How exactly did Paul keep in touch with his network of churches across the empire...

by mP 84 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mP
    mP

The bible presents him as humble with limit means. I always wondered how a man with a travelling companion of two like Timothy managed to knnow or hear about all his churches. How exactly does the troubles of Corinth manage to find Paul when hes over in Judea or maybe somewhere in what we call Turkey ? Travelling took months, how would the messenger know where to go ? Even if he knew the first stop after P left Corinth, it requires real luck to follow P's path. One person could give the wrong place and he could end up in Spain Africa.

How did P ever manage to this entire netowrk ?

• Rob Crompton
    Rob Crompton

Obviously it would have taken a long time for messages to be relayed in the ancient world but, so long as someone keeps all his contacts well informed of his intended destinations, it need not be difficult for messages to be conveyed along busy trade routes. Conversely, someone on the move could easily sever all connection with his previous contacts simply by keeping quiet about his travelling intentions.

• processor
    processor

There have already been field service report slips in Paul's day.

Really, when I left I had a discussion with the elders and told them that it would be unbiblical to report field service hours. One elder replied that there must have been field service reports in Paul's day, otherwise he would not have been able to give counsel to the congregations.

• Giordano
    Giordano

The Romans had well established trade routes and one could send one's letters for a fee. Unfortunately Paul took full advantage to send out his manipulate crapola and invented Christianity.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Holy Spirit?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

State of the art comunications:

• Think About It
    Think About It

Maybe they used this guy to deliver mail to & from Paul.

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

Obviously, Facebook. Twitter was scrapped after the sisters starting gossping about everything too much, and then Paul had to call a special assembly to warn everyone of the deep, dark, dangerous evil perils of social media sites. Those who couldn't attend were linked in via Skype. :)

• Terry
    Terry

Pliny the Younger, who lived from 62-114, sent an apologetic letter to the emperor Trajan.

Pliny apologized to Trajan is as follows:

“Up to now, my Lord, I have only issued permits for people and letters to use the imperial post on your business. I have broken my own rules because of an emergency. My wife heard that her grandfather had died and was so upset that she wanted to rush off and visit her aunt, and I found it very hard to refuse to give her a permit to travel by the imperial post, as it is the quickest way .... I relied on your kindness and acted as though I had already received the favor even though I had not yet asked you for it. I did not wait until I had asked you because if I had waited, it would have been too late.”

The Roman empired was world famous for superlatively engineered roads that criss-crossed the empire, straight and flat. Over these roads horse-drawn mail carts traveled at a minimum of 50 miles a day from city to city collecting and delivering mail.

A system of relay teams expedited the delivery of emergency mail or urgent messages for a coverage of up to 170 miles a day.

Who established the first official postal service? Augustus Caesar (27 B.C. to A.D. 14) employing a myriad of military officials and local governors.

Naturally, government officials had better, faster and more reliable mail delivery than the common people; the "cursus publicus" or fast course private system of courier consisting of servants and merchants.

In addition to almost fifty thousand miles of roads, relay stations and tight schedules of delivery, a network of station masters, accountants

and horse grooms were provided for the mail carriers.

A fast course was divided into two branches to expedite communication throughout the empire. Oxen were used to transport heavy loads. Service was often allowed to be used for personal reasons. (Such as Pliny explained to emperor Trajan.)

• JeffT
    JeffT

I don't think Paul was replying to specific communications. It was more what the rumor mill reported. Although Roman roads were good and it was not all that difficult to get a message from one place to another it is clear that nothing like today's GB arrangement could work. It simply took too long to get information from one place to another. Individual congregations must have been largely independent of outside control.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit