Post 6: My brother turns on me now - Possible Legal advice

by sosoconfused 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi sosoconfused, Did your brother ever hear of that NAACP slogan 'A mind is a terrible thing to waste"?

I'm sorry that you are experiencing the cult persona of your family members. It only validates how strong the WTBTS's BITE control is for your brother to put his family in financial jeopardy because you decided not to believe that the WTBTS represents God.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

P.S. - I'm glad that your wife loves you unconditionally and uses her brain, unlike your mother and brother.

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

Thanks Abible - I do feel bad because he has no other job... A wife and a kid. I am sure something will come along and they will say it was a gift from Jehovah.

If not he is just screwed

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

Well he called you an apostate in the letter which by WT terms is the worst kind of person in the world to ever be so yes! He used a pejorative word against you

That is defamatory.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Why does he say he cant talk to you? Do you not speak to him?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Fire him and get some real quality people. You have to make business decisions with your mind, not with your heart. You will find better workers especially in this economy. If any of your other employees are slacking off because you decided not to be a JW anymore, do the same, fire & hire.

This forum is the wrong place to seek legal advice. You have not stated enough facts to support the giving of advice to you by any competent lawyer. Nevertheless, before you jump into the pool, know the temperature of the water. Litigation is a very costly means of resolving this problem. Even if you are successful and obtain a judgment, you will likely spend as much as $50,000 to get there. There are a lot of negative aspects to litigating with a family member. Among other things, you can expect that all of your family secrets may be exposed to the public. Got caught jerking off by your brother? etc.

If you get a judgment, what are you going to do with it? Do you have the stomach to enforce it via the filing of a lien against your brother's property?

Think very carefully before you jump into suing your brother. There are other ways to deal with this. For example:

Let him know that if he doesn't stop trashing you to your employees, that you will bring this matter to the attention of the elders (ie., turn him in for gossip and slander).

If that doesn't work, carry out the threat. When you speak to the elders, tell them you want it resolved or else you will take legal action against both your brother and the local congregation. That will get their attention.

If all else fails, and he really is hurting your business enough to make paying the lawyers worth it, then sue him!

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

@coma - He is important. He is the COBE / CITY OVERSEER / HOSPITAL LIASON / RBC / Always on District assembly etc...

He is simply to bust to care about what anyone does except himself for the last 15 years or so. We do not have a good relationship because he is a doucebag that really in under the impression that he is important.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I'd reply, Dear Brother, I really don't know what all you refer to, however I wish you the best of luck in whatever new paths you choose to take. I know because you are indeed SO principled that I need not worry of you trying to do me & my business professional harm by [yada yada yada]. Should your new plans not work out for you, there will always be a place for you here -- you're family -- NOTHING should interfere with that.

Love ya dude,

SOSO

• Comatose
    Comatose

Oh i get that. I could see from his letter he comes off that way. But, he said:

However, it pains me greatly that in the situation that you're dealing with, we are unable to talk.

I have no idea what I have done or potentially could do that would prevent us from discussing this issue. If I have done something, past, present or future that stifles our open communication, I apologize and would appreciate discussing it. I hope that sometime in the future we will.

So I just wondered if he means he cant talk to you about business or is he meaining your religious situation?
  • nugget
    nugget

What does his contract of employment say? Does he have to work a period of notice? How important is he in the business and how easy is he to replace? If he has breached those he may be subject to penalties.

It sounds as if he is being pressured by your mother to take this stand. He is taking the path of least resistance and whilst he says he loves you unconditionally the fact that he is resigning shows very clearly that there are conditions on his affection.

A typical knee jerk response and it carries the threat that although he will do nothing for now, things may change in future. I would seek legal advice but witnesses are a self righteous bunch and love to gossip. Some may be able to justify working for an apostate but once they start putting pressure on them they will crumble. Start looking at how exposed you would be if every witness you employ resigns. Hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit