What do you think of I-MAC?

by zombie 12 Replies latest jw friends

• zombie
    zombie

I am thinking of getting a new computer. I have an HP pc right now and thinking of switching to MAC. I saw the i-mac and fell in love with it --- its bucks but it does a ton of stuff. I like the new bubble with the flat monitor. The one I want will copy dvds, cds and of course does the i-movie and video editing.

It will mean learning a whole new system though. What do you all think?

• Xander
    Xander

It will also mean throwing out all of your current software.

There is, of course, the option of networking the two, but....uhhh....why get an iMac? Just aesthetics? If so, you can easily find PC LCDs. The 'bubble' case is a little odd, but there are some pretty spiffy PC cases, too. The 'beige box' that used to mean 'PC' is rather passe nowadays.

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• rhett
    rhett

Ugh, buying a computer because of the way it looks on the outside is like buying a piece of crap car because you wanted a red convertable. You pay more and you may very well get a piece of crap in the process. Not only that but trying to find a shop that will work on a Mac is considerably harder than paying the kid down the street $20 to come fix your Windows box when it has problems.

• Princess
    Princess

I bought an iMac a few years ago about a year after they started making them. I loved it! Then in January of 2000 I discovered that my Quickbooks for the Mac was not Y2K compatible (every time I typed in the year as 2000 it crashed) but they didn't update Quickbooks for Mac anymore. It now belongs to my five year old who loves playing his games on it. He hates that more than half the games he wants only work with windows.

I wouldn't buy it. Looks really cool but you will hate that nothing you want works with it.

Princess

• AlanF
    AlanF

Talking about Macs versus PCs is like talking about religion -- people have lots of strong views but you have to do some digging to get at what's real.

An IMac these days appears to me to be a great investment. It runs the new Mac OS-10 operating system, which is Unix based (so you get rock-solid stability) but gives you a typically great Mac GUI. You can also run Unix directly. If you want to run Windows software, it's no problem -- just buy a software package that emulates Windows. My wife recently bought an IBook and loves it.

I use a PC that I keep reinventing from newer parts as they come along, because I like tinkering with the hardware. I run Win98 and will go to XP when I get up enough gumption to install it. I think the Mac GUI is WAY better than anything Microsoft has ever come up with. About the only reason I can see that one would need the maximum speed of a late-model PC is if you want the most from certain 3-D games, but the microprocessors and graphics cards are so fast these days that most people would never notice the difference. Likely when it's time to upgrade again, I'll opt for a Mac.

AlanF

• D8TA
    D8TA

Macs and I-Macs....I would of swore I saw those in a cemetary once...oh wait, those were tombstones.

D8TA

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

I mac, you mac, everybody's a freakin playa these days. Yo, wasup wit dat yo!?

• chezza
    chezza

Hi, in my house my boyfriend has a mac, a cube in fact, i love it, i have a pc, i hate it, pc keeps crashing, needs reformatting, the mac is as stable as stable can be, and who can argue with the interface, and there are so many applications coming out for the osx now, but the real clincher on the new imac is the dvd burner, imagine the possibilites of all the home movies you can burn onto dvd, if i had a few thousand spare that would be the computer i would buy.

• Liquidizer
    Liquidizer

Well, it largely depends on the way you use a computer. Both the Macs and PCs have their good and bad sides. In my country the biggest obstacle for the Macs is their terrible pricing. They are almost 30-40% more expensive than an average PC, especially if the programs are included. Technically I think the Macs are ok.

L.

This is the noise that keeps me awake
    My head explodes
    And my body aches

-Garbage

• zombie
    zombie

Not buying it for looks, because if I was I'd just do like you said and buy a flat screen.

I like the conciseness of it, very compact, less intrusive. The sound system is awesome! But it has a really program to make movies. The i-movie. I have a baby and a digital camcorder, so I want to be able to edit and send copies to my parents. You can make the i-book and that's pretty neat. I have also heard of the reliability of the MAC system. My computer has crashed so many times that now I have no software on it and just running my HP with its original software. I rely on my puter at work to use other software.

Lately, with my HP, everytime I install my Palm software to interface with my handheld device, it junks up my Outlook.

So, I went to an Apple store and played some of the games, surfed the net and hung out. I think I can get similar software. I am not a gamer, the stuff it comes with is fine for me. I basically am a web surfer, emailer, visit some dbs and want to get into picture editing and editing my videos.

(copying cds and dvds and making my own would be super fun, too)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit