Two questions to make one think

by Rufus T. Firefly 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Rufus T. Firefly
    Rufus T. Firefly

How do you think the WTB&TS (and the average JW) would answer the following two questions? How would you answer them?

(1) Can one be a genuine Christian without being a JW?

(2) Can one be an "exemplary" JW without being a genuine Christian?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm putting on hubby's cap and this is how I think he would answer.

(1) Can one be a genuine Christian without being a JW?

No

(2) Can one be an "exemplary" JW without being a genuine Christian?

Yes

He's found a new way to get under my skin. When I say Christian he says, "You mean so-called."

• jgnat
    jgnat

My answer, there is no such thing as a genuine Christian. It's not like there are grades like sides of beef, or medals like the olympics. You are one or you aren't. A Christian is a follower of Christ. Perhaps a "follower of Jehovah" isn't.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

The answer is yes to both

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Rufus

Is "being a Christian" about what you do, or what you believe?

Is "being a JW" about what you do or what you believe?

• Giordano
    Giordano

1. A JW must feed the fantasy so a resounding NO! If you aren't one of us your not a real Christian. 2. Absofreakinglutely! Ask a JW with Bethel and/or Elder experience who has had contact with the exemplary witness who turns out to be very unchristian like. FAKING IT IS LEARNED EARLY AND PRACTICED OFTEN.

• Rufus T. Firefly
    Rufus T. Firefly

Deputy Dog: How did Jesus feel about those who said one thing but did the opposite? I don't believe what people say; I believe what they do. I hope this answers your question.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Most Witnesses would answer no to both I am sure. Then they would ask you why you are asking such strange questions, and maybe arrange a date between you and the elders if you want to discuss it further.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Rufus

I hope this answers your question.

No, actually it doesn't. To a JW and the WT it's ALL about what you do (it's easy to put on a show). To God it's about what we believe.

If you want to genuinely change your actions, change what you believe about God. That is the whole idea of being "genuine".

• sir82
    sir82

I think most JWs would definitely answer "no" to Q1.

But if you catch them in a relaxed mood, and you have their confidence, I think quite a few would respond "yes" to Q2.

Even super-duper JWs recognize that an awful lot of other JWs put on a "show" and are in it for the "prestige" of being an elder, pioneer, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit