Drive by shootings the new Aussie craze in Sydney!!!!

by Witness 007 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• JeffT
    JeffT

Australia has strict gun control laws, so this can't be happening.

Right?

• karter
    karter

When Joh was in power Queensland police were the best money coud'd buy.

Karter.

• Pickler
    Pickler

Sadly Sydney has become a city with a lot of areas you just don't go to. It's like 2 different worlds co exist side by side.

I don't care, about gang wars with bikies/lebs - as long as they keep it away from the rest of us :)

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Sadly Sydney has become a city with a lot of areas you just don't go to.

Yup, Pickler - like the city or the cross on fri/sat night. Its not the shootings that scare me - they seem to have clear targets, and I'm seldom surprised by the identity of the people living in the houses targeted.

It's the brutal violence of young guys, pissed out of their already midget-sized brains, who are (it seems) prepared to randomly and violently king-hit some other young guy. I do not understand the boiling rage that must be part of the psyche of these people.

A singaporean friend says, what can we expect. Singapore's streets are safe places to be at night, because the police stand no-nonsense and the courts back them up and the death penalty is applied if the crime merits execution.

I started argueing with him that the death penalty was inhumane. But I now have to admit he's right.

Various rape/murder incidents by criminals on parole, demonstrate the ease with which these criminal can manipulate their assessors. Light sentencing (my Sg friend calls it, a slap on the wrist) makes it all worse. Our governments can no longer act as protectors of honest citizens.

I'm calling for Joe Stalin's remedy - a machine gun and a brick wall !!!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I own a house in Merrylands. I built it in 2000, but since 2007 the shootings in that suburb has become about once a month, so I moved out a year ago to a safer suburb. However, the shootings are not an "Aussie Craze." The Merryland shootings are entirely amongst a couple of Lebanese drug dealing families that moved into the suburb, that own a number of clubs and run cocaine at Kings Cross.

If you view this map http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/sydney-shootings the shootings are concentrated around three areas - Granville, Punchbowl and Kogarah - which are densely populated by Lebanese, specifically those that run the cocaine and speed/ice trade in Sydney that are involved.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Julia - Bad guys will have guns but where are they getting them? It's. Or like we have a land border with a dodgy country that's smuggling them in, and everything has to come by sea or air where it's checked at the ports.

I read a report about the number of guns in Australia, which is actually quite high. However, unlike America, it is confined predominantly to drug dealers, and the shootings are confined very much to the criminal element.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

That's pretty much what I thought.

And in defense of govt employees who let immigrants in: mostly its the aust born children of the immigrants who cause these problems. The parents often come from these crazy countries to get away from it, but their kids act up. For example, what happened in Cabramatta with the gangs of kids born to Vietnamese parents. Yes, the parents have a responsibility to give their Kidd better values, but so often these immigrants have to work really long hours to make ends meet or get ahead.

So yes, let's send the Cronulla rioters and the young fellows from the Lakemba mosque back to where they came from. Should be easy, they came from Sydney.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Bloody hell, I was born in Kogarah. Scary stuff.

Funny about the Lebanese. We have more of them coming to the gold coast and my husband even works for a Lebanese family. They all seem so nice! Maybe they move here to get away from what's happening in their ethnic community in Sydney. The ones my hubby works for are actually Lebanese born and are probably not into the drug wars and that because they're glad to be here in the first place. I believe they support family in Lebanon. And not with drug dealings either.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    mostly its the aust born children of the immigrants who cause these problems. ... For example, what happened in Cabramatta with the gangs of kids born to Vietnamese parents.

It is interesting that two of the cultures that have been predominantly behind much of the drug trade in Sydney (Vietnamese and Lebanese) were both refugees from war torn countries. The third now causing problems in Sydney are Sudanese, also from a country of civil war. It is not so much an issue I think with those races, but rather the numbing affect of losing so much through war and displacement. There is far less problems related with Vietnamese now that there have been more generations, settling and education, and in time Lebanese will create less problems as well, as they settle and have better levels of education and employment.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

It's interesting how it's usually the first and sometimes generation Australians of ethnic backgrounds who do this. I've heard that they get frustrated because they're caught between cultures a la Looking For Alibrandi and it causes frustration. Or maybe they get some sort of sense of belonging from identifying with the parent culture but something goes awry.

So the Sudanese are the new ones eh? Maybe the trauma makes em act out. Culture shock is a huge frustration too I can imagine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit