Did Jesus lie or just changed his mind?

by EdenOne 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

John 7:8-10

"Go up to the festival yourselves. I'm not going to this festival yet, because my time has not yet fully come." After he said these things, he stayed in Galilee. But after his brothers had gone up to the festival, then he also went up, not openly but secretly"

So...ummm... did Jesus told a petty lie, or did he change his mind?

Eden

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Neither, he did what he said he was going to do.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

how come?

• blondie
    blondie

That's one of the occasions the WTS says it is okay to lie, that they weren't "entitled" to the truth.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

The consumated example of "theocratic warfare"...?

Eden

• blondie
    blondie

jws can lie to people the WTS deems not entitled to the truth.

*** w92 12/15 p. 22 Why Is It So Easy to Lie? ***

A lie is defined as “1. a false statement or action, especially one made with intent to deceive . . . 2. anything that gives or is meant to give a false impression.” The intention is to cause others to believe something that the liar knows is not the truth. By lies or half-truths, he strives to deceive those who are entitled to know the truth.

*** w09 6/15 pp. 16-17 pars. 5-7 Speak Truth With Your Neighbor ***

5 Yet, what did Paul mean when he said that we should speak truth with our neighbor? Speaking truth involves sharing information that is factual, free from any deceit. True Christians do not twist or misrepresent the facts so as to mislead others. They “abhor what is wicked” and “cling to what is good.” (Rom. 12:9) In imitation of “the God of truth,” we should strive to be honest and forthright in all our dealings. (Ps. 15:1, 2; 31:5) By choosing our words carefully, even embarrassing or uncomfortable situations can be tactfully resolved without resorting to guile.—Read Colossians 3:9, 10.

6 Does being truthful with others mean that we must disclose every detail to whoever asks us a question? Not necessarily. While on earth, Jesus demonstrated that some people are undeserving of a direct answer or of certain information. When hypocritical religious leaders asked him by what power or authority he performed signs and miracles, Jesus said: “I will ask you one question. You answer me, and I will also tell you by what authority I do these things.” When the scribes and older men were unwilling to give an answer, Jesus said: “Neither am I telling you by what authority I do these things.” (Mark 11:27-33) He did not feel obligated to answer the question in view of their corrupt practices and faithless example. (Matt. 12:10-13; 23:27, 28) Similarly today, Jehovah’s people need to be on guard against apostates and other wicked men who use trickery or cunning for selfish purposes.—Matt. 10:16; Eph. 4:14.

7 Paul likewise indicated that some people may not be entitled to receive a full or complete answer. He said that “gossipers and meddlers in other people’s affairs” are “talking of things they ought not.” (1 Tim. 5:13) Yes, those who pry into the affairs of others or those who cannot be trusted to keep a confidence may find that others are reluctant to share personal information with them. How much better it is to heed Paul’s inspired counsel: “Make it your aim to live quietly and to mind your own business.” (1 Thess. 4:11) At times, however, congregation elders may need to ask questions about personal matters in order to carry out their assigned duties. In such a case, our cooperation in speaking truth is much appreciated and is a great help.—1 Pet. 5:2.

*** w07 2/1 p. 6 Why Be Truthful? ***

What Is a Lie?

Every lie is an untruth, but not every untruth is a lie. Why not? A dictionary defines a lie as “an assertion of something known or believed by the speaker to be untrue with intent to deceive.” Yes, lying includes the intention to deceive someone. Hence, to speak an untruth unwittingly—such as giving someone incorrect facts or figures by mistake—is not the same as to tell a lie.

Moreover, we need to consider whether the person asking for information is entitled to a comprehensive answer. For instance, suppose Manfred had been asked the same questions by an executive of another company. Would Manfred have been obliged to tell him everything? Not really. Since that executive had no right to such information, Manfred would have had no obligation to provide it. Of course, even in this case, it would have been wrong for him to tell a lie.

What example did Jesus Christ set in this regard? On one occasion, Jesus was conversing with some unbelievers who showed interest in his travel plans. “Pass on over from here and go into Judea,” they advised him. What was Jesus’ reply? “You go up to the festival [in Jerusalem]; I am not yet going up to this festival, because my due time has not yet fully come.” Shortly thereafter, Jesus did travel to Jerusalem for the festival. Why did he answer that way? They were not entitled to know the exact details of his whereabouts. So while Jesus did not utter an untruth, he gave them an incomplete answer in order to limit the possible harm they could do to him or to his followers.This was not a lie, for the apostle Peter wrote about Christ: “He committed no sin, nor was deception found in his mouth.”—John 7:1-13; 1 Peter 2:22.

*** w04 11/15 p. 28 “The Tent of the Upright Ones Will Flourish” ***

The faithful witness does not commit perjury when testifying. His testimony is not tainted with lies. However, this does not mean that he is under obligation to give full information to those who may want to bring harm to Jehovah’s people in some way. The patriarchs Abraham and Isaac withheld facts from some who did not worship Jehovah. (Genesis 12:10-19; 20:1-18; 26:1-10) Rahab of Jericho misdirected the king’s men. (Joshua 2:1-7) Jesus Christ himself refrained from divulging total information when doing so would have caused needless harm. (John 7:1-10) He said: “Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw your pearls before swine.” Why not? So that “they may never . . . turn around and rip you open.”—Matthew 7:6.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

"incomplete answer", huh ....? I wonder how that would work out in a JC ....

Eden

• sd-7
    sd-7

But he says he wasn't going to the festival yet. Not that he wasn't going to the festival at all. He just wanted them to go ahead of him because the Jews who wanted him dead would not expect him to be travelling apart from the disciples. Like sending your right-hand-man ahead as a distraction, while you slip in unnoticed. At least, that's what I get from reading the verse you quoted here.

--sd-7

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Jesus wanted to convey the impression that he wasn't going at all. He knew his brothers would give him away if he would tell them, so he kept them in the dark. That is ... clear.

Eden

• sd-7
    sd-7

Okay. Well, then, he tricked them into going up first, so he could sneak in. It's morally gray--yeah, he deceived them, then--but a shrewd, practical move, nonetheless, I would think. WT-style response: "He evidently reasoned, 'If an angel could fool wicked King Ahab, surely I, the Son of God, could withhold certain information from the disciples.' The end result--the doing of Jehovah's will--demonstrates that Jesus retained Jehovah's favor. Otherwise, would he not have remained dead, and not been resurrected to receive God's blessings?"

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit