Question about Bible Translations

by spender 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• spender
    spender

I've been looking for the past couple of days for a study bible with relatively un-biased commentary, and an accurate translation. I'd also like to get the strongs concordance...is this a good idea?

Any opinions on bible translations you particularly like and why are appreciated. If you have a study bible yourself, you can talk about that too...from what I've seen though, the study bibles seem biased to certain religious faiths...I hope that's not the case for all of them...maybe there's one I haven't seen yet that a collection of scholars comment on?

Thanks everyone for your help!

• dungbeetle
  • LucidSky
    LucidSky

One of my favorites is the New American Standard. It also shows alternative renderings for certain words. Also if the study material is for research rather just reading, you might want to consider some CD-ROM versions that are typically cheaper and more powerful.

Spender, did you say you were in the Lewisberry area? Is that near Harrisburg? I used to live not too far from there.

"If you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'll just have to stop doing stupid things." - H. Simpson
  • spender
    spender

lewisburg...i think harrisburg is an hour away from here, not quite sure though.

• Moxy
    Moxy

i will pass on the suggestion of ginnytosken, who i consider one of the most intelligent denizens of j-w.com. she says The New Oxford Annotated Bible is one of most valuable books she has ever owned. it is a fully commented RSV, including apocrypha. i havent obtained one yet as shes suggested i do, but i have looked at it and it looks like an excellent resource if serious scholarly study is what you are looking for.

mox

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

There's a whole lot of questions you need to ask, such as do you prefer a version based on the Byzantine or Alexandrian texts, or even on the vulgate? Do you prefer a literal translation or dynamic equivalent? Do you like alternative renderings in footnotes? Do you want a study Bible with all sorts of explanatory notes on the page?

• spender
    spender

I'm not sure I want one with apocrypha...aren't those the like ecclesiasticus and such books? the NIV study bible looks pretty good to me...i'll take another look at all of them. (still reading those other posts about the bible too)

• teejay
    teejay

As I was exiting the Organization, I bought the NIV Life Application Bible. I haven’t had much need for it recently, but at the time I thought it was excellent. Here’s a link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0842348921/

• spender
    spender

ok i think i've decided...here's the whole list (totals to 50 bucks)

NIV study bible
    Strongs exhaustive concordance
    Gentile Times Reconsidered
    In Search of Christian Freedom

COC came in today but the mailroom was closed, so I'll have to wait till monday to pick it up :( I was looking forward to reading it this weekend too...

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

The trouble with Strong's is that it's keyed to the KJV. The NIV is a reasonable choice, though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit