Do you Remember the Moment you Stopped Being a JW?

by Smoldering Wick 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

"It only takes a moment. A moment of sanity. Clarity. A moment in which you know, deep inside yourself, that you've had enough. You've lived in pain too long. It's time to change." -When God Becomes A Drug Breaking the Chains of Religious Addiction & Abuse

My "moment" came packaged inside a green & yellow pill. That pill gave my brain just the right chemical to remove guilt.

I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. Like the endless kick of an unknown attacker as I curled up in helplessness. It was a series of things really. The kicks.

It was the fall of 1991, I couldn't have been happier. After auxiliary pioneering on and off throughout my life...I had finally reached my goal of completing a year as a full time pioneer. I was on my way to Pioneer School when I heard the news.

My best friend and her husband (my brother) were getting a Divorce. She was going to be Disfellowshipped. I was devastated. I had lost my best friend, my second parents and my childhood fantasy of "Living Happily Ever After" all in one fell swoop.

Then I heard more news. Brother L who had been painting a boat at the Island had slipped, hit his head and was killed instantly. A handsome man, father of two and a great husband. The first talk he gave at the hall...he was so excited, he forgot to buy himself some dress shoes. He wore his purple tennis shoes on stage. He wasn't crazy...just loved life. He had been a Mexican Actor before becoming a witness...and he was hilarious. I remember video taping one of his spontaneous comedic flashes of genius at a party...I couldn't even hold the video camera straight I was laughing so hard and had to pee. I visited his widow several months after he died to give her the tape as my final good-bye.

As it turns out, his best friend Brother M...a Ministerial Servant at our hall (father of 3, loving husband)...who had brought Brother L "into the truth" took the accidental death of his dear companion much harder than we all realized. There were rumors he was depressed. But, he seemed like such a strong person. The elders took turns trying to "help" him. Just when they thought he was going to be ok...he sat down quietly in his music store, put a gun to his head and disappeared.

They say bad things come in three...but, someone forgot to stop counting. There was another suicide in our hall...a young boy, 17 and a gun. A seizure took another brother, who had finally gotten out on his own and into his new condo. Then there was Amanda.

Amanda was nine. She wanted to be baptized before she died. She was...a pool was set up in her back yard. She loved God & life and we loved her. She's buried under a beautiful Fresno tree that whispers of waves as the warm ocean breeze blows through it's branches.

...and on it goes. The kicking...

I remember looking into the mirror once and seeing a lifeless, empty shell. I guess that happy self had retreated temporarily until life became more kind. I walked around in that empty shell for some time barely acknowledging the kicking as it became more frequent. Slowly my world was crumbling...a career loss, a business loss, my home gone, my son's health gone, as was mine.

I was there at all the meetings and service. The me that was left anyway. I felt guilty when I didn't go. I felt guilty for crying when someone would ask me how I was feeling.

That's when the little yellow & green pill that saved my life (in more ways than I realized then) came into the picture. It was a routine visit to one of my son's doctors. As, I sat on the couch in front of him...he gently held up a mirror and showed me myself. I had seen that ghostly image before...but, this time the light was on.

"You have Major Depression" he told me. I hated him. What did he know? I'm smart, funny...I was always smiling...I lit up a room when I walked in...and most of all I had the "Truth." I wondered why he couldn't see that part of me.

My "moment" came packaged inside a green & yellow pill. That pill gave my brain just the right chemical to remove guilt. I no longer cried when someone asked me how I was feeling. My life began one Thursday evening around 6:45pm when I made a conscious decision without guilt of staying home from the meeting. I never went back.

Did I still think it was the "Truth" that evening? Sure. All those little "wait on Jehovah" doubts wouldn't resurface until a few months later.

I read terms on my monitor like "Walking Wounded" & RAW (Raised As Witnesses). I met people who were lifeless just like me...but, those connections somehow started to bring us back, slowly.

It only took a moment. A moment of sanity. Clarity. A moment in which I knew, deep inside myself, that I'd had enough. I'd lived in pain too long. It was time to change...and I did.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." ~Voltaire

• Francois
    Francois

Very good, and moving story. I'll have to think about my answer. I'm not sure I can pin down exactly when I knew I was through with it.

BTW, the pill; what was it?

Francois

• JAVA
    JAVA

WOW -- that is a beautiful post! Thank you.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Excellent Smoldering! I well recall the time I knew that I was no longer a JW ... in my heart. The quote you made about pain is interesting.

For many years, while still a JW, I felt emotional pain that never seem to fully go away, but became worse in intensity and frequency. At first, I thought that the pain was due to my own spiritual inadequacies. By the time I left the religion, I had shifted that pain to the Watchtower teachings and policies.

Ten years later, I have come to understand that the pain definitely was not due to my own personality, nor was completely caused by the teachings of the religion, but rather, my continued particiaption in it. It is like having your hand caught in a rat trap. The pain is not my doing, but the force of the trap. The responsibility is on me, though, to remove my hand from the trap to stop the pain.

The Watchtower religion is like a rat trap ... it is a blind, unfeeling mechanism and is designed to do one thing ... entrap people. The pain is a consequence, but the power to end that pain is with the person caught to simply open the trap, and remove their hand.

Of course, it is much more complicated than a simple rat trap. But the ultimate concpet is the same.

Following Bible principles, we will avoid trying to live - or demand others to live - by an extensive and rigid set of dos and don'ts that go beyond the teachings of the Bible. The Watchtower, 4-15-02, pg 22, pp 15

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Dear Wick, such a moving story, told with your own special sincerity. Thank you so much for sharing it.

• mouthy
    mouthy

One of the worst times in my life. After being a fathful JW for over 20 yrs-my husbands beatings to leave it( persecution I thought)I read in the WT.that you werent REALLY a JW,unless you believed Jesus came invisably in 1914.I had never believed that. I wrote to "FREDDIE"
    he sent the local elders to tell me I was to be "ousted" I cried to them & asked what they would do if I commited suicide-One shrugged his shoulders-I walked the streets- trying to pluck the courage to run in front of a bus.Then I met two others who were DF-They showed me love- took me to a EXJW convention.I found REAL friends there /
    That was in 1989.( baptized in 1965-kicked out in 1987- two years after my hubby died. THATS what they did to THIS widow( what did the bible say about widows??/lol

• Scully
    Scully

Francois:

The green and yellow pill... sounds like it might be fluoxetine hydrochloride (aka Prozac™).

SW:

I had a similar "awakening" during my recovery from postpartum depression.

"It only takes a moment. A moment of sanity. Clarity. A moment in which you know, deep inside yourself, that you've had enough. You've lived in pain too long. It's time to change." -When God Becomes A Drug Breaking the Chains of Religious Addiction & Abuse
    My "moment" came, however, near the end of my treatment. I had become inactive as a JW, and could only stand to read the Bible. This resulted in my seeing so many inconsistencies between what the Bible SAID and what the WTS 'said the Bible said'. My family and I had been subjected to so many cruel words by "brothers" and "sisters" and to so much unchristian behaviour at their hands during a time when we needed their love and support. Instead, we were "kicked when we were down" and felt as though we were sheep that had been ravaged by wolves. The brothers even refused to pass the emblems to me at the Memorial, that's how horrible they were to me. Finally, I opened up to a JW sister who had been what I considered to be 'my best friend' for over 10 years, and while we were having coffee together in a restaurant, I told her that I was overwhelmed by the demands of being a JW, and that I felt that I needed to take an extended "break" from The Truth™. What she told me in reply was the final straw, the kick that was the LAST kick I was going to take from a JW:

If you're going to turn your back on The Truth™, your three beautiful children would be better off if you took them out in the back yard and blew their heads off with a gun. That way they won't go down with you at Armageddon and will have a resurrection in The Paradise™.

I stood up from the table where we were seated, walked out the door of the restaurant, and never looked back. She tried to call me a few times afterward, and I refused to speak to her. I hung up on her as soon as I heard her voice. That was seven years ago, and I remember it like it happened yesterday. That's exactly when I knew it was over.

Love, Scully

• alazenby
    alazenby

Praise God someone has enough mind left to think! I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING if my daughter would give me a chance to just talk to her, even if she doesn't say a word, about all the pain this WT has caused me since she was 15 and they took her and trained her behind our backs, now she is in middle of divorce after 13 years, and I have cancer, and merely ASKED her if she would let me talk to her for a little while, give me JUST AS MUCH TIME AS SHE GIVES A STRANGER, AT LEAST, DO I NOT DESERVE AS MUCH TIME AS A STRANGER WOULD GET? No, she said, if I do mention it again, I WILL NEVER SEE HER AGAIN, AND SHE MEANS IT. I take that as a threat, huh -- but our efforts to help her in EVERYTHING during their marriage financially, businesswise, and healthwise, all that is legitimate and OK -- but my opinions on the most IMPORTANT THING IN LIFE -- ETERNITY -- I am a liar and not to be trusted just for asking her this:

If two people differ on an issue, and they both say they are right, isn't one of them wrong and the other should really endeavor to work with that person? If it's really true what you believe, what fear is there to go over the facts with the other? Truth never changes. Either Jesus was who he said he was, or he isn't. He can't be both and BOTH OF US BE RIGHT AND OK TO BELIEVE IT, at the same time. This is MUTUAL EXCLUSIVITY -- either you're pregnant or not, either you're male or not, either you're female or not, either you're married or not, et cetera. Either you're up or down. Can anybody give me any hints why she would be like this -- she says just leave her to believe what she wants, and she'll let me believe what I want.

But that's not LOVE -- LOVE wants what is right for the other, even if it takes a little friction to get there. Right? Alice

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

For me it was a time when I was already sick of the bOrg and thinking about leaving.

Then the first of two fateful days came. I was at a meeting and they were giving a talk about living a double life. In middle of the talk, I got up and left never to return.

The second fateful day came when the elders sat in a car in my driveway waiting for me to get home. They confronted me about my [Gasp] donating blood and threatened to DF me. I said OK, I'll have my DA letter for you shortly. I typed one up and delivered it to one of the elders the same day.

Free at last! Free at last! Thank GAWD almightily, free at last!

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Wow Smoldering Wick,

I’m glad you got something to help you.

When I realized it wasn’t the tr00f, it is like being punched in the stomach. I can remember going through the motions of life, getting up, dressing, work, meals, but my head was spinning around with all kinds of thoughts. I thought I was dizzy for several days if not weeks. I would only allow myself a few moments a day to really think about the ramifications of what I had learned. My life was truly a fog for several months. But boy, when that fog lifts and the friends and support I have gotten here, makes life oh so wonderful. I can only look back at the people I’m leaving behind and feel sorry for them. They do not realize what type of life they are living. All I can do now is be there for other people leaving the borg and help them sort out their feelings.

Thank you for posting this wonderful thread, Smoldering Wick.

J2bf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit