EVERYTHING you always wanted to know about shunning, excommunication and disfellowship practice

by Terry 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quendi
    Quendi

The last time I talked to my closest Witness friend, he asked me to “come back to Jehovah” and get reinstated. He was disfellowshipped at that time—and may still be for all I know—and was pursuing reinstatement himself. I told him that if he could find even the outline of the WTS procedure of trial-by-judicial committee anywhere in Holy Writ, I would humble myself and return to the Kingdom Hall. His silence spoke volumes and I still remember the look of fear which crossed his face after I issued that challenge.

Quendi

• sd-7
    sd-7
    I asked him how it could be a "god approved" practice now when the WT saw it as pagan and demonic in 1947?

The same way the Great Pyramid of Giza was "God's stone witness" and is now a tool of Satan. How about a magic trick? I'm going to make this doctrine disappear...

ta-daa!

It's gone...

--sd-7

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    AndDontCallMeShirley - "...That resulted in a long pause....and a full circle return to 'new light'."

I remember a long time ago (I was 10 or 11, I think) when my Dad was talking about the WTS's history, and he was fully acknowledging that they had taught some wrong things back in the day.

When I asked him "how do we know they're not wrong, now?", he replied that it actually didn't matter if they were right or wrong, it was (you guessed it) loyalty to God's Org that was the most important thing. I must have had a confused look on my face (after all, it wasn't called "The Truth" for nothing, I thought), because he added that "Jehovah allowed them to be mistaken about certain things because - at the time - it was what they needed to believe to maintain their unity; if we'd been given everything 100% accurate all at once, we wouldn't have been able to handle it" (I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist).

Oddly enough, I think he was actually correct about certain aspects of that argument; namely, that unity and loyalty matter far more (to the WTS) over doctrinal, historical, and scientific correctness, and that most R&F JWs would be unable to handle the "real Truth" all at once...

As I grew up, though, I found it harder and harder to subscribe to views that were based on inaccurate information, but he never gave me hard time about it. It's interesting; he was one of the gentle, loving types, and he was never harsh in his treatment of DFed individuals; he confided to me years later that when he'd been an elder, he'd hated serving on JCs.

I recently discovered that a close relative of mine is a fader like me (although for different reasons, and not as far advanced as I am); she'd adored my Dad and felt that he was a Christian first and a JW second and always appreciated how nice he'd treated her DFed hubby...

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

I would think this change would have seemed literally heart-breaking to individuals that were in the borg prior to 1947, then have things changed so drastically. Then again it may have been no different than it is now. Just keep your head down and avoid the beating stick.

Ridiculous.

Once again Terry, thanks for an in-depth look into yet another crazy teaching

• Hummingbird001
    Hummingbird001
    I'm trying to find an old article I wrote connecting certain people and happenings with changes in DF policy.

I have been researching, using a lot of the old threads and I saved these comments of your's, Terry. I'm sorry I didn't note which thread they were on, but maybe they are the comments you are looking for?

*******************************************************************************************************************

In 1942, Rutherford was replaced by Nathan Knorr as the Society's leader.

According to Covington, it was himself who "had the votes" to become the President. But Knorr had "connived" him out of it.

An immediate clash of personalities resulted......at first UNKNOWN to Covington! Only gradually did the opposition become clear. In an interview years later, Covington refered to Knorr as "sneaky" and a "cobra" and called into question Knorr's courage because of witnessing him back down from altercations with Catholics in a public forum.

Knorr did not want Covington as his Vice-President. Rutherford insisted on his death bed that Covington be appointed. Knorr was poorly educated and Covington considered him ignorant.

Knor was rankled by Covington's superior education and attempts to influence Society policy through intimidation. Consequently, Knorr engineered a change in policy to exclude non-anointed person's (other sheep) from serving as a governing body member. By 1945, Covington was forced out.

A public relations spin was offered that Covington had "graciously declined to serve" in view of the new policy. Everyone who ever met Covington knew he NEVER backed down or withdrew!

Knorr's champion and fellow conscriptor, Fred Franz, created the new policy in order to install Franz in place of Covington.

Covington was retained as legal representative, however, attaining Supreme Court case wins in 80% of the lawsuits filed.

Knorr considered Covington's irrepressible ego to be a direct result of "higher education" and a superior attitude.

Knorr and Franz braced themselves.How could either one of them win a battle with Covington in the court of public opinion, in an actual lawsuit or otherwise? Covington ws brilliant!

Only one avenue of approach remained, where the "high ground" would be created to virtually demand all JW's worldwide to ostrasize Covington (or any other clever antagonists who challenged their authority) for Apostacy, if they could engineer grounds for disfellowshipping!

Consequently, the sudden stiffening of penalty and harshness of attitude immediately began to set the stage for an arsenal against any (even Covington) who dared take on the Governing Body!

In the above speculation, I am saying that the disfellowship policy was emboldened in reaction to percieved internal enemies, and once in place, grew stronger or weaker as threats came and went over the years.

An emerging through-line becomes apparent that tells us Politics of an Internal nature and NOT holy spirit, prayer or channelling were behind many of the most impactful policy changes affecting millions of faithful Witnesses around the world.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Terry - "An emerging through-line becomes apparent that tells us Politics of an Internal nature and NOT holy spirit, prayer or channelling were behind many of the most impactful policy changes affecting millions of faithful Witnesses around the world."

It's getting harder and harder to discipline myself not to hate these men.

• sd-7
    sd-7
    It's getting harder and harder to discipline myself not to hate these men.

Especially after they recognize our humanity in this year's convention talk, "Human Apostates". I mean, how loving, how Christlike, is the faithful and discreet slave? Are not our hearts moved with deep appreciation for how much they truly love us, seeing us as human beings and not as dirt beneath their feet as the Pharisees might? How refreshing it is to know that these men care so much about our spiritual well-being that they have the courage and faith to discipline God's people!

--sd-7

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

vidiot: they needed to believe to maintain their unity; if we'd been given everything 100% accurate all at once, we wouldn't have been able to handle it"

---

Yeah, I've heard the "we can't handle the truth" explanation more times than I can recount. It's absurd, because believing a truth takes no more effort than believing a lie. The negative effects of a lie must eventually be undone (usually after incalculable damage has been done while the lie was promulgated) but truth requires no modifications. It is what it is, simple as that.

The Douglas Walsh trial clearly proved that "unity at all costs" is the WTs prime directive.

WT philosophy: we all have to be wrong together. Period.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    AndDontCallMeShirley - "I've heard the "we can't handle the truth" explanation more times than I can recount. It's absurd, because believing a truth takes no more effort than believing a lie."

Oh, I don't know.

I think some of us sometimes forget that until we'd reached the point where we voluntarily took the red pill, a lot of us XJWs wouldn't have been able to handle TTATT.

Example: I was still active when a chance bit of info I read forced me to come to the conclusion that evolution was factual, and that therefore, the Genesis creation account could not have been literal history. Rest assured, it was not a comfortable place to be, because I already understood the huge problems it potentially caused the Adamic Sin/Ransom-related aspects of WT theology.

I barely handled it at the time; literally lost sleep over it, in fact, and it was many years before I finally worked up the nerve to lurk here, and finally post.

I think it's more about acceptance of an uncomfortable truth than it is about belief. Acceptance is far harder, in my experience.

• talesin
    talesin

Thanks, Terry. It was good to read the progression of this policy.

Personal note: My DF took place in 1978 - three years before the 1981 change, but funny thing .... it was because I told them I didn't believe anymore, and I refused to 'come back'. I had done a quick fade over 2 years prior. My 'offense' was one that happened over 3 years before they called me to a JC, and at the time, was something they only 'reproved' people for. I guess the 'apostacy' DF'ing started in earnest after 1981, but I was an early victim. Maybe because of my family ...

tal

*shrug*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit