Accused of thinking too much

by biometrics 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• HarryMac
    HarryMac
    And that is when I knew I was really and truly on my own.

Hahaha, awesome!

I know the feeling... I remember an elder giving a talk and asking about doubts, etc... I don't remember the details but my stomach sank by the end of this thought.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Pass the soma please

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

When I was young I was told by an old Bro in the Congo I was in at the time:

"The WT doesn't like you to ask awkward questions ".

I asked him for an example and he went to a WT Bound Volume and showed me a QFR that basically questioned the WT view on the Flood story if I recall, he said "Read the answer". I did, and had to agree that all it really said was "Don't ask awkward questions".

I have realised since that the old boy was trying to get me to see that the WT was not what it claimed to be, he left three or four years later.

Certainly, if you begin to exercise any kind of Critical Thinking skills this is "too much" for the WT teaching to bear, they have to stop you at all costs.

Hence the fear of Higher Education, my eldest said that as soon as he got to Uni they taught him to question everything, "why is this so? , what proof is there ?

are there alternative views or explanations ?" etc etc.

Don't start thinking you Jehovah's Witnesses ! and Heaven forfend you should ever "examine the Scriptures to see of these things are really so".

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Thinking too much had mixed blessings for me. A long, long time ago my athletic trainer told me I think too much. I must shut up and do what he told me to do. For thinking too much I came in the "Truth," and for thinking too much I was kicked out of the "Truth." So, thinking too much can have consequences, good or bad.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I was told that I 'look too deeply into things.' Ironic. Whatever happened to the 'deep things of Jehovah(TM)?'

I agree as stated before this is the 'thought control' in the B.I.T.E. method.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

As a teenager I was told by my parents 'You think too much' when I had difficult question about the 'truth'.

Now they are asking difficult questions about it & trying to deal with the fact that it is NOT the 'truth' & never has been.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Funny comment, I have been accused of the same thing. Perhaps it is those demons flying through your head that is stimulating your neurons.

• donny
    donny

What they are really telling you is that if you continue to think in rational terms, you will realize that the truth is not so truthful after all.

• Room 215
    Room 215

It's a corollary to the other label often pinned on awakening thinkers: "You're too smart for your own good."

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

OP: The brother even went on to say "could you imagine what the Witness Organisation [would be like] if everyone was thinking independently like you do"?

Wouldn't I have to think to imagine that?

Brother, didn't YOU have to think to imagine that?

Seriously, the JW groupthink mindset is really scary!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit