Another computer topic

by rhett 31 Replies latest jw friends

• spender
    spender

You only have to pay for it if you want it in a box with a manual and everything. Nothing's stopping you from burning the cds yourself, or even going to www.cheapbytes.com and buying cds with it on it for like 5 bucks if you don't wanna download off your 56k.

• Xander
    Xander

Right, misread their site....they want you to join some kind of 'club' that DOES cost money to download the software. The two options are "Yes, let me join the club" or "I'm already a member or plan to join soon".

So, if I felt like being dishonest, I certainly COULD download it for free, but....

(well, no 'but' really, I mean, I had no problem with napster, so...)

going to www.cheapbytes.com and buying cds with it on it for like 5 bucks

Never even heard of them before...looking around. Hmmm....only has version 7.x available.

if you don't wanna download off your 56k.

Don't WANNA?? C'mon - 3 CDs?? That'd take, like, ALL WEEK...(well, 111 hours, actually).

EDIT: IOW, if I decide to give it another try, I think the version 8.0 of Mandrake I already have will do fine, thank you very much...

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• spender
    spender

are you sure? I just went there. it's got 8.2 to buy right at the top of the main page (once you click "enter site")

• Xander
    Xander

Alright, alright, was looking at the list under it....

Xander F

--George Santayana

• rhett
    rhett

So, it does look like I'm one of the only ones here that has more RAM than processing power. Cool!
    Hey Farkel, I don't think Spender is being an arrogant asshole at all. The guy knows his stuff (quite well from what I've read) and he doesn't try to hide it away. What's so arrogant about that? If this thread was on something that I'm as good at as Spender is Linux then you can bet I'd be the same as he is here.
    Xander, Spender, keep it up. I think this discussion is quite healthy and good.
    As for my opinions, for really high end stuff I think unix/linux is definitely the way to go. As for desktop machines, you can't pry me away from my Win2k box. That plus since the site I host with it doesn't get much traffic (I'm hosting it over my cable modem and have no bandwidth problems if that gives you any idea) it does everything I want it to and as the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

Actually, if your a corp looking for good server security assistance with Linux, Spender would probably be your man...and it's good somebody's giving Billy Boy Gates a run for his money...Windoze needs some competition, AFAIC.

• spender
    spender

Yea, if anyone does use Linux for their company or whatever and have any questions, feel free to ask me them. I don't mind helping out at all!

• SYN
    SYN

Thought I've never see it here, but it's happened - the first JW.COM Linux vs. Windows thread. OOOH BOY. Old timers, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we're breaking new ground here. Soon this forum will be the haven of numerous threads with names like "Why PS2 SUX0Rz!!!!!!" and "I LIEK COUNTERSTRIEK" and so forth, followed by the inevitable "WINDOZZZZ IS FO FAAGGARTS!!! ROLOL!"

JUST KIDDING OK!

Linux is nice, but the desktop is way behind Dows in terms of sheer integration and user-friendliness. I know, I've been using Win2K for nearly 2 years now, and it's lovely...it goes for 3 weeks without reboots at times, and it crashes only inside driver code, which is not the OSs fault, so the OS itself is pretty much OK. XP is just W2K with a few enhancements and a TON of extra graphics, the usefulness of which is up for debate.

Just thought I'd add my 0.02$ etc.

Seven006: "Have you tried drugs? Shooting up a little heroin might do the trick, it's hard to type when your stoned out of your mind. I don't know how TR does it!"

• Simon
    Simon

I too have a 500Mhz PC with 512Mb ... nothing special but it only cost me £279 for the PC plus about £40 for the memory upgrade. It's not cuting edge 9certainly not for games) but it's fine for developing software - I'm a firm believer that having a slower PC makes you optimise your code better.

Re: the Linux / Windows thing - I'm sure you know what side I'd be on.

I use Windows on the Desktop and Server and find it great. The argument that "I can modify my OS ... if I want" is one I hear a lot about Linux but I wonder how many people ever actually DO?

If you are comparing mySQL with MS SQL Server it's important to remember that while mySQL is a good product for the price, it does not do everything that SQL Server does ... little things like locking for instance (although I may be out of date on this).

.Net rulez ... viva la Microsofties ...

(ducking head and running for cover)

• Xander
    Xander

I LIEK COUNTERSTRIEK

LOL @ SYN....

Hehe....QUAEK Sux0R5

I think I like you....

Xander F

--George Santayana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit