Off to tell the family...

by Gypsy Sam 26 Replies latest jw friends

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

glad it went well for you.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

My side of the family (as distinct from in-laws) also did not want to see that I was "gone" . They still view me as a bro having problems and say things like " As you are in contact with 'The Truth' , that's the main thing. I am in contact since my wife is a dub and I attend sometimes just to support her.

It seems they could not grasp that I would really want to go away from it. NB The in-laws just change the subject, they hardly talk about it anyway.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Thanks for updating us. Sounds like it went relatively well when you think of what could have happened.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I agree with leaving, don't do it. Unless you are very confident they are of similar mind, I can't see what is to be gained.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Oh I missed the update, so far so good. If they want to let matters rest it may be best to go along with it.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Due to a quick visit I'll be taking somewhat last minute, I will see my family again very soon. I really am not comfortable with them thinking I am in any way active with JW world anymore. Last time I visited, my teenager was with me and there really wasn't a good time to speak freely.

I have to be true to myself, whatever the outcome. While it seems they may not want to really know where things stand, I am compelled to at least touch on the points here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/262252/1/This-WT-book-allows-one-raised-as-a-JW-to-do-a-critical-review-of-the-religion-and-elders-cant-go-against-it#.UjW26Xy9KSM

The child abuse issue was the main reason I started digging and I've tried to bring that up with them, but the cognitive dissonance kicks in. Sigh. They delight in how awful the world is and can't wait for it to end.

I also want to get the point across that I'm funding private college prep high school for my child, as a single mother. This means I'm very focused on her going to college and will NOT they parents retirement plan, when the system doesn't end. (I'm also headed back to school, which they know).

My daughter won't be with me on this trip, so I really don't mind if an argument ensues.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Gypsy Sam, I fully understand the situation of not having their beliefs influence your daughter's view of furthering her own education. (If I understand that correctly)

I'm in a similar situation with my wifes family, and they only know of our lack of attendance to meetings, but they still try to press their WTBTS aligned opinions upon our daughter of needing to "think about pioneering the end is so close" yada yada. I don't want my daughter to get confused. However, at her age of 13 now, she is able to stand up for herself and her beliefs nicely also.

Best wishes on your visitation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit