Petition in England: "Ban Jehovah's Witnesses!" - (HM Government)

by Oubliette 21 Replies latest jw friends

• S EIGHT
    S EIGHT

this is bonkers and poorly written too. 120k peadophiles??? what a shame, it could have been thought about and structured better.

• Simon
    Simon

This is the trouble when people overreach with their demands - it's simply not achievable and will never happen and makes the ones requesting it look bitter and obsessive. Making over-the-top claims without anything to back it up destroys credibility.

It's better to focus on a specific issue (such as child abuse or shunning) and try and force change of behavior or use that to question charitable status. Again though, it wouldn't happen for the organization as a whole but could be applied to specific congregations.

I think you'd need a publicity campaign first to generate enough public outrage that people would act. Something like "tax payers money going to cover up child abuse by people maquerading as a charity". That's the sort of emotive headline that could get published somewhere but even so, I don't think many people would act and 100,000 signatures doesn't sound like a lot but it's quite a high target to reach without an established network of volunteers.

• cantleave
  • Truth seeker 674
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

If every JWN member would send an e-mail to every Church in their area, I bet you would get the signatures needed. Also, think about College Campuses. I think problem is that people are truly not informed. They don't know who dubs are, and they don't know what goes on. Even dubs have no idea what is going on! Exposure is the key. How can more be done? What are the Watchtower Awareness guys doing? Seems like Cedars is more pro-active. Then again, perhaps I am ignorant of certain facts.

The Charity issue is the way to go. Don't feed the persecution complex.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Did a google search for the name and came up with a teenager from Evesham who's into cooking and calls herself smoochiepuss..... of course it could be several different names and not the same person at all but just thought it was amusing.

How can anyone write stuff like that and expect to be taken seriously?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Smoochiepuss!?!?!? Apostate for sure!!

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Still 999 984 to to achieve the goal.

Apart from that, isn’t the number of 120,000 in the so-called pedophile register highly infalted... I thought it was far less. Or my memory might serve me wrong...

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

This is on www.report-it.org.uk. It is a central government site where people can report hate crimes or even hate incidents. In the library that I work in we have been told that anyone can come in and report a hate incident when someone treats them badly because of their race, religion/belief, sexual orientation or disability. I have been wondering for some time if those recently disfellowshipped could use this. If you look at the last line the hate incident includes verbal abuse, harassment and bullying. Surely this would apply to their kangaroo courts?

Report a hate crime or incident

All hate crimes and incidents should be reported. By reporting incidents, you will enable the police, local councils, housing associations etc to build up patterns of behaviour locally, and highlight areas of concern within your community.

But more importantly, you can get the support you may need and help ensure that offenders are brought to justice and cannot to the same to other people.

Why should I report hate crime?

Hate crimes and incidents hurt; they can be confusing and frightening.

By reporting them when they happen to you, you may be able to prevent these incidents from happening to someone else. You will also help the police understand the extent of hate crime in your local area so they can better respond to it.

Reporting makes a difference - to you, your friends, and your life.

How can I report?

There are several ways you can report a hate crime, whether you have been a victim, a witness, or you are reporting on behalf of someone else:

1. In an emergency
    •call 999 or 112.
    •If you cannot make voice calls, you can now contact the 999 emergency services by SMS text from your mobile phone. However, you will only be able to use this service if you have registered with emergencySMS first. See the emergencySMS website for details. (opens in new window)

2. Contact the police
    •Who you can speak to in confidence. You do not have to give your personal details, but please be aware the investigation and ability to prosecute the offender(s) is severely limited if the police cannot contact you. Contact your local police force, either by telephone or by visiting your local police station. Details on how to contact your local police force can be found on the Directgov website (opens in new window).

3. Report online
    •You can report online using the facility on this website. Go to the 'Reporting online' page (open in new window).

4. Self reporting form
    •You can download the self reporting form and send this to your local police force. The forms, including an Easy Read version, can be found on the 'Report a hate crime' page.

5. Third party reporting centres
    •Local agencies such as the Citizens Advice Bureau, Community Voluntary Services etc can also report the incident on your behalf and provide you with advice and support. The 'Organisations that can help' page has a list of organisations that may be able to help you.
    •Stop Hate UK provide confidential and independent Hate Crime reporting services in various areas in the UK including a 24 hour helpline.

6. Reporting Terrorist and Extremist Material
    •"The internet is used by some people to promote terrorism and extremism. You can challenge and report terrorist and extremist content you find online, which you feel is offensive, or illegal. For more information about what makes online content illegal and how to report it, please visit www.direct.gov.uk/reportingonlineterrorism

7. Crimestoppers
    •If you do not want to talk to the police or fill in the reporting forms, you can still report a hate crime by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 or via their website at www.crimestoppers-uk.org (open in new window). You do not have to give your name and what you say is confidential. It is free to call.
    •You can give us as little or as much personal information as you wish. But please note:
    •With your details... the incident can be investigated fully and you can get the service you deserve and the support you need.
    •Without your details... the report will be used for monitoring purposes to get a true vision of what is happening.

I'm ready to report - take me to the reporting page

What can I report?

You can report any incident you believe was motivated by hostility based on your:
    •disability
    •race
    •religion/belief
    •sexual orientation
    •transgender identity

These incidents may involve physical attacks, verbal abuse, domestic abuse, harassment, damage to your property, bullying or graffiti.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

cedars - We tried that last year but couldn't get enough signatures.

That said, anyone would be welcome to try again!

Simon - This is the trouble when people overreach with their demands - it's simply not achievable and will never happen and makes the ones requesting it look bitter and obsessive. Making over-the-top claims without anything to back it up destroys credibility.

It's better to focus on a specific issue (such as child abuse or shunning) and try and force change of behavior or use that to question charitable status. Again though, it wouldn't happen for the organization as a whole but could be applied to specific congregations.

What prevents a Brit from making a pertition that focuses on issues instead of an organization like Simon wrote?

The following three issues could easily be written as either a single petition or multiple petitions:

• Write and debate changes to charitable laws to revoke the charitiable status of any organization and its leaders, including its parent organization and leaders if it is an international organization, that promotes members shun/mark their family and friends. Research has shown that shunning/marking is a punishment that may lead to long-term psychological and emotional problems that may increase government expenditures.
    • Write and debate changes to charitable laws to revoke the charitiable status of any organization and its leaders, including its parent organization and leaders if it is an international organization, that promotes members do not report violent felony crimes such as child abuse/molestation, rape to local law enforcement before reporting to the organization's legal department. Research has shown that child abuse/molestation and rape may lead to long-term psychological and emotional problems that may increase government expenditures and that some charitable organizations have been known to hiinder law enforcement investigations to protect the image of the organization.
    • Write and debate changes to charitable laws to revoke the charitiable status of any organization and its leaders, including its parent organization and leaders if it is an international organization, that does not spend at least 35% of its income on helping non-members to perform scientific research to fight deases/illnesses and obtain food, health-care, housing, education and other activities that reduce government expenditures. If current laws do not require organizations to submit certified income and expense forms to the government, then also modify laws to make it a requirement.
    • Write and debate changes to charitable laws to revoke the charitiable status of any organization and its leaders, including its parent organization and leaders if it is an international organization, that promotes to its members in all forms of communications such as print and in speeches hate speech that causes division between family and friends. Research has shown that some organizations do promote diversion between family and friends which may lead to long-term psychological and emotional problems that may increase government expenditures.

I hope that some British member of JWN would at least submit petition(s) based on issues instead of against the WTBTS. If a Brit is willing to submit such a petition, I would be willing to write emails to other organizations to spread the word to their members to support the petition once a month for the next year.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

P.S. - I would write the petition, but I'm an American.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit