How much money did you give the Watchtower?

by Emery 31 Replies latest jw friends

• TheNurseInBlack
    TheNurseInBlack

Odd they bring down Catholics and Christians when their churches as for money. But do the exact same thing.

• Scully
    Scully

I once calculated the value of non-monetary donations, using a very scant minimum wage to account for time spent going Door-to-Door™, travelling to and from Meetings™ and in Field Service™, Personal Study™, Family Study™, and Meeting Attendance™.

Then I estimated cost of fuel spent in getting to and from Meetings™, driving around in Field Service™ and picking up and dropping off extra people for every damn Meeting™ (without so much as a 'Thank you', btw).

On top of that, there were wardrobe expenses - Meetings™-and-Field-Service™-only dresses and suits and shoes, coats (winter, spring, fall) and boots.

Then there was travel to Circuit Assemblies™, District Conventions™ and Special Assembly Days™, and associated hotel expenses when we had to travel out of town.

It amounted to well over $10,000 per year for our family. And really, there wasn't anything left to put in the Contribution Box™. I had been riddled with guilt over that for many years until I sat down and did that calculation - and then all that guilt suddenly evaporated.

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

I might have gave 500.00 in the 40 years that I was an active Cult Member. I was a tight wad and Thank God for that. Jehovah needs to learn how to manage his money.

• sspo
    sspo

Approx. $$50 to 100 a month for 32 years.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Too much.

In the first year, I wasted around 200 toilet papers on littera-trash alone, back when you had to buy it. I also donated too much at a$$emblies, usually 50 toilet papers per a$$embly. And 32 toilet papers per month, kept up 7 months, on a pledge toward a new Kingdumb Hell that we did not need or deserve. And, once I bought a room air conditioner--and there was 200 toilet papers stashed in the instructions envelope inside it. I ended up having to throw that away, as it was "lost and found".

At least I never took out insurance policies with the washtowel as the beneficiary despite being hounded to do so. Why reward joke-hova for sealing out my chances with the opposite sex?

• Emery
    Emery

I was a tight wad and Thank God for that. Jehovah needs to learn how to manage his money. - Kojac

This made me LOL.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

I always thought that my time was more important than money, so didn't contribute.

I used to give cash, anonymously, to older sisters by slipping an envelope with cash into their Bibles.

• yesidid
    yesidid

Sadly, we donated thousands of dollars and many years of our lives in the so called "full time" work.

$0.00

As a kid, my dad sometimes gave me money to put in the contribution box. I faked putting it in, and kept the money for myself. I was never interested in giving money to an organization that made my childhood a living hell.

• speargrass55
    speargrass55

My mom who is currently retired keeps making heavy pledges with money she really doesnt have. I'm like whatever, don't tell me about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit