Did the Romans use crosses or stakes??

by Monsieur 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

The cross is so prevalent, i would be inclined to believe that this is for a reason. Can anybody provide references for either one?

• The Quiet One
  • jgnat
    jgnat

Here's a great article:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/92381/1/The-facts-on-crucifixion-stauros-and-the-torture-stake

I believe Leolaia concluded that Jesus most likely carried the patibulum to the place of crucifixion, which was then attached to the upright stake.

Platibulum

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

From my research, I would vote for cross. Of course, I was not present at the crucifixion. Does it make any difference at all? This is the WT with its phoney side issues, designed to detract from true Christianity. The cross or stake are meaningless in themselves. Rather, is Christ God? Did he rise again and ascend to heaven? Will Christ return? These are the true questions.

Even if Christ were crucified on a stake, the cross has been the central symbol for countless generations of Christians. We do not worship crosses. Crosses symbolize that Jesus was God, that he died, was resurrected, and will return. How much emotional power does an image of a torture stake convey in our culture? Not much.

Crosses were not used by the earliest Christians. I've read this in many sources. They drew the fish symbol and lamb to represent what the cross now means. Read Paul's words about the folly of the cross.

Does it matter what kind of undergarments Jesus wore during the Passion? Cross or stake is the same type of comment.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Both, and many other styles. The romans were quite creative w how they killed people. Guess, they needed entertainment, not having television. If you can find justice lipsuis' book, he has a lot of pics of the different styles that the romans used.

Newly out from the wt, a few yrs ago, i went to the catholic seminary, where they kindly allowed me to photocopy all the pics from the original book.

S

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

What difference does it make? Either one will do a nice job of killing.

• sspo
    sspo

The watchtower seems to be the only religion that goes with the pole and not the cross.

They just want to be different than the rest and are not humble enough to admit when they are wrong.

All the evidence points to the cross.

They also believe the stupidity of 144k going to heaven.... taken from the book of Revelation...written in sign and symbols.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It matters only in the respect of whether we can accept or debunk the WTS theology and teachings. They have made it into an issue , not us . According to them there is no doubt , he died on a stake and the wicked churches have changed it into a pagan cross .

Of course it does not really matter but can a person put faith in what they say and the reasons they give for changing millenia of Christian belief? I will leave it to others to show the missquotes and half truths that are used by the WTS

• Watkins
    Watkins

You missed an option in your OP, Monseiur - cross, stake or TREE? Galatians 3: 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us—for it is written, “ Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree ”— 14 in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

It was definitely wood in some form...

To 'impale' is far different than 'crucify', if I'm not mistaken. Justice Lipsuis' book shows what a true impalement is... no nails... and that's one image I can never erase from my mind... ugh. But there were many methods used during the different historical eras, variety is the spice of death to the blood-thirsty. I'm sure different peoples described the same events with different terms - and now 2,000 years later we're trying to make soup with nuts and bolts. Nah - it has to be simpler than that... right?

I'm with Band on the Run - wasn't there to know fer sure, and this is definitely one of those nit-picky things the wt makes a huge deal out of even though they're wrong and it doesn't matter one tiddley bit to anyone else but them. It all began as just another attack on Catholics back in Rutherford's day. The wt is really just the proliferation of his hatred for all things, isn't it.

However, I'll stick with tree, and outstretched arms. The sign, 'King of the Jews' was above his head, not above upraised arms as the wt paints it. I always picture Jesus with his arms outstretched... "Come to me..."

watkins

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Yes! The outreached arms are important. It is no accident that the cross is so poweful for Christians. According to the Book of Common Prayer, 'he stretched out his arms on the hard wood of the cross." If Henry VIII believe it, it is good enough for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit