Harlots Humiliate Jehovah Witness Preachers

by TJ Curioso 16 Replies latest social current

• free @ last
    free @ last

Steve: who said this was funny? I don't see that in the article or in any of the posts on this thread.

The article does seem to be translated from some other language though.

• steve2
    steve2

Fair enough. I would suggest that the total absence of any reference in the article to sexual harrassment and its snigger-tone as well as the subsequent flippant comments from posters underscores how readily men being sexually harrassed elicits light-hearted commentary. Imagine the uproar if female JWs were set-upon by male sex workers - although given some people's propensity to be titillated, even that might stir-up innuendo.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

maybe they were just pissed off that some dumb JWs insisted on preaching to them during prime money-making time. I always thought it was rude to call on businesses and waste their time. These folks were trying to work!

• free @ last
    free @ last

"the subsequent flippant comments from posters underscores how readily men being sexually harrassed elicits light-hearted commentary"

Where do you see those comments Steve? The article linked to has 0 comments and I don't see any one on this thread being dismissive of harassment although some have asked good questions about why those men chose to go preaching their.

The article also just reads like a blow by blow account with no editorializing. I'm not picking up on any snigger-tone.

• jws
    jws

Well, I did make a somewhat sarcastic comment alluding to their on again, off again policy that women would be guilty of fornication if they were raped and didn't call out. And positing whether it applied to men too.

Yes, people tend to think "what? men raped? men always want sex, they must have enjoyed it". But not true. Many men do not want sex with whoever, nor against their will. And have you ever seen documentaries on prostitutes? We're not talking Julia Roberts. Not to mention the diseases they often carry.

Granted, if I were attacked and raped by several women I found attractive and I wasn't in a relationship and allowed to wear a condom... Let's just say I might not be calling the cops. But, it's never happened, so I don't know for sure. I have had my butt grabbed, rubbed, pinched, and don't mind.

• steve2
    steve2

You make very good points free @ last. Up until your post, there were no unequivocal snigger-tones in others' responses. However, immediately after your post, poster jws expresses a notoriously common view that minimizes - and even welcomes - sexual overtures from women and because he is okay about it, fails to see how it could be traumatizing to others. A bit like women responding to other women who have been sexually harrased by saying, "I'd be okay about that happening to me," and then listing all the things they've been subjected to in a ho-hum manner.

The point I make is perhaps more subtle than the topic warrants - but it illustrates the absence of any empathic awareness about what it must have been like to have been suddenly set upon by women - remarkable when you think that, from the male JWs perspective, this could have been traumatizing.

• free @ last
    free @ last

I remember now preaching once in a brothel. The conditions on the inside were really demoralizing. We made sure they did not have any customers before going in. A few of the women listened patiently, most just went on about getting ready for the days work. The elders made sure that a pair would visit at a time, one male one female. I remember being really nervous going in. But I sorta understood why the territory servant made sure that these women were not overlooked.

Around where I live and work I think we take sexual assault pretty seriously regardless of whether the victim is male or female. Just recently I had a male patient who, based on his injuries, appeared to be a victim of abuse so I took extra time to question him privately about safety concerns. He stuck with his story about repeated accidental self injury but at least I hope he knows now that if he was ever mistreated by someone else he has places and people to turn to for help that would treat him respectfully.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit