or other is the truth. Some studies have been done, tape recordings have been made, and general consensus is that the sounds are nonsense, not a foreign language. It's a fairly stable phenomena - There's probably a Pentecostal church of some kind near you that does it a couple of times a week.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Whatever your views on tongues, I like St. Paul's conclusion in 1 Cor. 13:1: "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels but do not have love, I have become a sounding piece of brass or a clashing cymbal."

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Kenneson, I believe having LOVE is much more difficult than speaking in tongues.

Marilyn

• Satanus
    Satanus

Glossolalia isn't unique to christianity. Terence mckenna started doing it when he took a psychadelic drug. I don't know what it is supposed to prove. Maybe it's just fun. I think it is usually an altered mind state. The galilean fishermen had probably just finished off a meal of fugu;)

SS

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Marilyn
    about Nepal, I let you know as soon as I get back

I asked her once about that and the answer was pretty much what S.S. said. She explained it being taken by spirit to a higher level. What ever that means.
    I think she was discribing it as she was more or less being used as sort of "port hole" for the spiritrelm.
    i'm laughing now remembering her explination and my mothers coments
    to that. You had to be there I'll just leave it at that. But they had to do with, of course, demons.

http://ourworld.cs.com/pwmkwzy/home.html

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Mecca-lecca hi mecca heiny ho

• apostate man
    apostate man

My 2 cents worth.

Say or think what you want, it is real. I have done it. The scriptures support it, so why not? "Tongues" was not just used to translate words to people in the upper room, as I have heard JW's explain.

Two different times that people speak in tongues.

1st. Recieving Holy Spirit(ghost). Evidence of receiving. This is between you and God. Someone else does not have to hear you in order for it to happen. Most of the time, you don't understand what you are saying, but you cannot help but speak. Its like getting a feeling of vomiting, then words start coming out and you can't or don't want to stop. Again, receiving the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost is not from knocking on doors but instead through prayer and repentance and having Gods spirit fill you.

2nd. Gift. Tongues and Interpretation. I don't remember the verses off hand but in the NT it talks about different gifts that God gives. Someone speaks in tongues during a service then someonr else interprets and shares the message with the rest of the cong. I have never done this but from what I have been told, that both giving and receiving are like having that feeling of vomiting again. Not an unpleasant vomit feeling, but instead an urge to speak, a joy to speak. Like trying to keep your mouth shut and not say something would be unpleasant. Again, this is not always interpreted. I have seen this happen many times, and YES, at every Pentecostal church service someone speaks in tongues, usually several people speak in tongues. It's not that big of a deal to see once your used to it.

Thats all the explanation I have in me right now, I AM TIRED, and sorry for the spelling grammer mistakes. Goodnight!

Break the chains that bind you,
    unless, of course, you're into that sort of thing.
  • gravedancer
    gravedancer

;lsvmlodvdov dsdpfvj adlk srakvm sfpokv es sarfpoif srv pks srpfjsdpovs srpijvsappr srppvkjdpbjfyjsflfdsoiubdti eiae podf w
    aflksgn dafoig dfpoi drfapog epoig teiguw;apsgh eg

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

The holy spirit inspired me to "type in fingers"!!

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Most of the time, you don't understand what you are saying, but you cannot help but speak. Its like getting a feeling of vomiting, then words start coming out and you can't or don't want to stop.

Catholic priests might refer to this as one who is in need of an exorsizim.

Grave. get your fingers to a priest quik! LOL

http://ourworld.cs.com/pwmkwzy/home.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit