Now that I am out, which bible should i read? Feeling free at last!

by Freethinking76 40 Replies latest jw friends

• donny
    donny

I too would heed the advice of Elder-Schmelder. When I left the Witnesses I too just assumed the Bible was correct and the Winesses just had the wrong interpretation of it. I eventually realized that all of these so called "words of God" were just the writings and musings of Bronze aged men who were trying to keep folks under some kind of law and order. When you can't physically police them all, just make up a sky daddy who can see, hear everything as well as read your heart and mind. It was a pretty convenient setup and it worked for a while.

• sherrie11
    sherrie11

Stay free!!

don't read any for a while.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68
    don't read any for a while.

Yeahhhhhhhhhh... why bovver? There's noffink in it!!!

heh heh heh

• jws
    jws

I thought the NIV was more readable. Funny, they always said that about the NWT being readable, but not so much. Some of the wording now seems clumsy and awkward. Perhaps by design to make some of the questionable verses harder to understand. Or maybe they're just following the syntactical rules of the ancient languages. I don't know, but liked the NIV.

biblegateway.com and biblehub.com are online resources. biblehub.com will show you several translations at once. Type in any verse and you'll see several versions of it in various bibles.

Like other posters have said, who's to say what is the best? The bible has evolved over time. There's a project - the Hebrew University Project - that is going to great detail to work on one bible book at a time and note how it evolved and changed. It not only includes typos, but changes in sentences and rewriting of whole sections. Sometimes prophecies have been added after the outcome was known.

It says the book of Daniel is now one seventh longer than the version of Daniel found in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

So, even with the Bible and the source texts, there are many different versions of ancient scrolls to choose from. And we have no original writings. So the task of having an accurate Bible becomes very difficult.

• abbasgreta
    abbasgreta

I love the Contemporary English Version, the NIV (Anglicised - clear and natural English) and the New Living Translation. I recommend simultaneous referral to a bible companion reference like Lyons - gives you all the meanings of the original languages where necessary, plus tons of background historical info, beliefs/customs pertinent to the time etc. - vital when studying the Holy Scriptures. I read my NLT like this in 3 weeks and appreciated the massive input in the Lyons Handbook from all the secular contributors. For all that, see 1 John 2:27. I wish you all joy in your study!

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

I got a layman's parallel bible from Amazon pretty cheap. I think it was only about $10. But I like that version because it has 4 different translations

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

I prefer the combination of HCSB (Holman Christian Bible), ESV (English Standard Version) and NET (New English Translation) Bibles (all those with extensive footnotes).

• Freethinking76
    Freethinking76

Yeah, I think I am taking a break, thanks for all the suggestions. Donny your so funny " sky daddy" lol

• smiddy
    smiddy

Freethinking76

Reading your OP and the responses to your question ,validates my point of veiw , that a person of faith beleives what they want to beleive , so whatever decision you make as to what translation you choose ,wont be because it is verified by proven facts ,it will simply be on a gut feeling ,in other words, you will beleive what you want to beleive......Have a good day.

smiddy

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

I would say the NIV - in my opinion it is the best.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit