Casual sexism in Watchtower literature

by slimboyfat 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

Julia

My JW friend just watched Cedars' clip and said Lett's gestures are like Hitler's. So true!

As you probably figured, I used stills of Lett giving a previous talk for the video because I only had the audio for the talk in question, but I can safely say that whatever stills I used were representative of how he would have spoken those same words. The guy has a VERY unusual way of expressing himself with overly theatrical facial expressions. The first time I saw him I actually thought he was being patronizing to his audience by talking to them as though they were children, but now I'm leaning towards the theory that he speaks so simplistically because that is his level.

Virgochik

This Lett guy's really wierd and I can't picture allowing him to tell me what to do. I may be a female, but I have a brain! Amazing they actually get today's educated, career women to get baptized.

I don't blame you for not going. It's a soul-crushing experience to sit through a meeting when intellectually and emotionally you've moved on. Of course, it's not in every meeting that they say sexist stuff, but as an organization they have very backwards views on women. You're better off giving them a wide berth if you can help it!

Cedars

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Hey Cedars, my friend who said that knows so much about violent personalities because her father was violent and so is her ex husband. Seeing Lett freaked her out (she has PTSD from what she endured in her marriage) and she said finger pointing leads to hitting and she saw latent violence in that man. I don't know Mr Lett at all, but I trust my friend's judgement. Maybe Mr Lett never hit anyone in his life, but there's something there that awoke her terror.

• HarryMac
    HarryMac

@ LisaRose: So true. Watching some brothers organize for some sisters certainly was an embarrassment for this brother. My wife also experienced the same disconnect between work and the witness world. Even as a believer I felt her frustration that at the KH she was just a woman.

@Julia: I'm a but uncomfortable with images of hairy eyeballs on your tackle.... but again... you've made me smirk ... so all is forgiven.

It really is complete crap the way woman are viewed in the organization. The height of it is not being able to even look at us directly when giving a talk (instead having to do a mini-play with another sister.... completely ubsurd!). Or ... wear a tea-towel over the head... seriously!!??... are we?... uugghh!

And we still suffer, it's been years and my wife still has to be careful not to overreact to anything that looks like this kind of chauvenism.

Up yours WTBS! Up yours.

• Julia Orwell
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

cantleave:

Yes, the religion seems to like the 1950s era because it was before women's liberation (which they hate) and women were stay-at-home moms and few worked outside the home. If they did, they were nurses or schoolteachers for the most part.

While the suggestions mentioned can sound offensive to the average educated person, I suppose it might keep a JW from being tongue-tied when at a door and not knowing what to talk about when the householder answers.

If a brother gets a female householder who is very educated or politically active (LOL) he will have to adjust his presentation during the conversation.

I am glad I am seeing this as somebody on the outside looking in. I no longer have tolerance for the religion's old-fashioned, sexist mindset (among other things) and would find it hard to even be polite to them.

• wasblind
    wasblind

If a brother gets a female householder who is very educated or politically active (LOL) he will have to adjust his presentation during the conversation. ____Longhairgal

Brother : Do you agree that wives should be in submission to their mates, and allow his decision to be final

Householder :

Brother : Would you agree that the woman is the wearker vessel ?

Householder :

Brother : Do you know there's only three places women should be

Householder :

Brother : It's the kitchen , the bedroom, and in the fultime ministry

Householder :

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Julia Orwell - "My JW friend just watched Cedars' clip and said Lett's gestures are like Hitler's."

Oh, shit; seriously???

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Check it out. Skip to 1:45 in Hitler's speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGhdX1SI3KY&bpctr=1373011529

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Juia Orwell - "Check it out. Skip to 1:45 in Hitler's speech..."

Okay, I can see it.

Gosh, Lett's an expressive guy; he's like a Mr. Rogers / Pat Robertson mashup (and ol' Adolf gets a commendation for use of gestures and notes ).

• blondie
    blondie

I have noticed all my life...especially in their pictures of women.

Rarely in slacks even casual activities and housework, dishes.

Long hair

Long skirts

High heels in service

Dresses on a picnic

men fix cars, women cook

Also,

fathers mostly with sons

daughters with mothers

BTW the WTS interprets vicissitudes being the weakness of having mensturation.

*** w70 11/15 p. 676 What It Means to Be Kind ***

Kindness should begin within the family circle. And it means many things there. For example, it means for the husband to dwell with his wife “according to knowledge,” taking into account her vicissitudes. (1 Pet. 3:7) Wives can show kindness by not being critical of their husbands and not bothering them with petty aggravations. Fathers can show kindness by spending time with their children both for instruction and recreation and not irritating them needlessly. (Eph. 6:4) Children can show kindness by expressing appreciation for all that their parents do for them. This can be done not only by words but by being helpful around the home, keeping their own rooms neat, helping mother with the dishes and suchlike chores.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit