Gifts for C.O.'s and D.O.'s

by sosoconfused 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

God Bless that CO, it's about time someone call's them on their "busy body" activity during the CO's visit. We still had members who walked out during his part only to gab about nothing spiritually relevant! Brother Hawkins was a man after my own heart, I think the Organization needs more men like him who call it like it is while keeping themselves humble in the process! Good story, I will share your experience if you don't mind!

• sosoconfused
    sosoconfused

Please do... unfortunately he passed away about 3 years ago... he wrote the song that goes "special Gifts from God our children are"... cant remember the name of the song at the moment.

He actually held reading classes in our territory because we had alot of haitian immigrants. He was overall just a nice guy and seemed to enjoy what he did.

• Shador
    Shador

At my second pious-sneer school (yea, I had to err... got the privlege of going a second time [blech]), the CO conducting mentioned this in his talk. He more or less said "cash only, plz". He talked about how the friends always give C.O.s stuff (clothes, etc.) - but the clothes might not fit or might not be the CO's "style", so it would be better to just give them money if you want to give something.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SHADOR:

Nope, I wouldn't give him what was on the bottom of my shoe.

I was always appalled back in the day when they announced they needed money for the CO's car, insurance etc. Meanwhile you had hard-working people in the congregation who were struggling to pay for their OWN needs!

I despise these wanna-be clergymen and wouldn't give them anything! Let them get a real job, instead of criticizing those who DO work.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Alonzo and Jewel Hawkins were serving in a hall I moved into. Most people liked them a lot. Me not so much. He wouldn't start the meeting until everybody moved forward to fill all the seats in the front. I knew what he was getting at, but many people like me had worked all day, barely made it to the meeting, and didn't like being talked to like we were 3 years old.

There were a few professional musicians in our hall who contributed songs in the song book. Perhaps Alonzo collaborated on that song.

Back to the OT. I figured most CO's in metropolitan areas at least will bank $20K or so in untaxed gift income per year. That is on top of the car, housing and other freebies they receive.

It's a nice gig if you can get it...except not a great retirement plan.

• sosad
    sosad

when i was a kid the greatest privledge was having the co and wife over for supper....we were dirt poor but mom could make a fantastic bowl of homemade soup, fresh bread, stew etc It was always a big deal for our family of seven kids to entertain them. When I was single, struggling with health issues and major depression i decided to invite the then serving couple over for lunch. I was hoping to grab back some love of the org.

The woman was horrible - i was in a one bedroom, simple apartment. Lunch was simple but varied. I served a plate of cheese and although i loved strong, sharp cheese I had settled on some mild cheddar, specifically for the company.

The woman sniffed at the plate, inquired as to type and said "I cant imagine why anyone would ever serve mild cheddar - it is such a waste. I would never serve it." That is pretty much a quote, i was so shocked with her comment it was seared into my brain.

I just looked at her - great clothes, perfect makeup- and said nothing, I was in such shock. Her husband was even embarrassed.

• Mum
    Mum

Once when I was a dub, my mom commented about how the JW's wouldn't celebrate birthdays or anything that could be construed as special attention or "creature worship" for anyone. BUT, she said, when that Circuit Overseer comes around, they all bring out their best food and hospitality and treat him like a king.

Years later, she became a JW herself. Go figure.

• wandasue
    wandasue

I find it funny my husband gives the cash. The CO's wife sends a thank you note thanking him for his generous gift. He tears it in little pieces throws in the trash and I tape it together and read it to him. Sure would like to get that kind of a gift from him. When it is time to pay our income tax and all he shows are his monthly checks as a donation. I ask him where are the receipts for cash gifts. His answer he doesn't give any gifts of cash. Liar, liar pants on fire. What a f_____ joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They want to hit me up for some "gifts(??)" for hounder-hounders and hounder-hounder-hounders? Guess what--I have some nice ideas. A fancy Ouija board, a set of Tarot cards, fancy crystal ball, a nice Christmas tree complete with a billion lights and decorations, about 500 Christmas carols, a complete set of 50 Cent's CDs, a case of black candles, a big bag of incense, and a membership for the Church of Satan. I bet that will be the last time they hit you up for anything.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Sosoconfused Brown Payne just finished serving in New England as DO and I agree with your sentiments that he was a prick. He was one of the most arrogant man I ever met and did not like him from the beginning. His wife has cancer. I heard she waited so long to get checked out she is not doing the best. Brown Payne is no longer serving as a DO. I need to ask where is he now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit