How Do You Know If You Are "Marked"?

by Thoughtless 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"Shepherd The Flock of God" book, p.124:

Marking Disorderly Ones

1. At times it may be necessary to mark those who display a flagrant disregard for theocratic order though not practicing a grave sin that would result in judicial action. (w99 7/15 pp. 29-31) This could include such things as being grossly lazy or critical or being a profitless talker who is a constant 'meddler with what does not concern him.' (2 Thess. 3:11) It may involve one who schemes to take material advantage of others, indulges in entertainment that is clearly improper, or dates when not legally or Scripturally free.-od p. 150-151. 2. If the disorderly conduct is generally unknown to others and poses no threat to their spiritual well- being, usually it is best to handle things through admonition and counsel. The elders should not be hasty in giving a warning talk. However! if the individual does not see the error of his way but continues to be an unwholesome influence a warning talk may be given to the congregation.

3. If the disorderly one becomes ashamed of his ways and is moved to change, then as elders of the congregation see the adjustment, they can individually decide to end the limitation they have put on personally socializing with him. This will indicate to the congregation that he is no longer marked.

• Hummingbird001
    Hummingbird001

If someone has "marked" you, they are required to go to you privately and explain that they are "marking" you and why.

If they don't do that and are avoiding you anyways, they are probably just a jerk.

• Thoughtless
    Thoughtless

Oh. Oh Gawd. Well, I should clear out the cookies of my laptop then. I know that alcohol was given as a local needs part in my congregation but I don't think that was a 'marking' talk. But anyway, I think that the Elders in my Cong. are actually one of the better "elders" that I have came into contact with. A little cold, yes, but I do like the way they handle things. My problem is the Org.

• Thoughtless
    Thoughtless

Hummingbird, thanks for the note. I am glad I am not marked. Whew. If I was marked, I don't see the point of staying any longer. I may just DA. No need for kissing a**.

• Violia
    Violia

The book may say they are required to tell you why you are being marked, but seldom do people do this now . Most of the time you just figure it out, you are left out of private gatherings and barely acknowledged at the KH. It should be clear if you were once friends with folks and been to their home and now aren't, there is a reason. They can just privately mark you and not say a thing.

To quote from 30rock" , Lemon, there are no rules in Manhattan real estate or check in at an Italian airport..."

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Anyone who: . 1. Does not practice the traditions Jehovah's Witnesses are known for. 2. Does not go to the meetings anymore. 3. Does not go out in service anymore. 4. Exerts an unhealthy influence. 5. Is not obedient to their word. 6. Does anything which would reflect badly on the congregation. . Bottom line, they can "Mark" a person for just about anything they want to! . . Organized To Do Jehovah's Will. .

In his second letter to the Thessalonians, Paul warned of certain ones who were walking disorderly and who if accorded good standing in the congregation could exert an unhealthy influence. Paul admonished the Thessalonian Christians "to withdraw from every brother walking disorderly and not according to the tradition you received from us." He further clarified that statement by writing: "If anyone is not obedient to our word through this letter, keep this one marked, stop associating with him, that he may become ashamed. And yet do not be considering him as an enemy, but continue admonishing him as a brother.".2 Thess. 3:6, 14, 15. Occasionally, someone not known to be guilty of practicing a grave sin for which he could be expelled nevertheless displays flagrant disregard for theocratic order. This could include such things as being grossly lazy or critical, being a profitless talker who is a constant ’meddler with what does not concern him.’ (2 Thess. 3:11) Or this could include one who is scheming to take material advantage of others or indulging in entertainment that is clearly improper. The disorderly conduct is not so minor that it can be handled by applying Bible counsel and manifesting love; rather, it is serious enough to reflect badly on the congregation and potentially to spread to other Christians. After giving repeated admonition to such an individual and finding that he persists in disregarding well-established Bible principles, the elders may decide that a talk should be given to the congregation

Organized to Do Jehovah's Will Page 151

providing appropriate counsel concerning such disorderly conduct. Elders will use reasonableness and discernment in determining whether a particular situation is sufficiently serious and disturbing to require a warning talk. This talk will not name the disorderly one. However, those who are aware of the situation described in the talk will take heed and limit their social contacts with such individuals. The loving concern and firm stand of faithful members of the congregation could indeed move the disorderly one to shame and repentance. When it is clearly evident that the individual has abandoned his disorderly course, it would no longer be necessary to treat him as a marked individual. . . Atlantis

• Thoughtless
    Thoughtless

Ah. Well, I can still comment at meetings. Perhaps it is my paranoia. I just feel like Winston Smith, but I rather die before I have to get "reeducated" (again....and again....and again)

• CADSkin
    CADSkin

I've heard a marking talk before only because it was very pointed at a friend of mine. The marking talk doesn’t give names but a lot of times they’ll announce it as a “special needs” talk. It really does rely on the gossip in the hall to spread around who it’s about. Ours was about drugs and suicide which was very pointed at my poor friend who was in the hospital at the time of the talk. His parents were spreading the idea that he was tired from all his extra classes at school. After the talk he had a lot less visitors.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

'How Do You Know If You Are "Marked"? '

Don't take anything personal......EVER.

A Narcissist will use you as long as you provide narcissistic supply. When you no longer provide narcissistic supply to them they will cut you off.

• bafh
    bafh

The best way to keep from being marked is to not share your personal life with anyone. If they have no information - they will make stuff up to fill in the blanks - but it won't be anything they have evidence of - it will be more along the lines of you being materialistic or too private or whatever. The more friendly you can be at the meetings without revealing personal information the more confused they will become and eventually, they may leave you alone all together. If you are always "busy" eventually they will stop trying to socialize with you.

Just my 2 cents.

bafh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit