How to End “the Silent Treatment” ~ Wha?

by enigma1863 16 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• enigma1863
    enigma1863

The Irony is so thick you can cut a knife with it. The watchtower must have some real cognitive dissonance. Read it for your self:

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/g201306/the-silent-treatment

• Wholly
  • Indian Larry
    Indian Larry

I laughed out loud.

• blondie
    blondie

Of course, they really mean only women do this besides withholding sex.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

AWAKE! JUNE 2013 - How to End “the Silent Treatment”

Here are selected statements from the referenced article with my replies:

Awake: How do two people who have vowed to love each other get to the point where they refuse to talk for hours —or even days?

Oubliette: Easy, one of them says or does something that gets them disfellowshipped. Then then other one shuns them in obedience to WT policies and practices.

Awake: Manipulation. Some spouses use silence as a form of revenge. Some use the silent treatment as a means to get what they want. For example, imagine that a husband shunning her in the hope that she will break down and concede to his wishes.

Oubliette: This is easy for me to imagine. This is exactly how the WT bullies people that dare to question or doubt their teachings or authority.

Awake: The first step to ending the silent treatment is to recognize it for what it is —a tactic that, at best, works only short-term. True, not talking may quench your thirst for retaliation or compel your spouse to give in to your wishes. But is that really how you want to treat someone whom you have vowed to love? There are better ways to resolve conflicts.

Oubliette: Really? Better ways to resolve conflicts! You're kidding me. ... duh!

Awake: The silent treatment runs counter to the Bible’s admonition. ... Why not make an agreement with your spouse [or other loved ones] that the silent treatment is unacceptable in your [relationship]?

Oubliette: Wow, did they just say that? Really? Unbelievable! What hypocrites.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

"...imagine that a husband and wife plan a trip and the wife would like to take her parents along. The husband objects. “You’re married to me, not to your parents,” he says. He then gives his wife the silent treatment, shunning her in the hope that she will break down and concede to his wishes." ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- In most houses this would be grounds for divorce. In my home I would just be left behind if I tried to haul my old mother on a vacation.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Pfffft. Yeah.

The modus offered Witnesses? Choke down the mistreatment under "human imperfection" and humbly wait to the end for your just revenge.

Never, ever confront your brother or sister directly in love but rather run to the elders with your story of "stumbling".

If you "miss" someone at the meetings, don't call them up directly but slyly offer your condolences through the long-suffering spouse.

(Matthew 5:23, 18:15-17)

• franticfran
    franticfran

Yes I read that article and thought "are you people entirely stupid"!! Delighted that they avoid me in the street,sometimes I pretend I dont see them because I cant stand the pathetic "we miss you at the meetings" I always feel like saying "and tell me,what is it exactly that you miss about me"? So boring!

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Magwitch...

Keep the context of this in mind. This is their attempt to cater to the cultures in which their growth potential lies. S. America, Asia, Africa, in-laws play a very important part in the family unit in those places, and this would raise certain outrage there. This is what they are trying to demonstrate. We don't get it here.

The US and Western culture is old and busted in JW land.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Cognitive dissonance That is how they break people into mind control. The WTBTS plays upon our minds to question something that the brain can not prove one way or another. Two contradicting thoughts.

This article is written for a man to handle"a womans anger" Did the WTBTS ever stop to teach the husband to be speak honestly and just teach the man to admit he was wrong. No!

He suppose to utterance( always used referring to holy spirit) in this case words utterance with salt. Really! Hmmm, I thought utterance was always referring to receiving Holy Spirit speaking what the spirit said! According to Job salt is used for seasoning food. In this artcle utterances is just words and salt has nothing to do with making food taste better.

When did you ever see utterance used for daily words with salt. Not! Help, my head hurts.

Apparently, husbands recieve some extra holy spirit so he can deal with his pissed off wife. Hmm, By applying spiritual salt to his tongue forces uttering to go back to Christ therefore rejecting a sudden urge to reply truthfully.

Mybe it does not mean that at all. Maybe it is teaching men how to handle their nagging wives. Giving them proper guide lines to stay out of trouble by keeping their mouths shut. But if that were the reason why not just state it which the Faithful and Discreet Slave neglects to do.

Hmmm, I think the article is trying to prove that unlike the wife the husband is giving the power to speak with special discernment and he needs to learn how to use his abilties. Or it just means that husbands need to hold there thoughts back. Apparently, wives do not have ability to decern because her back is turned and she is mad!. She already said what was on her mind and she applied honesty. However, if husbands had his wives ability then they would not need an article written to learn how to descern and he would not look like a hurt child.

Either way the messeage is clear. Wives are the B.tches and the man lookes beat up.

This is why I do not read Wt because I do not have the abily to decern but can speak the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit