Mistranslated Scriptures

by Crazyguy 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Or someone else's translation. I like to use the two sources available to see how they correlate, that is, Strong's and Westcott and Hort's. Even one should be enough to show a JW their translation is tricksie.

• jhine
    jhine

In Colossians 1 where Paul tells us that all things were made by Christ (so He could not be "made")the Watchtower adds the word other , so saying " all other things were made by Him " obviously infering that Christ was made . If you read this passage as it was written without the word OTHER inserted then you see that Paul is at pains to say the exact opposite , that Jesus is not created . My NIV study Bible thinks that this was a heresey infecting the church at Colossae and Paul was writing to put them straight .

This is an obvious mistranslation as the Watchtower has added a word not in the original with the deliberate intention of changing the meaning . It is worth a try pointing this out to whoever , but be warned when I did this the Witnesses just said that they couldn't see the difference between the two meanings !!! HOwever for someone just on the edges or someone already having doubts this could be another nail in the JW coffin .

Hope that this helps .

• Heaven
    Heaven

Botchtower interprets Acts 15:29 incorrectly:

29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well. - KJV

This is not talking about abstaining from blood transfusions to save a life.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

John 19:14 is mistranslated universally. John 19:14 references the specific time of Jesus' final trial before he is executed. It notes the time of the trial is at noon, the "sixth hour." But elsewhere the gospels note that after his impalement at the sixth hour it gets dark. So you have a conflict if you date Jesus' trial on the day of preparation and his death on the day of preparation. The trial needs to be one day before this.

But when you look at the actual Greek, the Greek term de paraskeue (BUT preparation) appears at John 19:14 but not elsewhere in regards to the day of preparation and Jesus' death. So when de/but is used before a time or division of the day, it actually means before. So John 19:14 really should say "It was just before preparation..." rather than "It was preparation..." But this is a common mistranslation because of lack of understanding the subtlety of how the Jews referenced different times of day. I did a video on this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl9_EwtSxak

Jesus' trial at noon occurs before is impalement; the darkness at noon follows his impalement, so the trial must occur the day before his death. The Greek syntax reflects this, but koine Greek scholars have missed this for some reason.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit