Letter to BOE re: baptism of my minor children

by Michelle365 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Michelle365
  • Michelle365
    Michelle365

UGH. What is up with the formatting disappearing? Michelle LXXXX XXXXX. Cape Coral, Fl 33993 [email protected] September 4, 2013 SENT VIA CERTIFIED MAIL NO.:7013 1090 0001 3703 7910 AND REGULAR MAIL XXXXX Congregation Body of Elders XXXXX Cape Coral, FL 33991 RE: JXXXX & HXXXX To The XXXXX Congregation Body of Elders: I am the natural mother of JXXXX & HXXXX XXXX and I have joint custody with their father James XXXX, who is a member of your congregation. Our custody agreement indicates that James & I have joint decision making powers regarding religious matters. It has come to my attention that one or both of my daughters may be contemplating baptism now or in the near future. I understand that in your organization age is not a determining factor in whether or not a person can get baptized, however as the Young People Ask book points out: "Is there a certain age by which you should be baptized? Age is not the primary factor. Still, you should be old enough -- and mature enough -- to understand the meaning of dedication." - Young People Ask Vol 2, Chapter 31 ("Should I Get Baptized?") I do not feel that JXXXX or HXXXX are old enough or mature enough to understand and comprehend the full meaning of being baptized as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. This same book includes the following advice: "What if you want to get baptized but your parents say you should wait? Perhaps they’d like you to gain more experience in Christian living. Value their advice, and use this time to grow in your friendship with Jehovah.--1 Samuel 2:26." I consider the second question of the baptism 'vows' to be equivalent to agreeing to a life long contract, which would require them to accept all that went with being a recognized member of Jehovah's Witnesses. Therefore, making any vow of allegiance to an organization, religious or otherwise, is something that I as their mother object to. Much in the way that my children are not mature enough to get married, they are also not mature enough to get baptized as baptism is a commitment even more serious than marriage. This is a weighty decision for a person of any age and I am adamantly against my children making the biggest decision of their lives prior to becoming a legal adult at the age of 18. I expressly deny permission for my children to get baptized. I expect that my wishes as their mother will be honored and my children, JXXXX & HXXXX XXXX, will not be recommended for baptism prior to their respective 18th birthdays. Thank you for your attention to this matter. Sincerely, Michelle LXXXX cc: Jehovah’s Witnesses 25 Columbia Heights Brooklyn, NY 11201-2483 Certified Mail No.: 7013 1090 0001 3703 7897 Simmons Law Firm, P.A. 2211 Widman Way, Ste 650 Fort Myers, Fl 33901 Certified Mail No.: 7013 7090 0001 3703 7880

• Michelle365
    Michelle365

How do I get it to stay formatted?

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

(bookmarking)

• besty
    besty

To The XXXXX Congregation Body of Elders:

I am the natural mother of JXXXX & HXXXX XXXX and I have joint custody with their father James XXXX, who is a member of your congregation.

Our custody agreement indicates that James & I have joint decision making powers regarding religious matters. It has come to my attention that one or both of my daughters may be contemplating baptism now or in the near future.

I understand that in your organization age is not a determining factor in whether or not a person can get baptized, however as the Young People Ask book points out: "Is there a certain age by which you should be baptized? Age is not the primary factor. Still, you should be old enough -- and mature enough -- to understand the meaning of dedication." - Young People Ask Vol 2, Chapter 31 ("Should I Get Baptized?")

I do not feel that JXXXX or HXXXX are old enough or mature enough to understand and comprehend the full meaning of being baptized as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. This same book includes the following advice: "What if you want to get baptized but your parents say you should wait? Perhaps they’d like you to gain more experience in Christian living. Value their advice, and use this time to grow in your friendship with Jehovah.--1 Samuel 2:26."

I consider the second question of the baptism 'vows' to be equivalent to agreeing to a life long contract, which would require them to accept all that went with being a recognized member of Jehovah's Witnesses. Therefore, making any vow of allegiance to an organization, religious or otherwise, is something that I as their mother object to.

Much in the way that my children are not mature enough to get married, they are also not mature enough to get baptized as baptism is a commitment even more serious than marriage. This is a weighty decision for a person of any age and I am adamantly against my children making the biggest decision of their lives prior to becoming a legal adult at the age of 18.

I expressly deny permission for my children to get baptized. I expect that my wishes as their mother will be honored and my children, JXXXX & HXXXX XXXX, will not be recommended for baptism prior to their respective 18th birthdays.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely, Michelle LXXXX

cc: Jehovah’s Witnesses 25 Columbia Heights Brooklyn, NY 11201-2483

• clarity
    clarity

Michelle ....... so proud of you for being a MOTHER to your

girls & not trying to be just a friend! They will thank you later!

>

Great letter & to the point ...wonder if you should bring up any

sort of legal/lawyer, stuff/threat?

>

Good luck with this ......Simon has been updating this site and

some things like your formatting problem have happened.

clarity

• Michelle365
    Michelle365

Thanks Besty! What's your secret??

• happy@last
    happy@last

Hi Michelle365, I understand your frustration. I would perhaps word it that 'legally' they are not old enough and that you will seek legal advice should your children decide to go ahead.

• Michelle365
    Michelle365

@Clarity- thanks! I am debating the legal threat, I did "cc" my attorney on the letter, but am thinking my first letter shouldn't have any threats?? IDK.

@happy@last- hmm I like that. Maybe I can work that in.

• losingit
    losingit

Yes, mention the words" legally" and "law" and "lawyers" and you should be good to go. Good luck! Let us know the outcome of your letter! And thank you for posting this for others to use in the future.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit