Something the WT will never admit regarding jw.org

by Richard_I 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Richard_I
    Richard_I

We all know how much the JWs higher education and how they look down on those getting a post-secondary diploma or degree. But think about all the work needed to make jw.org:

• web programmers
    • database programmers
    • network programmers
    • general IT (administration, maintenance, etc.)
    • systems technicians

etc. All those kinds of positions really need post-secondary education, often a Bachelor's degree in computer science. JW.org was created by people with degrees. It simply would not exist without people who have post-secondary diplomas and degrees.

So when people talk about how "amazing" jw.org is, think about how much education is required to create and maintain the Web site and then think about how often the WT badmouths people with degrees or the pursuing of higher education.

Doublespeak and hypocrisy at its best.

• Laika
    Laika

Are you sure about that Richard? Lots of people without degrees design websites. This website is pretty good, does Simon have a degree in computer science?

It's possible, but I don't think definitely true that the creators of JW.org have degrees.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It's a pretty good website technically these days.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I was a programmer/systems analyst with no degree. They probably try and get those who either obtained higher education before becoming dubs, or those who gained experience in a previous job. They could also choose those who have an aptitude and give them specific training in that particular area. There was an experience of someone from Bethel here recently, he worked in that department at Bethel. I can't remember what education he had, but he did not have a degree, just an aptitude, and some experience.

Many web sites these days are done without any programming at all, although not any as complex as JW.org. I had a website for my business for several years, my web provider had several templates to choose from, they help you get your URL, and you are good to go, the template has pages already set up with graphics, shopping cart technology, etc. They have all kinds of different pages that you can choose to use or not depending on your needs. You fill in the info you want, text, pictures, etc, it's no more difficult that setting up a word document. And it was only 12.95 a month. I just did one for my HOA, the management company wanted $200 per month to do out.

• SadElder
    SadElder

The public website is only part of the picture. They use the web for much more these days, witness the advent of elder correspondence and reporting via the site.

I know of one dub who has been quite influential in some of this. Haniph Latchman, a professor at the University of Florida. There has been some discusssion about him on this site previously.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Call Mark Haaman at Wallkill, or Jason Spahr. All computer departments have been transitioning up there, I think IT is the only computer based department left in BK. Overseer is John Ekrann. Ask them how many KEY people have degrees in their Computer departments.

Legal dept. Call Mario Moreno.

Hospital Information Services. Call Trent Lawler

Writing department. Call Gene Smalley

etc.

Any Jehovah Witness who thinks the society is full of High School graduates with Holy Spirit have names and departments to call to see how many bethelites are college and university trained within those departments. The list goes on. But start here and be suprised at the hypocrisy. There are many with legal, medical, engineering, english, computer etc. degrees who are key in all functional departments.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Even the new world translation is possible only because of Fred Franz university studied Hebrew or whatever. Lol. Holy Spirit dont got nothing on worldy education. Except with Oholiab in the Bible I guess.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

They probably subed out the design and once it went live, had someone in-house trained to manage it.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Yeah IT people do not generally need degrees. But look at the team of lawyers the WT has, also the Doctors at Bethel, the Engineers, etc. etc. Truly hypocritical to say the least.

• Simon
    Simon

You don't need a computer science degree to do IT. Computer science has it's place and it's good to learn theory but as an industry, what you learn is often out of date even while it's being taught. Practical hands-on ability can be learnt at home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit