Bizarre religious doctrines

by Solace 30 Replies latest jw friends

• rhett
    rhett

Back when I was in college I spent a lot of time in the University of Evansville dorms with one of my friends who went there and his roommater was from a town where amish people are the majority. Just for the record, amish can, in fact, have DC power but not AC (basically batteries are ok but not stuff that comes from the wall). What was really funny was he would talk about all the teenage amish kids. You know how you'll see the kids with big stereo systems with so much bass you can feel it a few blocks away? That comes from DC power. Apparently some of the kids from his town would put huge, loud, and fancy sound systems in their buggies. He said you'd here a low noise coming from far away at first and eventually it would get louder as their buggies would get closer.

• Solace
    Solace

Apostate man,
    A cult?
    Unfortunately, I think so too.
    No t.v. or internet. Obviously they are trying to keep somthing hidden from the members if they are not even allowed to listen to the radio. Even though I was once ignorantly defending the W.T.S, it still blows my mind how she is so trusting and willing to speak in behalf of this religion. She actually seems genuinely happy with her life so who am I to say anything. It will probably remain a non issue between us unless she starts seriously judging me. Now, that would be a different story all together.

Xander,
    We have Amish in our area also. They are basically quiet and keep to themselves. I wonder how they view us. We must seem so evil and materialistic to them. I must look like a total Jezabelle, wearing makeup and highlighting my blond hair.

rhett,
    No way!
    You have got to be kidding!
    I grew up in the Detroit area. I know all about those bass boomin' cars and trucks. Im picturing a buggy!! I am seriously laughing right now! That is so cool! I love it! Please tell me its true!!!!!!!

• Xander
    Xander

Heaven:

Not in our area (OH and PA), at least. DC power is out. CERTAINLY no speakers/sound systems/etc. (No, they don't use flashlight - candles will do, thanks). Note that, if they are working on site, and someone happens to have electric lighting, they won't make you turn it off or anything - they'll even be passengers in other people's cars, they just aren't allowed to own or operate one themselves (so, naturally, some businesses have sprung up shuttling amish from their homes to job sites - Amish craftsmanship is in high demand as they are VERY good craftsmen).

FYI, they do have some power tools in their shops after a fashion - they use air and hydraulic power.

(In case you're wondering - the hall we were in was Amish territory. I've been to LOTS of Amish houses. Even inside one, but not for the JWs - my wife had an Amish fellow do all our kitchen cabinents, so we visited his shop a couple times, and he obviously was at our house a few times.....BTW, this would be a good spot to point out they don't believe in using makeup OR DEODORANT.....OMG THEY STINK!!!)

(EDIT: A little web-research has shown that, in fact, some Amish communities do use DC power created by a bank of batteries charged by diesel generators....I have been to several Amish communities and never seen such a thing, but there ya go)

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• Xander
    Xander

Oh, another good one (and this is worth a laugh)....

They can use telephones. They can even OWN a telephone. BUT.....

....they aren't allowed to have it in their house!

Yes, that's right - they have to build a little shanty outside to house their phone.

LOL!

Xander F

--George Santayana

• Xenu
    Xenu

Is a religion bizarre becuase it does not comply with the social
    standards that it may be located in? Is it any wonder why some in the
    Arabic world detest western culture so much?

http://www.rael.org

• Xander
    Xander

Xenu:

Huh? Bizarre means we, here in the western world, look at it and go "Gee, that's bizarre".

Ummmm....so, what? I think a LOT of things are bizarre, but that hardly gives someone the right to detest me for it. Hell, I spend all day in front one of several computers. You can go ahead and think THAT's bizarre, and you may rest assured, I won't detest YOU for it...

Xander F

--George Santayana

• Xenu
    Xenu

Xander

Please review my previous post. I stated Western Culture.

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

Aint nothing like Rev. Mooooooon and his wicked Cult.

Sick, silly and unfortunatly sad

This is bazarre at it's bazarrist.

http://www.tparents.org/

Visit the true parents

College students maybe you can get caught up in a 4 week paintball trip with CARP that will last for years.

• Xander
    Xander

Perhaps I misread...

I think perhaps your placement of the word 'detest' is what is confusing me here...

Xander F

--George Santayana

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Simon, I just saw your thread. Those are Hutterites. They usualy are a bit less strict than Mennonites if I recall, but basically the same.
    They also generally reject anyone who leaves their lifestyle and religion. They live a communal lifestyle and haven't been big on education in the past. In some ways they make JWs look moderate. They buy up farms and form large colonies. Lots in Southern Alberta (which is a bible belt anyway).
    Have a look.
    http://www.hutterites.org/organiz.htm

When I worked in a drugstore down there, we had problems with the Hutterite girls shoplifting cosmetcs or perfumes, as they were just dying to try it and of, course, weren't allowed. They could hide things in those volumous skirts very easily. I always wondered what they would do with it once they had it, so they wouldn't get caught.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit