Ouija boards and science

by FrankWTower 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FrankWTower
    FrankWTower

There is an interesting new article at guardian.com on things like dowsing, ouija boards and other scams. It illustrates how there is a scientific explanation for ouija boards, and how dowsing won't stand up to scientific scrutiny.

Here's a summary:

The ideomotor effect is also behind the supposed power of Ouija boards to communicate with the dead. Sometimes referred to as 'spirit boards', Ouija boards typically consist of a round board marked with all the letters of the alphabet, the digits one to nine, and the words "yes" and "no". Sitters place their fingers lightly on a specially constructed heart-shaped piece of wood known as a planchette and proceed to address questions to the spirit world. The technique also works simply by using letters and numbers written on pieces of paper and arranged in a circle on a smooth table, along with an upturned wine glass in place of a planchette.

Amazingly, in response to questions, the planchette (or wine glass) often appears to move around, pointing to various letters and numbers to relay the responses back from the spirits. Once again, we are dealing with an example of the ideomotor effect. Although the illusion that the pointer is being moved by some outside force is extremely strong, the truth is that the sitters are actually moving it without realising it.

Whether the device is a Ouija board, a divining rod or a bomb detector, the ideomotor effect is capable of producing powerful illusions that can be exploited by the unscrupulous. Those whom they fool are usually well-intentioned, often highly intelligent individuals. But the demonstrations used to convince them of the claims are never carried out under properly controlled conditions. If anomalistic psychology shows us anything, it is that intelligence and good intentions are no protection against self-deception. The only way to avoid being taken in by such effects is through the use of properly controlled, double-blind tests.

Here's the link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2013/apr/27/ouija-boards-dowsing-rods-bomb-detectors

FYI, the ouija board is manufactured by Milton Bradley and is sold at Toys-R-Us. I would expect such an evil, spritualistic tool to be crafted and sold by practicioners of the occult, not at your nearest toy store. It's just another phobia instilled by the WT to clueless JWs.

• cantleave
  • cantleave
  • cantleave
    cantleave

Nothing to be scared of folks. It's science not demunz!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm an advocate of "intentional apostacy" which means I intentionally seek ways to break Watchtower rules that I believe are based on "dub-thunk" rather than REASON.

Study chess and the martial atrs, eat a blood sausage, learn to sing your national anthem (with feeling!), collect devices of divination (you get BONUS POINTS if you buy them at a garage sale) decorate your home with Xmas lights and statues of Kwan-Yin and Cthulhu, tour various churches, join the YMCA, donate blood and THANK A SOLDIER FOR HIS (or HER) SERVICE.

It's all good, and in the day of thy doing it, thou shalt not die.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I figured out the ouija board thing just using common sense. It just seems ridiculous that unseen spirit forces will appear because you bought a board at Toys R Us and communicate things to you. I seems pretty obvious that at least one person in the group is controling the planchette, either consciously or not. Despite this I have been unable to bring myself to buy a ouija board. I know it's harmless, I don't believe in demons, I just still can't do it and I've been out 13 years. I do many of the other formerly taboo things. my husband is in the military, so I've gotten over that, I celebrate Christmas in a big way, I sing the national anthem, I have been to many churces. Some brain washing takes better than others I guess. I would be interested if any here have used a Ouija board, and what happened.

I think a similar fraud was perpetrated in the education system. Some children that were unable to communicate due to significant physical and/or mental issues were being given assistants. the assistant held the hand of the child so that they could type on a keyboard. Parents were convinced their child was communicating with this method. The schools felt that the assistant was the one actually guiding the hand and objected the the major expense of having an assistant for each child.

• cantleave
    cantleave

NN - I have a Buddah statue in my living room, a gargoyle outside, an FSM on my car we have a wonder finbre optic xmas tree and very pretty multifunctional xmas lights.

How many points is that?

• *lost*
    *lost*

um - anyone here got any actual personal experience of ouija boards, black magic, satanism etc.

I wasn't born 'in', I didn't grow up 'in', from someone who came out of the 'world'

I wouldn't, and i do mean, I wouldn't get involved with ouija boards or anything else remotely connected to the 'dark arts' spiritism, demonism, whatever else you want to call it. I certainly wouldn't be getting one for my kids, toy shop or not.

Have you seen a proper ouija board drawn by a satanist, complete with chickens blood.

Nope. I wouldn't be going there.

• cofty
    cofty

lost - Why not?

• talesin
    talesin

NN - agreed ... kinda like reading tarot cards and being an olde hippie who wishes only to be a combination of Tommy Chong, George Carlin and Rita Hayworth.

But not me, of course.

t

* cough, cough *

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit