RFK killer Sirhan Sirhan's dad a JW?

by bytheirworks 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bytheirworks
    bytheirworks

If you believe Sirhan Sirhan killed Robert Kennedy... here's a fun question: Was his father Bishara Sirhan a JW?

In this newspaper article, they claim he is:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1798&dat=19680606&id=j0QgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=JIwEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7123,578715

In this newspaper it says it has an inscription on the wall mentioning Jehovah:

http://jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg%20Subject%20Index%20Files/K%20Disk/Kennedy%20Robert%20F%20Assassination%20Clips/Item%20003.pdf

They say he was smoking a chain of cigarettes, but that means nothing as smoking was not banned among the witnesses at that time.

In this July 9, 1968 Branch letter, Watchtower demands the story be squashed:

http://www.watchtowerdocuments.com/documents/1968_Watchtower_letter_on_Kennedy.pdf

They also say that: "subscribers to magazines published by Jehovah's Witnesses have canceled subscriptions."

Notice what the Watchtower is concerned about only 3 days after the assasination... as the Nation is still in mourning.

• bytheirworks
  • Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Interesting! Though the second article indicates that he was a member of the Greek Orthodox faith, so evidently Sirhan Sirhan was never a JW, and Bishara (if he ever was one) must have converted later in life. It also noted that Bishara Sirhan was chain smoking cigarettes during the interview.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I remember back when it happened in 1968 I definitely remember it being read at the end of the meeting one night, basically saying/asking if anyone knew anything about Sirhan Sirhan being a JW or being affiliated with the JWs

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

The use of the name 'Jehovah' on your home indicates nothing.

I called on a house years ago which had the name 'Jehovah displayed on an ornate plaque - expecting to be received at least respectfully. I was treated very disdainfully.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Marked

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I remember back at the time that our Overseer surprised us all by praying at the meeting for our brothers who were family to the murderer of Robert Kennedy. Afterwards when pressed about it he said he had learned on the grapevine that Sirhan Sirhan was either a lapsed bro. or related to a family of J W's.

A while later a magazine disclaimed him as a JW. It is unusual that they would comment on an individual, but they did. I think it must have been a pre 1970 Awake because it is not on the c/d rom

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

This is another example of things that added to my Cognitive Dissonance. Not that I actually remember anything about this particular individual.

But this sort of thing, where the WT would make extraordinary efforts to distance themselves from members who did something embarrassing, used to make me think "why ?" , some JW f***s up, so what ? we are all imperfect.

It was the same when they made excuses for Michael Jacksons (Brilliant !) Thriller video, why excuse it ?

The same mentality seems to be what motivates them to sweep the terrible endemic Paedophilia in their midst under the carpet, although Punk of Nice thinks it is more sinister than just that, he thinks the "Management" of the WT is riddled with Paedophiles. Maybe.

The constant wriggling works against them of course, it is patently obvious that they are trying to whitewash a grave in most cases, it doesn't make them look good, just silly.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The news release says something like, "John Doe is not a Jehovah's Witness" (because we disfellowshipped him last week).

• jam
    jam

I went to school with Sirhan, John Muir high in Pasadena

Ca (1963). He was a senior and I a freshman. He lived a few doors

from my ex-in-laws. Never knew the guy, don,t remember him

in high school. In our year book no photo of the guy but he did

serve as Junior class council and senior class council.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit