Why would you want to wake up before the 90s?

by John Aquila 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• CloseTheDoor
    CloseTheDoor

Pioneering in the 50, 60s was about idealism. The end of the world was near, Armageddon or not. did not even think about paradise. The HMS "wtBtS" has been re-named (no Champagne broken on the bow) "jWorg". the hot air of doctrine is at a lull, yet the ship is tacking vigorously as ever, now the crew are required to man the oars more vigorously or via pledged "contributions" fuel the hopeless voyage, with no destiny on the horizon. The sea of humanity was actually a better, natural place and still is.

Well said, prologos.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

I think the situation is cyclic... I believe that the late eighties / early nineties were part of one cycle; it was the high part....But then after 94/95, the low of the cycle came; the hope and excitement started to wane.

Question, is there any foreseeable UP cycle up ahead. It seems like the WT has finally run out of steam. The only thing I see that would give them a boost is another WW3 or some nukes destroying some cities or some biological catastrophe of immense proportions.

• CloseTheDoor
    CloseTheDoor
    A lot of Witnesses I have spoken to in my congregation and in the region have become numb to the "it's almost over", "here comes the new system" hype. But then there are others that think ISIS could be a herald to Armageddon. Most of the younger kids now have no care about it whatsoever. They're only interested in their JW.org logos on their ipads.
  • MrTheocratic
    MrTheocratic
    The gig is certainly up. And I think many realize it. You can tell by the lack of meeting attendance and zeal for the ministry. Those who are appearing to be zealous are in reality very depressed deep down. They have giving up so much where else can they go? So sad.
  • sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2
    As someone pointed out on another thread, the Adventist movement has had failed dates and predictions since the 1840s. They have over 18,000,000 followers present day. Don't think for a second JWs won't be there one day. All they have to do is figure out how other religions hung around and they'll do the same. To this day the seventh day adventist still use 1844 as an important date, even though it was originally a failed prophecy. That tells you the life 1914 will have.
  • steve2
    steve2

For years I have asked myself, "Where are the Witnesses?" There is truly nothing like the buzzed throngs going door-to-door in the early- to mid-1970s. Nothing. And local kingdom halls were absolutely packed back then.

When I do see them witnessing, they invariably consist of older sisters with the occasional middle-aged or older brother. The absence of younger ones door knocking is very conspicuous.

Oh, I've seen them well in the background at the occasional public venue with their literature stands or trolleys. But they do not stand out, being one of so many peddlers and, yes, the world simply passes them and the other peddlers by.

The only people gathering round the stands and trolleys are other JWs. Slim pickings indeed - and an easy way to count time, coffee in hand and ipad on standby.

I think the organization will survive the shenanigans around 1914 - as the Adventist movement survived the crashing failure of 1844. But the organization's growth heyday in the west is well and truly over. The pickings will be more plentiful in less developed parts of the world where desperation trumps the willingness to 'make sure of all things'.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

As someone pointed out on another thread, the Adventist movement has had failed dates and predictions since the 1840s. They have over 18,000,000 followers present day. Don't think for a second JWs won't be there one day.

I see a big difference though. The Adventist don't go door to door, they don't refuse blood, they don't disfellowship, they are not against Higher Education, and they are not adversarial with people concerning certain holidays and events like birthdays. That is why cults like the Adventist will continue.

But the Watchtower is against everything and everyone. "No part of the World"

The WT organization is hanging on a very thin thread of bread with birds pecking away.

• Magnum
    Magnum

John Aquila: Question, is there any foreseeable UP cycle up ahead. It seems like the WT has finally run out of steam. The only thing I see that would give them a boost is another WW3 or some nukes destroying some cities or some biological catastrophe of immense proportions.

When I mentioned the up/down cycles, I had that same question; I wondered whether there would ever be another up or high period after the letdown of the 1994 generation teaching failuire. It seems to me, too, that the steam has run out. I, too, think that the only thing that could give them a boost or excite them is some major world event.

------------------------------

I agree 100% with steve2's answer to his question "Where are the Witnesses?"

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think its become a bit more common knowledge from both inside the organization and outside that this organization was built upon pretentiously devised doctrines such as .. 1914 , 1975 the end times etc.

Its core operation was after all a publishing house, what was easy to sell and promote in the past is just not that easy anymore and for an organization that has been on the same focused plane of commercialization its becoming even harder.

• prologos
    prologos
    Why wake up, how woke up, 60, 70,?I) lost face in GB teachings, starting with "The Superior Authorities" re-reversal, downhill on doctrine, procedure,-- ever since, governance by Governing body and their buddies. A self-made withdrawal by a self made man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit