I don't get it ... 80% of people in Oklahoma DON'T have a Tornado Shelter. Are they nuts ????

by RubaDub 60 Replies latest jw friends

• 5go
    5go

Try building a shelter under a mobil home with no money. I lived in that area I am surprised anyone had one. Everyone is stone poor and those thing are expensive to build and you may never use them I never did.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Now that I think about it, if you laid the container on the side instead of standing upright, it would only be 8' high and 10' wide. The hole would not need to be as deep. Of course there would be a cost to having an entry door welded but still ...

That would increase the capacity to 40-45 people. At 4 people per household, that is over 10 families.

Rub a Dub

• 5go
    5go

yeah I have to admit captain is sort of right I was reading in a top ten richest zip codes in the US list and OK city was on it. All the others were in New York or Cali but having T. Boone Pickens living in the zip code could of messed with the matrix.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    Try building a shelter under a mobil home with no money.

5go ...

True a mobile home park may be difficult it you don't own the land.

But if you were allowed and you were not sitting directly on rock, a 4x4 hole as little as 5' or 6' deep with a simple metal door would, IMO, be a far better place to be than inside a moble home. (We're talking about sweat equity here, not a lot of cash).

Rub a Dub

• Satanus
    Satanus

In a mobile home park (trailer park), one lot could be set aside to be used for a shelter for the residents. A container could be used for this; anchored to a concrete pad, anchored into the ground. Either the park owners or the municiple govt or state govt would need to be involved. Noone would take the responsibility or spend the money (the residents likely don't have the money), unless legislation forced them to. Just a thought.

S

• Glander
    Glander

Floridians are fortunate to have tornado shelters everywhere.

• blondie
    blondie

It's cheaper not to put in a basement. I live in a snowy winter state with tornados and basements are the rule, especially for new construction. In OK it is not the rule...if it were it would cost about $2,200 to put in a shelter rather than trying to put one in after the fact.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/22/us/oklahoma-tornado-basements/index.html

Realtors don't even list it as a feature so it is hard to go online and find a house that has one.

• Giordano
    Giordano

The greater Oklahoma City area has been hit by 150 Tornados since 1893 The town of Moore has experience two Killer tornado's since 1999. I would think that schools would have at least one reinforced hallway that could hold up to an F5 tornado. According to what I've been hearing on the Radio it's better if the kids stay in a safe area of the school then having them picked up by their parents or trying to get home on their own.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/?n=tornadodata-okc-table

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

T. Boone Pickens may have come from Oklahoma, but he lives in Dallas, TX

• Simon
    Simon

Not everyone can afford one - it's a lot to pay for something that might hit a community once every 20 years or so (or never) and even then only affect relatively few properties.

Life has uncertainty built-in. You cannot protect against everything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit