Shepherding #1

by Amazing 13 Replies latest jw friends

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Amazing,

Thank you for sharing this experience.

I am also the child of an alcoholic, and a JW, to boot. To list all the resultant maladys that came from such an upbringing is a book in itself.

I remember the first time I was shown the list of characteristics of ACoA's, it was like having the wind knocked out of me. I just couldn't believe that there were "others". I went to ACA meetings for a while and found that they helped me begin to heal. However, I'm not John Bradshaw fan. Yet, I know that he has helped many.

Even though as elders you and your partner were not "trained" to council this woman, the geniune love and concern shines brightly in the words so gently expressed to her. Those type of gestures in themselves can, and seems to be in this instance, of great comfort.

Look forward to number 2.

Andee

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi All: The ACOA topic became very close to me while I was still a JW Elder. To the Watchtower's credit, they published a number of articles about alcoholism during that time, and they were good. The advantage this gave me was to start a JW-styled AA group ... and the other Elders and Co at the time were supportive ... I will try to include this AA group in one of the "Shepherding" series. Thanks for the good feedback.

• Imbue
    Imbue

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of John Bradshaw. He is just someone that I've learned from. I read many other opinions as well. I just thought Amazing would connect with him because they both have been affected by similar experiences.

Crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• crownboy
    crownboy

Great post as usual, Amazing. You are an excellent writer.

All the sheparding visits my family have had (about 5 in my 20 years), have consisted of the elders considering Psalms 73, and then the elders applauding us for being "spiritually strong", i.e. regular in service (except for the last visit, where I was counselled for my irregularity in service, especially given the fact that I was always such a "fine example" of a young person in the congregation who "puts Jehovah first" [8>]). After the second visit went almost like the first, I would jokinly tell my parents we were going to get the "psalms 73 talk", which of course we did. Was this taught at elder school or something ?

Happy that both you and the woman (who hopefully today is "borgfree") benefitted so much from your visit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit