JWs knocked on my door on Saturday, interesting experience...

by socstu 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• socstu
    socstu

Ding: Wow I'm genuinely impressed that you managed to get someone to come back alone, let alone leave! I really appreciate the detailed response, I will be interested to try using it. I think there is definitely a way I can use the same aproach but perhaps tailor it to the issues that I have personally with the orgnisation. That way, I shouldn't get tripped up. I suppose the ultimate message there is to play dumb and let them see the flaws themselves.

Steve2: I'm not sure why you can't see the link, I think like you said, it might be the computer your currently on. I wouldn't say it was an epiphany, it was one of the first times that I had come into contact with someone who was my age when I was in the religion. I was born and raised as a JW but left at 13, ever since then I only had connections with older adults. So to be able to interact with someone who essentially reminded me of myself brought back a lot of mixed emotions. Ultimately it changed the way I feel about the 'indoctrination' of young kids, whereas before I had remained fairly impartial since I feel I turned out rather well-balanced.

Like I said, not an epiphany, but I wanted to not only get my feelings down but perhaps open the conversation with people who have been in the same position as me and see how their experiences compared. The reason I linked to it was because I write these experiences to share with friends and family on my blog, but am also keen to share it with the people on this forum.

• Ding
    Ding

Scostu,

Actually, I give God the credit for getting through to that JW who came alone and then left the organization.

I believe that the question approach gives the best chance to get through to a JW, but that's no guarantee of success.

I once showed an elder copies of "old light" in Watctower publications and asked him to explain them. He denounced them as apostate literature. I said, "I really don't understand. How does a WT publication stop being `the truth' and turn into apostate literature?" He stalked out of my house and never talked to me again. Whether that encounter haunted him or whether he just dismissed it out of hand, I have no idea.

• socstu
    socstu

Ding: That's really quite amusing! I guess even the Elders don't have an answer for everything! :P

• moshe
    moshe
    once showed an elder copies of "old light" in Watctower publications and asked him to explain them.

My original 1920 WT stops JWs cold-- with the underlined study article-- Millions now living will never die-

• mind blown
    mind blown

it would be nice if you posted your background here on JWN, instead of directing us to your blog if you'd like conversation. You can copy and paste. If you need help, one of us can help.....

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks socstu - it can certainly be uncanny coming across people who remind us of ourselves when we were young and enthralled with the organization. I can still remember going door-to-door with a much older brother as a teenager. One 'householder - a young man perhaps a few years older than me - declared the Bible was rubbish and that evolution explains our existence. I was completely thrown and puzzled by that young man's confidence and hard attitude and I remained disturbed by it for a long time afterwards - yet I clung for dear life to the Watchtower, unable to accurately hear what others were saying. Boy, I was so young - and ignorant....

• zeb
    zeb

Why the hell do you guys bother?

Itslost time to argue with such people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit