Has the feared and much anticipated,'Jehovah Witness Great Tribulation', now started in earnest during this year of 2013?

by Sol Reform 38 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

blondie:

(Matthew 24:44) 44 On this account YOU too prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that YOU do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming.

Actually, that scripture is kind of accurate. JWs expect that 'the end' could be any time. And that's exactly when it isn't happening. Jesus, Santa and the Easter Bunny are not coming to visit. Ever.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

*Lost*

Regarding the great city of Revelation 16:19a. I'll get back to this in just a little. (I have to go out to get a haircut [said sheepishly])

Take Care

• *lost*
    *lost*

ty buddy

please don't say your getting it shaved though. . lol

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

*Lost*:

please don't say your getting it shaved though.

Not to worry. I always tell the barber not to cut the bald spots.

Regarding the great city of 16:19a

You asked where can one find info on this. I've done extensive research on this verse, including the "a" part.

Here is some of what I have found:

The Society believes the "a" part of 16:19 is the same as the "c" part. In other words, 'Babylon's being handed the cup of God's wrath' (16:19c) is simply a reiteration of 'the great city's being split into three parts. (16:19a) Their reasoning is that Babylon is called "the great city" in 17:18. That and simple assertion. Here are the only modern day references to the Society's position on this: RC (Revelation Climax) p.234, par.8, and also see the question for that pragraph; IT-1, p.670 (See the last paragraph under the article on "earthquakes."); W67 p.59 par.2; BF (Babylon the Great Has Fallen) p.572, par.2. (The next reference backwards is a 1930s WT, but it has a completely different understanding of Babylon and the great city. The ones referenced above all have the same basic understanding.)

The Society also believes the 'splitting into three parts' is symbolic. The 'three" (according to them) is for emphasis. And thus, according to the Society, 'splitting into three parts' means total destruction. To the Society, Rev 16:19a is saying the same thing as Rev 17:16 says about Babylon the Great.

Much of how the WT understands the GT depends on their understanding of Rev. 16:19.

I've also looked at numerous non-WT commentaries and they divide into two main camps:

1. Those who believe 16:19a is something different than 16:19c.

This view is always seen by these commentaries as being contextually harmonious. The commentaries that see it this way are usually consistant in their reasoning, that is, that the context demands seeing 16:19a as something different than 16:19c. They see 16:19 as a laundry list, of sorts: The great earthquake happens (v.18), "And" the great city is split into three (v.19a), "And" the cities of the nations fall (v.19b), "And" Babylon is handed a cup of wrath (v.19c), and so on into verses 20 & 21.

2. Those who believe 16:19a and 16:19c are referring to the same thing (similar to the WT).

The reasons given in these commentaries often vary, yet result in the same view that 16:19a & 16:19c are the same thing.

Naturally, the WT and non-WT differ on what the various entities refer to. But I was going to concentrate on the question, 'Are they (16:19a & 16:19c) referring to the same thing?'

I'm not sure if that question interests you.

Incidentally, WT literature (the references above), prevent their readers from answering that question. They don't even want the question raised. And thus, the references to "the great city" all have "[Babylon the Great]" inserted to direct the readers into the way the WT wants them to understand it.

I'll explain my view more if your interested.

Take Care

• zeb
    zeb

It might be in the US. My God I have just read this am that civil war is expected in the US ! Has America gone completely nuts?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

It's an 'overlapping(TM)' 'tribulation(TM)'.

...............like my overlapping imagination.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Based on Sol Reform's summary of legislative/legal actions, it appears governments are finally turning on child abusers more so that churches.

• Room 215
    Room 215

The Watchtower's original end-times scenario, which prevailed through the early 60s, was that the Great Tribulation began with Satan's ouster from heaven in 1914, precipitating an unprecedented time of trouble that would be cut short to allow "some flesh to be saved."

• Wholly
    Wholly

"Who fears the Great Tribulation? Not Jehovah's Witnesses. We will be among the few that survive it." - a watcher

What makes you so sure? My Bible tells me that Jesus' Millenial Kingdom on Earth will decend from Heaven after the Great Tribulation and those whom have put their faith in him will live with him in it. It also tells me that Jesus warned that what was done to him would be done to his faithful ones even to death in the last days. He prepared those who believe in him to expect imprisonment, torture and death and that those who lose their lives on his account will save it.

Your GB has taken the place of our Savior in your doctrine and teachings. In my experience and understanding of the JW Doctrine, Jesus is merely the relayer of your prayers to your God and is not recognized as your only hope for salvation or survival of the Great Tribulation.

The "elect" are Jews who accept Jesus as their messiah in the last days and turn to him before the Great Tribulation and on their account the "days will be cut short".

But if it makes you happy, warm and comfy to believe you are following Biblical instruction, more power to you. You'll need it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit