Does God's word apply to God?

by mauiboy 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mauiboy
    mauiboy

The TV news about Syria is truly disgusting, and it is only the tip of a much bigger situation that has been going on for milleniums.:"Mans inhumanity to man". But I can't get the scripture at James 4:17 out of my mind. "Therefore, if one knows how to do what is right and yet does not do it, it is a sin for him." Unless Jehovah God has a second set of rules for us and him, how can this not be corrected by Him? Or is he letting his own word condemn him? If we are to strive to be like him, then there is no limit to the wrongdoing. He does, after all, have the power to correct all the crap going on in the world.....is His not using that power "a sin for him"?

• prologos
    prologos

may be the bible writers tried to prod him into action.

not different than the GB/FDS by setting dates to dare him.

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

Well God technically can't do anything about badness yet. Remember he's giving the Devil time to prove he's a good ruler?

I mean that's what the whole sovereignty issue is about, who deserves to lord over us lowly humans? So while billions of people have died over the course of human history those words from James don't apply to God. Billions more will suffer all in the name of good sport, who really is better- we don't matter, I doubt we ever did.

Sucks huh? I think so too..

• mP
    mP

Sammy:

Where does it say the Devil has a limited time as ruler gifted by God ?

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is not omnipotent. Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent. Is He both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is He neither able nor willing? Then why call Him God?

Epicurus (c. 341 - c. 270 BC)

• steve2
    steve2

Didn't "God" coin the maxim, "Do as I say, not as I do"? Or at least the "God" conceptualized by man did.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Maybe Jehovah is in Syria... getting down and dirty with Hezbollah ... he always did like a good war, and that is the part of the world he likes to hang around in. What else could you expect from that homicidal maniac?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

"You must not kill" for god means "Unless you are me then you can kill as many people as you want and nobody can say jack about it or I'll kill them too."

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

Hi MP, please don't misinterpret my sarcasm, I didn't say the devil is a ruler gifter by God... I said God "can't" do anything because of technicalities.

*** w10 1/15 p. 29 par. 4 Jehovah’s Way of Ruling Vindicated! ***

" True, in the short term, Jehovah has allowed Satan to act as “the god of this system of things” in order to provide a convincing answer to the issues that were raised by that opposer. (2 Cor. 4:4; 1 John 5:19) Nevertheless, Satan has never been able to go beyond what Jehovah permits. (2 Chron. 20:6; compare Job 1:11, 12; 2:3-6.) And there have always been some individuals who chose to subject themselves to God, even though they were living in a world ruled by God’s great Adversary."

*** w10 1/15 p. 32 par. 16 Jehovah’s Way of Ruling Vindicated! ***

16 The time is fast approaching when the issues raised in Eden will be resolved. Hence, now is the time for people to make a decision. Each individual must decide whether he will accept Jehovah’s way of governing or he will cling to human rule. It is our privilege to help meek ones to make the right decision. Soon, at Armageddon, Jehovah’s way of governing will permanently replace human-based governments under Satan’s influence. (Dan. 2:44; Rev. 16:16) Human rule will end, and God’s Kingdom will hold sway over the entire earth. In the fullest sense of the word, Jehovah’s way of governing will stand vindicated.—Read Revelation 21:3-5.

Sorry for the delayed response, hadn't been on in a while.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Mauiboy: “Therefore, if one knows how to do what is right and yet does not do it, it is a sin for him.” Unless Jehovah God has a second set of rules for us and him, how can this not be corrected by Him? Or is he letting his own word condemn him?

Actually, you’re quite correct. God and man are governed by different sets of laws. Man is under divine obligation to do good and right. God also does what is good and right, but He has an obligation to allow man his free agency, with only limited interference from Him.

When the wicked slay the wicked, God is under no obligation to prevent it. But when man fails to prevent it, the sin lies at his door. The purpose of this life is for man to be tried and tested. Nothing that happens, no matter how horrible, is of any lasting hurt...only what we do to ourselves. When people perish, whether it’s in the waves of the sea, or whether they fall from the air or are killed by maniacal tyrants or filthy degenerates, there are no lives that blink out of existence, even for a fraction of a second. Both people and animals simply change environments. That’s why the Lord said to not fear those who have the power to kill, but rather, him who can destroy both body and soul. In some situations, God has preserved the lives of his servants and others. In other situations, He allows atrocities to be committed so as to allow the free agency of mortals to play out to their condemnation. For, as the scriptures state, a murderer hath not eternal life abiding in him.

So the Lord, to an extent, must let things play out. If He prevented our mistakes and sins, and stopped our wars and atrocities, He would actually be violating His own edicts. Noah and his family came through the great flood, but within three generations, his offspring had refused to spread out over the face of the land and, under the leadership of his great grandson, Nimrod, his descendants had slipped back into the degradation of the pre-flood conditions. Thus, instead of destroying them, the Lord confounded their languages.

So man, for better or for worse, is the steward of this world under the protecting hand of God. If man becomes the product of greed and corruption and seeks for power and gain, he listens to the voice of Satan and his angels. But his is the choice between good and evil. Atheism wasn’t an issue with Nimrod and the other offspring of Noah. The knew God lived and bitterly resented His destruction of their fathers through the flood. His tower was his symbol of rebellion and resentment.

Finally, God allows Satan to tempt man and to foster rebellion. The constant presence of evil and good are necessary so that man can make a choice. For God to abrogate that choice and nullify man’s free agency would destroy His entire plan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit