A new DVD for 2013: The Return of the Prodigal Son

by Oubliette 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

In another thread, What's new for 2013 - lo nuevo de 2013, JWN member, oppostate, posted news of DC releases at this year's District Conventions. Among the releases was this:

A new DVD for 2013: The Return of the Prodigal Son

I was moved to write the following commentary, which I also felt warranted its own thread:

Now in the actual Bible account, when the son returns, the father runs out to welcome his son back before he makes it all the way to the house. The father even orders a celebration!

So he rose and went to his father. While he was yet a long way off, his father caught sight of him and was moved with pity, and he ran and fell upon his neck and tenderly kissed him. Then the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy of being called your son. Make me as one of your hired men.’ But the father said to his slaves, ‘Quick! bring out a robe, the best one, and clothe him with it, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet. And bring the fattened young bull, slaughter it and let us eat and enjoy ourselves, because this my son was dead and came to life again; he was lost and was found.’ And they started to enjoy themselves. - Luke 15:20 - 24

But in the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses we find a stark contrast. When a "prodigal" one returns to the Kingdom Hall, the elders tell them to, "Sit down, be quiet and accept your shunning! It's discipline from Jehovah."

This psychological form of public flogging usually goes on for many months and maybe even a year or more. Note that there was no "running out" to meet the "prodigal" one as they approached their heavenly Father's house, the Kingdom Hall. They had to come all the way on their own.

The "prodigal" one is required to make a written request asking for reinstatement into the congregation. The elders will often take weeks or longer to respond to each request; sometimes they forget entirely. They are after all, very busy "in the work of the Lord."

There is no set format for such a request. If it is too long, or too short, or contains words or scriptures the elders don't like, then they will use that as their "reason" for denying the request. Sometimes no reason is given for a denial other than, "It's too soon." He or she may have to make many repeated requests for reinstatement, each time hoping that this one will be "the one."

When the "prodigal" one has finally somehow proved their "repentance" to the elder body by means that no one can consistently and definitively describe, then the elders will magnanimously approve the "penitent's" request for reinstatement.

When the elders finally grant such a request, then they will make a public announcement giving permission for the congregation members to talk to you again. But after that, you'll still have restrictions on you for an indefinite period of time. BTW, you can forget about any party, because that's just not gonna' happen! Congregation members are explicitly instructed to not even clap when a reinstatement announcement is made.

So the question comes to mind on the part of thinking individuals: If this is really a Bible-based religion as they claim, then why don't the Bible account and JW practices correspond?

What do you think?

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

If I recall the drama correctly, a kid starts running with the wrong crowd.

Everyone starts to get worried in the typical JW manner, and he gets labelled "bad association" without anyone knowing if he has even done anything. The crime in reality is associating with "worldly" teens. At first he resists meeting with the elders (good call there!)

And of course he gets into trouble, and comes back. Of course it shows him meeting with two elders to start with. As you point out above, where is that in the bible? Shouldn't everyone welcome him with open arms if he simply comes back, no matter the reason?

I don't think he gets DFd in the drama, so of course all the JWs come out of it saying what a "lovely arrangement" the JC is....(gag)

The drama itself was full of JW cliches, guilt, and of course hammered home the point that elders have authority over you.

But I think its also designed to try to give false hope to long time JWs who have kids that have left the religion.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

LG: But I think its also designed to try to give false hope to long time JWs who have kids that have left the religion.

False hope is the stock in trade of the WTBTS. It's the only kind of hope they have to give.

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

The first thing I thought when I saw this thread title was that they're putting this out to try to give hope to the many that have children that have long left. False hope, indeed.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Ilovebirthdays: The first thing I thought when I saw this thread title was that they're putting this out to try to give hope to the many that have children that have long left. False hope, indeed.

Of course, you're absolutely right.

It sure isn't for the ones that have left. I mean, how would we even know? Except of course by reading it here on JWN! ...

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

I clearly remember thus drama, it was what cemented in my mind that I made the right decision to leve the org. It was during the time my wife was allowing conversation about the "truth" it also made a big impression with her. I think if ou are awake and thinking, this will kick you in the gut.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

When you compare the WT method of shunning/discipline with the parable of the Prodigal Son, there is no way to correlate the two approaches.

Whereas the parable illustrates several lessons, including a longing to see someone return, a constant watching/concern for that person, then an outward display of love and joy to see them return, the WT approach is diametrically opposed: apathy toward anyone that leaves; no proactive effort to get them back; no watching in anticipation of a return; no love shown when a person comes back; a harsh judiciary procedure; when reinstatement occurs, the puniskment continues with restrictions on "privileges". And, of course, absolutely no celebration. In fact, as was pointed out, celebrating is directly banned.

FEAR and GUILT- two of the WT's most powerful weapons.

• Gopher
    Gopher

:But I think its also designed to try to give false hope to long time JWs who have kids that have left the religion.

Oh yes, my parents keep hoping for my sister and me to come back to the fold.

The entire process of judicial committees, public announcement, disfellowshipping, shunning, sitting at the back of the halls, the long wait to get back in -- is entirely man made. It's true that Paul told the 1st century group to remove the wicked man from among yourselves. The JW's jump on that and assume that everything else in the process is from the Bible and not from the mind of JF Rutherford and his successors.

• Honesty
    Honesty

The following is a parable about the "JW Prodigal Son"

The young JW said to one of the elders, "Elder, I have doubts about the Governing Body." So the elder convened a judicial committee and they disfellowshipped him.

Not long after that, the younger JW was not allowed to talk to his JW family anymore and had to move out of their home. The job he had with another JW was soon terminated and he was left on his own. Since he had no skills—his religion wouldn't allow him any higher education—and he had no friends—his religion didn't allow him to associate with anyone who wasn't a JW—he began to think back on what he had before. Although he did not really believe in the religion, he decided he would return so at least he could once again associate with people, have employment, and feel as though he was not abandoned.

When he confessed the error of his ways, the young JW said to the elder, "Elder, I have sinned against the Watchtower and against the governing body. I am no longer worthy to be called a JW," only then was he allowed to return to the meetings in the hope of rejoining his family and former so-called friends. He could not talk to anyone except for the spiritually strong elders and his father who now began to study with him even though he had heard the same stuff hundreds of times before. He played the game and one day was reinstated to the joy of everyone who could now talk to him and tell him them missed him even though he was there all the time.

The other young JW's who had continued with their monotonous routine of Watchtower worship while he was gone looked scornfully at the returnee because he had not had to do all of the service they did. They kept their distance from him as they viewed him as still contaminated and would never fully be one of them again.

The young JW slowly worked his way back to earning his privileges. His going through the motions of being in the "truth" was enough to satisfy his family and the elders.

Now he frequents Internet sites to find support for his situation because he knows the Watchtower is a lie but he still wants to associate with his family.

• BU2B
    BU2B

Right on Honesty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit