Article: It's Time to Outlaw Extreme Shunning in Modern Society

by AndersonsInfo 183 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Band, I have always appreciated your posts; I don't always agree with you, but hey, that is what makes this board so much fun.

But this vicious personal attack on Barb Anderson and comparing your and her qualifications has me worried about you.

Please re-read the entire thread and see if you really believe all that you have posted here.

P

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

P.S. You hate me, Vidiot knows what to do. Talk to Vidiot. Vidiot is not alone. Well-meaning people are ruining the lives of ex Witnesses. I would never say what I am saying here under normal circumstances. Too much nice, white, black, and Latino juicy apostate bodies for the WT powers to torture, slaughter, and eat with pleasure. Yum, Yum, I love apostate bodies!

Every cause has defeats. Don't be involved in a defeat where your enemy is laughing hysterically at you. Believe me, WT powers are bursting out in laughter over the recent fiascos. They were not normal fiascos. No, they were delight your enemy fiascos.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I don't know if you were referring to me, but I don't hate you.

I just disagree with what you are saying about Barb, I think it is over the top.

Let's take it easy, OK?

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

I sure can bring out the worst in some people. And I'm just the one who posted someone else's article. Imagine if I wrote it, what the reaction would be. However, Band on the Run has a right to her opinion and that's the beauty of discussion boards where we can express ourselves without punishment, unlike being one of Jehovah's Witnesses who would be penalized with shunning for saying anything negative about "Mother." Tomorrow is another day and the board will go on to like or not like someone else's thread.

Strange, I started a few threads and posted my opinion on some threads after an absence of many months on this board, and I've become someone who is too much in the public eye. Hey, I wrote a few essays recently that I'm planning to post on the Internet. Doing this will prove to be interesting, but I can handle criticism and can give as good as I get. Let the games begin!

Barb

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Barb,

I have a habit of not responding to everything people post on a thread, because it is just opinons which everyone is entitled to, I may not agree with what some people post, and usually I don't want to change their mind unless it was something really serious but if it is not then O well maybe I will or maybe I won't depending on how I feel at the moment.

I like people to feel somewhat uninhibited to post thought's what ever they are. And I think you do a fine job of it, wishing you the best in what you are doing.

My girl friend likes to vent a little and I try to provide some space for her to do so because we all need it from time to time.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

The way i see it (and I may be completely wrong in this, so will an expert correct me if that's in order), is that it will be next to impossible to use the law against the WT for the practice of shunning upon disfellowshipped people. However, the threat of disfellowshipping over those who breach the rule of shunning disfellowshipped ones (which is a personal liberty, after all), wouldn't THAT constitute an unnaceptable restriction on personal liberties?

Eden

• never a jw
    never a jw

Pursuing legal means to eliminate shunning is the wrong path. That is the way to totalitarianism. Shunning falls in the area of morality and desirable conduct, not of criminality. Denouncing it as we do in a free forum is the proper way, but asking the judicial system to intervene is asking for the Stalins to rule in a Democracy (sorry for the oxymoron)

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Never,

Denouncing it as we do in a free forum is the proper way, but asking the judicial system to intervene is asking for the Stalins to rule in a Democracy (sorry for the oxymoron)

I agree but not strictly, but lets not inhibit our free thinkers too much with black and white thinking it slow down the process.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The posters in this forum who keep bringing up Stalin might take a few minutes to review his history.

So far, neither Barb or the writer of the article have proposed killing 15 million people; to keep invoking Stalin is ruining your argument.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I don't know how soon about legal laws would come into U.S. or other countries about shunning. But awareness to the attention and public awareness has changed our culture and people's attitudes first and greatly. There are many affected on many issues. Drinking and driving for many years only created a shrug, or helpless situation. Legally and in public opinion, for so long nothing/much could be done. The laws got more defined. Also, wife beating, (that was only like a marriage privacy concern for so long) child abuses or neglects (degrees of physical disciplines and emotional abuses, so called for a long time only spanking or discipline,,family issue only). Laws there have gotten more defined.

So, hurting anyone in marriage, and hurting one's children have become public and not so 'private' and the law(s) have gotten more specific and some would complain, invasive. However, there is more studies of the long-term effect of such behaviors impacting public society.

I see, at least the media news and tv having real accounts of the Amish. At least they don't recruit so not as threatening. However, seemingly only a peaceful people with no electricity or cars, now people are aghast how they throw out their youth and shun them. They emotionally are not prepared for a life outside, and only going to school till eight grade doesn't help. Also, Scientology is getting exposure. I wouldn't have known as much about these religions if it weren't for their "apostates" or their previous members who are informing. The Scientologists vocal "apostates" are impacting that religion for certain.

Extreme practices within some Islam sects and even some Christian groups, have the laws challenged.

Laws do get defined, but very slowly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit