Universal sovereignty, The Tower of Babel and witness tampering

by Simon 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon

The main premise of the bible is that Satan challenged Jehovahs authority and humans fell for the lie so God then gave man / Satan a chance to rule to "prove" that they needed him and couldn't do it themselves. This was for the benefit of the angels watching who are presumably easily swayed too.

Not really believable and some stunning gaps of logic but let's go with it for now.

What happened next in the bible? Well, man was doing pretty good. Everyone was getting along and joined forces to build a big tower.

Uh oh. God didn't like that. "Holy crap" he said, "those troublesome carbon things I threw together are all working in unison - I'm screwed! Quick, invent language and mix them all up a bit so they can't work together" (I paraphrased that, it's not the NWT version).

Next thing, we're all 'nationalities' and 'battles' and have been at each others throats ever more.

So how on earth does that tally with the premise of "the universal court-case to prove only Jah can rule" ? Isn't it tampering with witnesses or evidence? Would that fool anyone?

Never mind that we can trace language and see where it developed and how it evolved (and it wasn't instant and from there).

Who believes this stuff? How can you believe other things when core beliefs make so little sense?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Building that tower would thwart god's purpose when he flushes the toilet on the earth and leave some floaters that could survive, or perhaps they might build it 20 cubits higher than mount Everest and so god's septic system might not reach them. Instead they should have gotten a proper hint from their forfather Noah and built an ark way cheaper both in labor and materials(8 laborers, wood, and some tar will do the trick).

• Simon
    Simon

The other rediculous part of the story is how high they could build towers etc... back then.

Even the Greeks and Romans with far more advanced understanding of construction couldn't build something that 'reached up to heaven'.

Unless the writer was an ignorant sheep herder ...

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Unless the writer was an ignorant sheep herder ...

Perhaps they also lived on flat land with very few hills so that they thought heaven wasn't that high and just a bubble or dome that the stars and planets seem to float on to keep them from falling to the earth.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Simon:

The other rediculous part of the story

Really? "The other"? Is there any part that isn't ridiculous?

• Simon
    Simon

Ok, 'Another'

• jws
    jws

I've had a JW tell me that it was that man was congregating in one place when they should have been spreading out and multiplying.

This story is so lame. I don't know how anybody believes in this. It make no sense on so many levels.

"And Jehovah proceeded to go down to see the city and the tower that the sons of men had built". REALLY? God is supposed to see everything, read our thoughts, not only for one of us, but the whole 7 billion of us at once. Yet he has to "come down" to see the city? Another inconsistency I'd like to see explained. Is god all-knowing or not?

"After that Jehovah said: 'Look! They are one people and there is one language for them all, and this is what they start to do. Why, now there is nothing that they may have in mind to do that will be unattainable for them". REALLY? A bunch of bronze-age people learn how to build with brick and mortar and because of that, there is nothing that will be unattainable for them? And so god has to stop it by confusing their language.

What would god say about the towers in Kuala Lampur? Why didn't he stop work on those? We've gone into space. We've landed on the moon, landed robots on Mars, and have sent probes into the solar system. And this is what worries god? He's a little worried man is getting a little bit too powerful because he's building a large tower??? Which we know could never reach to the mythical "heavens". Hell, try to see them build in 0 atmosphere. They didn't have oxygen masks back then to breath.

So god's best solution is to mess up their languages. OK. Like the previous poster said, that's not where languages came from, but let's suspend disbelief for a second. So they decide, because they can't talk to each other to disperse? Why? This would make sense to a child, but think about it. I'm gonna leave my home because I can't communicate with my neighbor so I can go to some corner of the earth where nobody even lives? And what about people who can learn each other's language. I'm sure it wouldn't take long to learn things like "put brick here".

If this were a movie, it would be a lame plot device full of holes.

If it is a case of universal sovreignty, God should stay out of it and not meddle at all. Yet he keeps helping the Israelites, sending his son, sending prophets, punishing people, etc. If it's really up to Satan to show, "here's how things should be", then god should stay out. Another logic flaw for Christians.

• Simon
    Simon

The Bible: Worst movie script writing ever.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Well, you are all imperfect humans. How do you expect to make logical sense of the doings of an infinitely more intelligent being?

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

It's crazy.

Adam & Eve do their thing, God throws them out of Eden and says "you're on your own, see if you can survive without me, you'll come running back, also you're gonna be soooo dead... etc".

Then proceeds to interfere relentlessly, drowns everybody, confuses their languages, picks favourites, starts all the strife in the middle east, basically plays age of empires for 4000 years, sends Jesus and then disappears for 2000 years.

Then Jesus pops back invisibly in 1914 for a snap inspection and chooses Joe Rutherford and his mates to be his BFF.

You really do have to wonder how we believed this!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit